User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So call me stupid but, why not weld in 3 inch channel between the left and right spring hangers? 3 times? Box it in so to speak.
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes removing the coroplast difficult if not impossible. Also tank replacement would probably be impossible. The idea behind the P/B is to take the lateral stress off the spring hangers. A cross member won’t do that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phonemannn View Post
    So call me stupid but, why not weld in 3 inch channel between the left and right spring hangers? 3 times? Box it in so to speak.
    Stupid, No.... This thread is a spin-off solution from 29 pages of discussion from this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Spring-Hanger!
    As Jim was indicating the idea here, is to try to eliminate the side to side forces at its source. May help with body roll when driving and side to side movement when moving around in trailer also.

This design clamps and bolts onto the frame or the 2x2 lift tube so it is removable.

BTW: Panhard Bar adjustment is one of the methods used to change handling in Nascar racing for example.

I will be installing my prototype set when weather allows.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose View Post
    Stupid, No.... This thread is a spin-off solution from 29 pages of discussion from this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Spring-Hanger!
    As Jim was indicating the idea here, is to try to eliminate the side to side forces at its source. May help with body roll when driving and side to side movement when moving around in trailer also.

This design clamps and bolts onto the frame or the 2x2 lift tube so it is removable.

BTW: Panhard Bar adjustment is one of the methods used to change handling in Nascar racing for example.

I will be installing my prototype set when weather allows.

Pat
    Would be interesting, Thanks..
    2017 F350 Lariat, Dual rear wheels
    2017 GD 311BHS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panhard Bar Install

Hi All,

Reviving old tread to report on Panhard Bar. Haven't been on for awhile, this forum can be like a drug that you can't kick.

Installed my Panhard Bar design on my Reflection 303RLS back in July. (This is a prototype....)

This installation should do a few things.
    1. Hopefully eliminate the possibility of broke spring hangers due to lateral flexing of the spring hangers.
    2. Reduce body roll of trailer
    3. Reduce side to side movement when parked.
    4. No heavy duty shackles
    5. No reinforced spring hanger

Here are some of the installation pics in July-19. At some point would like to get a Go-pro video of suspension while traveling.

My 303RLS does not have the 2"x2" frame lift so my setup uses clamp plates to the frame with Grade 8 NF hardware torqued to 90 ft l**. Cross member tubing is 1.5"x1.5" .120 wall tubing and Panhard Bar is 1.5" .120 wall 4130 Chrome Molly. Greasable 3/4" Heim Joints.

Please don't comment on my crappy welds (only done where high strength was not required, can't see to weld good anymore). Welds that required high strength were done by certified welder. Panhard Bar preheated and welded with 4130 filler/Heliarc.

I have designed a version for 303RLS with the 2"x2" lift which should be a bit easier to install.

Pat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamp on panhard.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	24081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_174.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	24077Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_176.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	24079Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_177.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	24080
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_175.jpg  
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panhard Bar - Initial Drive Test

Did an initial road test in July-19 of the Panhard Bars. Nothing broke.

Driving
    I did not have a rear sway bar yet on my truck at that time and have always felt what I would call push/roll, from the trailer in turns that always bothers me. Maybe its just me but the the push/roll seemed to be far less making it feel better in turns. Straight and hi-speed driving seemed to be normal. Full lock turns in parking lot both directions seemed normal with expected sidewall tire flex, but axles maintained side to side alignment from what I could tell.

Inspection at full lock turns in both directions on asphalt
    • Axles maintained alignment visually (hard to tell with all the tire flex)
    • No visual hard flexing of shackles
    • Springs seemed to be, not hard pressed into spring hangers at eyes
    • Spring hangers seemed to be straight
    • No flexing/bending of Panhard Bar components
    • All parts still in place

Other observations
    • Trailer seems to have less side to side movement when parked and level (off truck)
    • Fresh tank is supported by rear Panhard Bar cross frame (note that I don't have 2x2 suspension lift)

All in all, happy with results so far. Real trips will provide more info.

Road Test Pics PDF
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panhard Bar Road Test 1.pdf 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	24082

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panhard Bar - Road Trip

Took a few day trip to Casa de Fruta near Gilroy, CA a few months ago, about a 400 mile round trip. Met up with @J&G garage, @JCR GD and Keith and Judy (don't know their handle on this forum).

The Panhard Bar held up fine, but this was a fairly short trip in miles.
    • It seems to be a bit more stable in the wind
    • Turns at speed felt secure
    • Didn't bounce off of I-5 or break
    • Really tight turns felt a little more binding than usual (or its just me paying more attention). I think this is because everything is not flexing, so only side flex is tire sidewalls.
    • The best part was Jim ( @J&G garage) crawled under and I got a thumbs up from him.

So I guess only time will tell.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pat - thanks, for sharing an update. You and others have spent a fair amount of time on this item. Glad to hear it worked out pretty much as you projected. It is kinda cool looking too !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567