User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quieting an RV furnace update

This is an update on my earlier thread. On my Reflection 303rls the furnace sits under the shower and there is a cold air return behind the stool. To access the furnace area I pulled the panel off in the basement that lets you into the furnace/water pump and Knatleak panel rear. Then from the other side I removed the drawers in the hutch/bar in the kitchen. The hutch/bar is where the other cold air return is for the living area. The back of the drawer is open on the bottom half and completely open around the water heater. I cut and screwed a piece of 3/8" plywood on the bottom half ( broke up the line of site between the return and furnace) and installed 2" fiberglass insulation foil backed on the complete wall behind the drawers, on the floor and along the side of the drawers. I also glued the insulation to the back of the access door to the water heater. Then I glued the insulation between the aluminum tube purlins under the shower and drain for the shower. Even with this the shower still conducts some noise but, not near what it did. I may do a little more the break up the straight line between the bathroom return air louver. This work greatly quieted down the furnace noise and only took me one afternoon. The kitchen and living area is very quiet now. My wife is pleased with the way it sounds now in the bedroom.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea. Hopefully you took some pictures. If so, would be great to post some of those and see the process/results.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To the top please

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190826_174250.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	22192 Here is the back of the false door that covers the water heater . This is showing the foil backed batt insulation glued to it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    View of water heater compartment showing batt foil backed insulation on new baffle added to the opening between the heater compartment. Also added insulation on surrounding walls and floor.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190826_174202.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	22193 Note opening left at bottom for return air to the furnace. It is larger than it looks as area behind heater is open too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I removed the drawers that are above the return air opening in the hutch kick. I added insulation everywhere I felt it was necessary.Attachment 22194