User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Slide toppers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have recently finished the installation of the third slide topper (dinette slide) on our Reflection 337. I chose the Solera awnings just because I like they way they look and the bracket install. As has been mentioned before, the topper length for the dinette slide needs to be carefully measured since the topper will not be centered over the slide and if too long, it will not reach the rear bracket. In our case, I used a 12 ft. long unit.

The slide topper brackets are lined up over the existing awning brackets and to the inside of the square corner trim pieces. For a Solera, the screws still go into the slide top frame tube below the roofline. The topper is lined up with about 1 inch between the front topper bracket and the front awning rear arm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	19613

As you can see, there is plenty of space for the slide topper and rear awning to coexist.

Name:	Clearance.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	19614

Rear bracket view.

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	19615

Instead of butyl caulk, I used 3M black double sided tape melted holes through the tape in the screw holes (soldering iron, torch and nail, etc.) This has the advantage of providing a good seal and holding the bracket in place while installing the screws. Even though the screws are self drilling, I still like to drill pilot holes for the screws. Finished by sealing around the brackets and whatever spots GD missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the response and pictures. I called my dealer and they were no help and argued with me saying that GD does not put on from factory for slide toppers and GD support was horrible when I called them. Iv been looking at care free of Colorado for toppers but could not get good dimensions from them either.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic Pictures Thanks So Much
    David & Kyrenda
    2010 Ford F-250 Diesel
    2019 Reflection 337rls
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    We have a 315RLTS with 2 awnings and we have a slide topper on that slide.
    Attachment 15960
    Hi. We have the 2018 315RLTS with the second awning also. Ready to add slide toppers. Glad to know that it CAN be added to the slide with the 2nd awning too. I think I saw that you went with the Dometic in black. Did you choose the Elite Slidetopper EZ? It looks to be the best one they offer. Did you install yourself, and if so, how difficult were they? And are you still happy with your brand choice? Any other advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how did you attach the slide topper with second awning? or attached where

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayercc View Post
    how did you attach the slide topper with second awning? or attached where
    I have yet to order any slide toppers, although I've narrowed down what I'm going to order, based on what 315RLTSinPA said in this forum and the conversation I had with a RV dealer who was very helpful. What you're probably referring to is a question I was asking of 315RLTSinPA, who said in this thread that he'd installed a slide topper above the second awning. He said, and showed photos, that there was enough room to do so. I did call Grand Design and confirmed that the awning on our unit are Dometic and are vinyl as I was curious about that.
    Kim & Deborah - Austin, TX
    2017 Ford F250 King Ranch 4WD (6.7L Power Stroke Diesel)
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS TT

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DBH_MI View Post
    I have recently finished the installation of the third slide topper (dinette slide) on our Reflection 337. I chose the Solera awnings just because I like they way they look and the bracket install. As has been mentioned before, the topper length for the dinette slide needs to be carefully measured since the topper will not be centered over the slide and if too long, it will not reach the rear bracket. In our case, I used a 12 ft. long unit.

The slide topper brackets are lined up over the existing awning brackets and to the inside of the square corner trim pieces. For a Solera, the screws still go into the slide top frame tube below the roofline. The topper is lined up with about 1 inch between the front topper bracket and the front awning rear arm.

Name:	Front.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	19613

As you can see, there is plenty of space for the slide topper and rear awning to coexist.

Name:	Clearance.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	19614

Rear bracket view.

Name:	Rear.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	19615

Instead of butyl caulk, I used 3M black double sided tape melted holes through the tape in the screw holes (soldering iron, torch and nail, etc.) This has the advantage of providing a good seal and holding the bracket in place while installing the screws. Even though the screws are self drilling, I still like to drill pilot holes for the screws. Finished by sealing around the brackets and whatever spots GD missed.
    Thanks for the pictures and instructions. I’m putting slide toppers on my GD 303RSL. Do you happen to know the width of your dinette on your trailer? The width of the 303RLS dinette is 142” to the outside of flanges. If it’s the same as your model, I’ll order the same topper width that you did. Thanks,
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than having more things to break, never really understood why you add slide toppers. Been rving since '98 and never seen a need for them yet.
    Solution in search of a problem perhaps?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Other than having more things to break, never really understood why you add slide toppers. Been rving since '98 and never seen a need for them yet.
    It sure makes it easier to retract the slides. Don’t have to worry about branches, water, etc. combining into the camper or tearing the seals. No getting up on the roof to clean the solders off.

We have them on all three slides on our 303 and had them on our previous camper as well. I think I’ll have them on our next camper too. Never had an issue.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Love 'em and am planning to have them installed on our new-to-us Momentum 351M. They keep the direct sun off the slideouts,
    which helps a ton to keep the interior cooler.They keep the leaves, branches, and such on the outside where they belong. If it's raining, snowing, or heavy frost, all the moisture stays
    outside where it belongs. If you park under fir trees, or oak trees, you don't have to worry about sweeping off the top of the slide before you bring it in. A wonderful solution to a problem.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast