User Tag List

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Solution to water loss while traveling

Many of us have had issues with the loss of water when traveling. Most of the tanks installed by GD have the vent port on the side of the tanks at the top. As there are no baffles in the tanks that I know of, water will surge (splash) around in the tank forcing water out of the vent pipe. On hills and side slopes water will also flow out of the vent port. The quick solution was to put a valve on the vent tube, but this could lead to a collapsed tank if not opened when you use the water pump.

My solution uses a commonly available air/vac valve at a high point to let air flow in and out of the tank normally, while still allow the use of a valve to stop the overflow from draining when in motion.

The ball drain valve is a 3/4" and all fittings shark-bite. The air/vac valve is also 3/4" and set about 24" above the tank. I ran the line forward and came up through the belly area of the basement by the door. It allows air to move in and out and has a bug screen built in. Its a typical air/vac valve used in drip irrigation systems, etc. So now when I fill the tank all I need to do is open the vent drain valve and fill normally until water runs out. The turn off the fill, let the tank stabilize and then close the valve. The air/vac takes care of the need to have air enter the tank when the pump is used and allows air to move in and out as water surges inside too.

Installation pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0079.jpg   IMG_0078.jpg   IMG_0080.jpg   IMG_0081.jpg   IMG_0083.jpg  

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here is a close up of the air vac valve. I got the pex and shark-bite fittings at Home Depot and the air vac from my local irrigation parts shop, but HD may have something equivalent. So folks know when filling this valve will let air out of the tank, but if water gets to the valve (you left the drain valve closed) it will seal and not allow anything else out. So it is important to still have the drain/vent valve in place and open when filling. I added a note to my panel to remind me. Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0082.jpg  
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Here is a close up of the air vac valve. I got the pex and shark-bite fittings at Home Depot and the air vac from my local irrigation parts shop, but HD may have something equivalent. So folks know when filling this valve will let air out of the tank, but if water gets to the valve (you left the drain valve closed) it will seal and not allow anything else out. So it is important to still have the drain/vent valve in place and open when filling. I added a note to my panel to remind me. Hope this helps.
    Good plan.

We discussed an option in another post under plumbing, instead of using a shut off valve completely, use a pressure relief valve. It will keep the water from sloshing out, but if too much pressure is created it will release the pressure.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Good plan.

We discussed an option in another post under plumbing, instead of using a shut off valve completely, use a pressure relief valve. It will keep the water from sloshing out, but if too much pressure is created it will release the pressure.
    But will it allow air into the tank during use. If it just jets pressure out, the tank may collapse when you take water from it if there is no way to get the air in. Just thinking here.

I did test it by driving around a bit and then draining the tank without the vent drain valve open. Air/vac valve worked OK and draining the tank is the max air draw that will occur.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    But will it allow air into the tank during use. If it just jets pressure out, the tank may collapse when you take water from it if there is no way to get the air in. Just thinking here.

I did test it by driving around a bit and then draining the tank without the vent drain valve open. Air/vac valve worked OK and draining the tank is the max air draw that will occur.
    I think we're on the same page. I was suggested the pressure relief in conjunction with your AAV.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I think we're on the same page. I was suggested the pressure relief in conjunction with your AAV.
    I went over and read your thread on the pressure relief. The 5 PSI minimum may be too high. Remember that pressure will be on all sides of the tank - that would be a huge force. Also this solution does not require pulling the belly material. Just attach to the vent line and go forward and/or up to above the tank . Trick is to get the air/vac above the tank somewhere.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there also a tank vent right next to the gravity fill port? My Imagine has that vent, , maybe they don't use it?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    Isn't there also a tank vent right next to the gravity fill port? My Imagine has that vent, , maybe they don't use it?
    If you have a gravity fill port you should not need this as most I have seen are above the tank. Do you loose water while traveling?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TyeeMan View Post
    I have yet to see one of these actually plumbed in... though I've not checked GD units so hoping! Every Jayco I've ever seen the "vent" beside the fill port is left unconnected... twits.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    I have yet to see one of these actually plumbed in... though I've not checked GD units so hoping! Every Jayco I've ever seen the "vent" beside the fill port is left unconnected... twits.
    It's interesting that you say that come to think of it. Our last camper was a Sunny Brook, and whenever I gravity filled the water tank you could hear the displaced air and some bubbles and such coming back through this vent. Perhaps on the GD it's not connected as they have the overflow/vent coming out the bottom of the trailer.
    When I gravity fill the tank on our 2970RL I don't hear or see anything coming from the vent by the filler.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast