User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30lb Propane tanks

Normally this would be a non-issue since RV parks I've stayed at included electricity (read free cooling and heating). But in Colorado they want you set up on your own utility account which makes using the propane furnace as my only heat source more appealing. The question is, which 30lb tanks, is this practical? In 30 degree weather, about how long will a tank commonly last firing the 35,000 btu furnace?

If it makes much difference, my rig is a reflection 337RLS, and I have insulated the windows.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chemist308 - There are a number of discussions on wintering in a Grand Design 5th wheel. Use the search tool in the upper right corner. Threads like this will be what you are looking for. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...173#post133173 Skirting seems like an important addition. Two to three days per 30 lb tank at 30F seems to be a good estimate, but this goes up quickly at colder temperatures.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To estimate propane usage:

There are approximately 91,000 BTUs in a gallon of propane or 21,600 BTUs per pound.

A 30 pound cylinder holds approximately 7 gallons of propane.

When the furnace is running it will run through a gallon of propane every 2.6 hours. 91,000 / 35,000.

Thankfully the furnace doesn’t run constantly. The trick in estimating usage is guessing how often and how long the furnace runs.

Also, when comparing the cost of electricity to propane you need to take into account the furnace efficiency. The furnace burns 35,000 BTUS per hour, but is not 100% efficient. For estimating efficiency I would use 70 to 80%. Example: furnace runs constantly for 1 hour, it uses 35,000 BTUs of propane and at 70% efficiency the coach sees 35,000 * .7 BTUs of heat.

Things to consider when staying the winter in cold areas:

Will the park allow a bulk tank to be installed? Usually these are more economical and more convenient than constantly filling 30 pound tanks.

Cost of electricity: parks that have meters at each site and bill the customer have a hefty markup. Recently saw a park charging 19 cents per kilowatt hour. It doesn’t sound like you will be dealing with this as the account is in your name.

Edit: one more factoid the 5,000 BTU (Grand Design's number) from the electric fireplace uses just under 1.5 kilowatts per hour.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow "Other Rob's" advice and use the search function. I'll add that a lot depends on the comparative cost of electricity per KWH and propane per gallon. At the Escapees park in Aguanga, CA, they had a contract with a propane company that made propane so inexpensive in was a non-issue (they also only charged $2.00 a month for 50 amp service!). In Las Cruces, NM, El Paso Electric charges so much for electricity (and the local propane prices are good), that once-a-week trips to the propane dealer made a lot of sense. Other places, the prices are reversed. You'll have to plug your local prices into Colan's formulas to figure out your situation.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colan - Great info . . . Thanks!
    I had forgotten about factoring in the heating efficiency. There is a lot of waste heat coming out that furnace exhaust.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can focus on cost if you wish, but keep in mind the propane furnace keeps the tanks heated. That means burning propane. We are looking at our 4th year of wintering at a ski resort. It costs us about $400 a month to heat the RV. We try to get a 130 gallon tank from the local propane company, they come and fill it. If we can't get that done then I have 2 30 pound tanks and one 40 pound tank. When the temps are in the teens and below I will burn a 30 pound tank every other day. So with the addition of the 40 pound tank I can get fills about every 3-4 days.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you insulate your windows?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajeffcoat02 View Post
    How did you insulate your windows?
    Of whom are you asking the question? Use the "Reply With Quote" next to "Reply" and folks will know who needs to answer.

We cut Reflectix ("bubble foil") insulation to fit in the window frames on the inside. It works well and you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. My wife hates the cave feel when it's in, but it keeps things warmer (and cooler in the summer with direct sun on the side of the rig).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Duck Window Insulation Kits when I feel the need for more insulation. It comes in various sizes and is a pain to install, but when properly sealed is creates a good air buffer between the glass and indoor air.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    You can focus on cost if you wish, but keep in mind the propane furnace keeps the tanks heated. That means burning propane. We are looking at our 4th year of wintering at a ski resort. It costs us about $400 a month to heat the RV. We try to get a 130 gallon tank from the local propane company, they come and fill it. If we can't get that done then I have 2 30 pound tanks and one 40 pound tank. When the temps are in the teens and below I will burn a 30 pound tank every other day. So with the addition of the 40 pound tank I can get fills about every 3-4 days.
    That is Great info and I wish I would have known that two days ago. I decided on NOT winterizing our 2018 310GK on Monday, because we are still planning on going places here in Texas this winter. It doesn't get that cold but for a few days. I turned on the furnace and the Tank Heaters Monday afternoon and it got down to 24 F that night and the same last night. I went and checked everything Tuesday noon and again this morning and furnace was running as it should with temp set at 68. Something told me to check the Propane and sure enough, one tank was empty, and the other seemed empty but still had some Propane left. It was 40 F out, so I turned off the furnace and took the tanks to get refilled. Don't need to keep heat on tonight, but it showed that Friday early, 4 AM morning, it will get to 28 F. I will put the heater back on Thursday afternoon. Question ?, Is it normal for Propane tank to have frost on the bottom Half? The curbside tank had frost on it, and never saw that before. Also, do you have to have water in the Tanks if you turn on the tank heaters? I have drained the tanks prior to leaving from our last trip. I also verified that the fresh water tank was empty on Monday. Another RV er at our storage park was telling me that his LANDMARK has " YETI," Tank heaters, and that those will melt your tanks if they don't have some water in them. Does Grand Design use "YETI," Heaters?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mike and Jane, Two retired Educators/ One retired Army Aviator
    3 Mini Tri AUSIES
    2018 310 GK 2019 Chevy Duramax 3500 4W/D SRW L/B
    BW 18000 lb Hitch, BACKFLIP TONNAU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast