User Tag List

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Since the vent is now so much higher than the tank, I don't think the valve is needed any more.
    A little may spillout, and I talking about a cupfulls. Try leaving it open on a trip. I bet it is not needed.... If so, then that is the perfect fix. No need to remember to open the valve.
    If you leave the lower drain valve open the tank will siphon during travel, just as before. Not having a lower drain valve and relying on the vent pipe to overflow can possibly damage the tank as by the time the water comes out the top of the vent the tank will be overfilled. With the vent pipe end above the tank you can leave the drain valve closed during operation. There can be water in the line after travel, but it will probably be drawn back into the dank during use (mine does). After using about 1/3 tank I do open this valve to be sure everything is venting, A few times I have gotten a cup or two of water out (what was in the vent line). To winterizes you need to be able to drain the vent line, so the drain valve is needed for that too.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    If you leave the lower drain valve open the tank will siphon during travel, just as before. Not having a lower drain valve and relying on the vent pipe to overflow can possibly damage the tank as by the time the water comes out the top of the vent the tank will be overfilled. With the vent pipe end above the tank you can leave the drain valve closed during operation. There can be water in the line after travel, but it will probably be drawn back into the dank during use (mine does). After using about 1/3 tank I do open this valve to be sure everything is venting, A few times I have gotten a cup or two of water out (what was in the vent line). To winterizes you need to be able to drain the vent line, so the drain valve is needed for that too.

Hope this helps
    I do not need to winterize in Phoenix, so I had not considered that.
    I still think for my use, a valve is not needed. Yes it will fill the tank 100% full, and there will be a little extra in the pex line going to the propane compartment,but it will not be under pressure and open to the atmosphere, so that little bit of water in the line will do no harm.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The overflow pipe is tied to a fitting at the very top of the tank on the side. As the tank is mounted directly under the floor there is not enough room up top. No portion of the vent pipe extends into the tank. There have been several pictures of it posted here and at the other place. Also on the GD Facebook site, As for opening the main tank drain and the gurgling and and sucking, that normal. There is no way a 3/4 vent pipe can keep up with venting an 1 1/2" valve opening.

Hope this helps.
    I've looked for pictures of how the vent is tied to the tank, but never found any. It doesn't make sense how after 2 days, including showers, that the tank would still siphon water.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do not need to winterize in Phoenix, so I had not considered that.
    I still think for my use, a valve is not needed. Yes it will fill the tank 100% full, and there will be a little extra in the pex line going to the propane compartment,but it will not be under pressure and open to the atmosphere, so that little bit of water in the line will do no harm.
    Ok - its up to you but think of something. That water is going to sit in that line forever and at you Phoenix temperatures it will grow who knows what. Without a drain valve you will have no way to get rid of it.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok - its up to you but think of something. That water is going to sit in that line forever and at you Phoenix temperatures it will grow who knows what. Without a drain valve you will have no way to get rid of it.
    Forever is a long time.
    Fortunantly it will only sit there until I fill the tank again.... Since I use my trailer a LOT... I am not wooried.

Think about this.... Do you totally purge all of the water from all of your lines after every use?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forever is a long time.
    Fortunantly it will only sit there until I fill the tank again.... Since I use my trailer a LOT... I am not wooried.

Think about this.... Do you totally purge all of the water from all of your lines after every use?
    I purge at the end of the season, winterize with antifreeze, then purge again. In the spring I blow it out again and I sanitize. I also sanitize before the next trip if it has sat more than a month, I have also sanitized mid trip if I run across questionable water. I always carry a bottle of bleach and a box of baking soda in the trailer.

Having clean safe water is something my father taught me and being an engineer and having designed and built several water and waste water plants I take water quality seriously for my family.

Happy and safe travels.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    I've looked for pictures of how the vent is tied to the tank, but never found any. It doesn't make sense how after 2 days, including showers, that the tank would still siphon water.
    Here is a picture of a GD water tank install

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water tank.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	30508

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purge at the end of the season, winterize with antifreeze, then purge again. In the spring I blow it out again and I sanitize. I also sanitize before the next trip if it has sat more than a month, I have also sanitized mid trip if I run across questionable water. I always carry a bottle of bleach and a box of baking soda in the trailer.

Having clean safe water is something my father taught me and being an engineer and having designed and built several water and waste water plants I take water quality seriously for my family.

Happy and safe travels.
    How do you sanitize your S&B house water pipes when you have been away for a month?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of a GD water tank install

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	water tank.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	30508
    Can you make the pic bigger? When I try to zoom in, it gets badly pixelated

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can you make the pic bigger? When I try to zoom in, it gets badly pixelated
    Unfortunately not. I cut it from a post at the other place (GD's site) But it is clear even in the small picture the blue vent tube has a fitting on the side. It comes out, goes up over and then down which creates a siphon when water surges in the tank. Contact GD customer service and the may be able to send you one of you trailer. The other place is use GD's parts look up for your trailer. A picture of the tank should be there.

Hope this helps

On edit I noticed you r398M has 2 fresh water tanks. I definitely wold call GD to see how they are plumed together. Something may be different for you to still have issues. There are also better experts over at the other site.
    Last edited by powerscol; 11-01-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast