User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How quickly I forget.

When we were boondocking last winter and living in the unit, we were using electricity for many things and we ran the fridge on gas. For Christmas we visited family and left the rig for two weeks. We put the fridge on "electric & gas." As far as I can tell, it never switched over to gas.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I might have posted this already but our little 8cuft fridge uses 30a to run on the inverter and we pull in about 75a with solar so we normally run the fridge on electric during the day while boondocking, LP at night.
    Rarely dip below 95% SoC during the day, even using microwave etc, we’re at about 65% by morning and are back to 100% by Noonish.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I might have posted this already but our little 8cuft fridge uses 30a to run on the inverter and we pull in about 75a with solar so we normally run the fridge on electric during the day while boondocking, LP at night.
    Rarely dip below 95% SoC during the day, even using microwave etc, we’re at about 65% by morning and are back to 100% by Noonish.
    Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    How quickly I forget.

When we were boondocking last winter and living in the unit, we were using electricity for many things and we ran the fridge on gas. For Christmas we visited family and left the rig for two weeks. We put the fridge on "electric & gas." As far as I can tell, it never switched over to gas.
    Doing some quick internet research (so none of it may be true) compressor fridge usually has a 50% duty cycle 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Absorption fridge runs all the time and sucks lots of power if on electric mode. So if compressor fridge pulls 10A with a 50% duty cycle it is averaging 5A. That is 1/6 of the load of DMB pulling, 30A during the day. Al has been running his fridge full time on electric since Christmas. It sounds like with a properly sized big Amp system (like you two have) you could run a compressor fridge. Someone on RV Forums says he is doing that on his motor home. For security I would have a generator just in case of multiple cloudy days. And if I am wrong... I can always replace it with an absorption fridge.
    Future Grand Design Owner

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Max View Post
    Doing some quick internet research (so none of it may be true) compressor fridge usually has a 50% duty cycle 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Absorption fridge runs all the time and sucks lots of power if on electric mode. So if compressor fridge pulls 10A with a 50% duty cycle it is averaging 5A. That is 1/6 of the load of DMB pulling, 30A during the day. Al has been running his fridge full time on electric since Christmas. It sounds like with a properly sized big Amp system (like you two have) you could run a compressor fridge. Someone on RV Forums says he is doing that on his motor home. For security I would have a generator just in case of multiple cloudy days. And if I am wrong... I can always replace it with an absorption fridge.
    You’re right.
    I did the math months ago and figured out a similar sized residential fridge would use about half the electricity.
    Since we have so much in reserve there is no real need to switch, but if we ever do have to replace the fridge we would move to a residential model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    You’re right.
    I did the math months ago and figured out a similar sized residential fridge would use about half the electricity.
    Since we have so much in reserve there is no real need to switch, but if we ever do have to replace the fridge we would move to a residential model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! One of my many decisions solved! We will go -R.

Max
    Future Grand Design Owner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123