User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How old are your Propane Tanks ?

When we bought our Reflection, I remember noticing that the propane tanks looked rather "old" . . . the paint was all chalked. But, there were more important things to worry about at PDI.

Getting a tank filled today and a closer inspection reveals that these are 2009 tanks. WTF! GDRV was not even in business in 2009! My 5 year old RV has 10 year old propane tanks.

My understanding is that GDRV ships every rig with new (but empty) propane tanks. My guess is that my dealer switched out the tanks that came with my Reflection for tanks that were full . . . they just happened to be five years older.

Since propane tanks can only be refilled for 10 years from date of manufacture, I need to buy new tanks next year.

Checking the date of manufacture on the propane tanks would be a good thing to add to your PDI check list.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 10-25-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob - you don't upgrade the tanks.....you get a different RV.......c'mon on man ! The rv industry was still recovering back then so old tanks would not surprise me. What makes you think your dealer pulled the old switcheroo ? How do you know that GDRV did not get a batch of old tanks ? Jerry's feedback on this will be interesting.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of months ago I had two BBQ tanks out of date. Took them to the local fuel jobber & they checked for leaks then re certified one & it was refilled. The other had a leak at the valve. They put a certification sticker on the tank that is good for another 10 (or 12...I think that is what they are originally cert for but not sure). But if it wasn't for flash backs, I'd have no memory at all!
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip Rob. I'll make sure to check the tanks on the new rig- if it ever shows up.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, tanks are certified for 10 years. Your dealer or local LP supplier should be able to re-certify.

Sounds like a switch out happened somewhere along the line.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    When we bought our Reflection, I remember noticing that the propane tanks looked rather "old" . . . the paint was all chalked. But, there were more important things to worry about at PDI.

Getting a tank filled today and a closer inspection reveals that these are 2009 tanks. WTF! GDRV was not even in business in 2009! My 5 year old RV has 10 year old propane tanks.

My understanding is that GDRV ships every rig with new (but empty) propane tanks. My guess is that my dealer switched out the tanks that came with my Reflection for tanks that were full . . . they just happened to be five years older.

Since propane tanks can only be refilled for 10 years from date of manufacture, I need to buy new tanks next year.

Checking the date of manufacture on the propane tanks would be a good thing to add to your PDI check list.

Rob
    I've also suspected this behavior from dealers on the supplied batteries since there is no date code punched out. Back to tanks.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing the Jan 2017 DOT 12yr to 10yr rule change for requalification of DOT cylinders.
    I mentioned it to my propane supplier when refilling this year. He told me the industry had pushed back against the rule and it was still 12yr.

I see what happened is the NPGA got the DOT to stop the enforcement while they review the rule change. DOT Halts 10-Year Cylinder Requalification Enforcement Pending Further Review

So depending on what's stamped on your cylinder, or who's refilling, could be 10 or 12 years.
    I read Canada was 10 years already.

I had always just bought new tanks when my cylinder's 12 year requalification date came up.

https://www.lpgasmagazine.com/dot-cy...ane-marketers/
    "The rule reduces the initial requalification period for DOT cylinders from 12 years to 10 years from the date of manufacture. It reduces the period from 12 years to 10 years for cylinders requalified using volumetric expansion testing. However, the requalification period for DOT cylinders following a proof pressure test increases from seven years to 10 years. The five-year visual inspection method for cylinder requalification does not change."

Gene
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how much do they charge to recertify the tanks.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor Gold Country Livin''s Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    how much do they charge to recertify the tanks.
    Here at our place locally, it's free. Some I had years ago were too old, others they put a new sticker on.
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
    2017 Reflection 303 RLS #13156 3/2017
    B & W turnover ball with Andersen Ultimate
    Disc Brakes
    TireTraker TT-505 tpms

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can bring your to a local refilling station and get them recertifications for free
    Darwin & Linda
    Southern, Idaho
    2014 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
    2016 Solitude 300GK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast