User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    ThruHauler

369rl when the temperature drops below freezing?

New owner wondering what to expect in the cold. Are we insulated against winter? Can you still keep water in the system without the pipes bursting?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn on the tank heaters, the water heater and leave the furnace on high enough the keep the belly above freezing. Keep the water pump on too, water under pressure takes longer to freeze.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in ours when it was 20 degrees F. Nothing froze
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

SirCampsalot
    I am a rather safe than sorry guy. I would suggest that a small space heater in the basement and open any compartment door that might help move air under floors.

Happy Trails!

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've weathered mid-teens for a night or two (with 35 MPH winds, no less!) and mid-twenties for more than a week without problems. When it's going to freeze, I fill the fresh water tank and disconnect the outside/city water to avoid freezing damage to my hoses, pressure regulator, and filters. When I need to refill the fresh tank, I either wait until the temp is above freezing for a few hours in the afternoon or plug in and heat up my heated water supply hose. Our reflection doesn't have tank heaters, but the tanks and water utilities are enclosed in the heated underbelly. We keep the thermostat on at least 55 at night for our comfort, so the ducted, insulated underbelly stays warm enough not to freeze.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stayed in our 320rl during weekends last fall and early winter with Temps in the teens at night. We always left funrace at 40, space heater in basement plugged into a cube (turns on at 36), space heater in livingroom plugged into a cube, water heater off, pump off, all tank heaters on. No issues last year, will do the same in our 369 this fall and early winter. I would turn furnace down to 40 if it were to get into single digits at night. I also have a modified access panel in basement made out of plexiglass with 2 inch holes in it for increased circulation in basement, plexiglass allows me to monitor that area (water leaks, mouse traps,etc )without removing panel. Panel is easily removed with four clips if necessary. Good luck!!
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Official home, NW Missouri. In Solitude mostly now
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stay all winter in ours. Last year hit zero several times, the Solitude is a very well insulated rv, if you run the furnace, you won't shouldn't have any problems with freezing up.any people make the mistake of using electric heaters, which do not heat your underbelly and docking center

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2015 RAM Cummins B&W Companion Slider

2015 Solitude 365DEN

Anthony, Amanda, and their 2 munchkins. Fulltiming.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any experience camping in extremely cold weather with our 337. But I plead with you and anyone else, DO NOT PLACE A SPACE HEATER IN THE BASEMENT AREA!. Space heaters are only intended for use while you are in the immediate area and can watch them. I'm a firefighter with 28 years experience and have seen far to many homes burned because of unattended space heaters. Please be safe! Thanks, Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    Reflection 337 #217, SOLD 7-3-2017
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

SirCampsalot
    Quote Originally Posted by tfdcc View Post
    I don't have any experience camping in extremely cold weather with our 337. But I plead with you and anyone else, DO NOT PLACE A SPACE HEATER IN THE BASEMENT AREA!. Space heaters are only intended for use while you are in the immediate area and can watch them. I'm a firefighter with 28 years experience and have seen far to many homes burned because of unattended space heaters. Please be safe! Thanks, Chris
    Chris you are exactly right and thank you for bringing this to the forefront of this thread. You would only CONSIDER a additional heat source in an extreme case. It is NOT a set it and forget it.

This really only affects full timers. Other options would be draining and blowing out all water lines and holding tanks until the weather softens. For full timers this may be difficult if they have nowhere else to go.

Recreational users would normally just winterize their rigs until the following season.

Happy Trails!