User Tag List

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Rob&Vicki, what springs did you put in to get that ride height?
    GD did send the same ones (1750#) the first time and we persisted they wouldn't improve the ride height. After getting Emily involved they did finally send the 2200# pound springs that are being used now in the later 2800BH. I still have the 3500 pound Lippert axles but they are okay with no issues. A local RV repair shop did say the springs were the answer and the axles would be fine. From what I understand the axle tubes are the same on the 3500's versus the 4400's, only difference being the spindles and 5 lug hubs to the 6 lug hubs. The RV shop didn't think that would be a problem with these trailers. Btw, I have 4 1750# springs GD didn't want back. They are fairly cheap. Keep after them to send the right ones!
    We did a short trip with it after changing the springs and adding the morryde, to me it made a nice improvement to the ride and added the much needed ride height.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    GD did send the same ones (1750#) the first time and we persisted they wouldn't improve the ride height. After getting Emily involved they did finally send the 2200# pound springs that are being used now in the later 2800BH. I still have the 3500 pound Lippert axles but they are okay with no issues. A local RV repair shop did say the springs were the answer and the axles would be fine. From what I understand the axle tubes are the same on the 3500's versus the 4400's, only difference being the spindles and 5 lug hubs to the 6 lug hubs. The RV shop didn't think that would be a problem with these trailers. Btw, I have 4 1750# springs GD didn't want back. They are fairly cheap. Keep after them to send the right ones!
    We did a short trip with it after changing the springs and adding the morryde, to me it made a nice improvement to the ride and added the much needed ride height.
    I’m not happy with my replacement springs either..... I should have fought harder for the 2200#.... funny thing is, you’d think GD would nip this immediately. How many people dip their pinky toe in to RVing by purchasing a smallish travel trailer? And then they upgrade to something else that fits them better? We are already considering upgrading, and as we start looking, do we stick with a Grand Design when they’ve been kinda ho-hum about fixing an OBVIOUS problem? I’m not talking shoddy craftsmanship or mistakes, I’m upset that my suspension even AFTER replacement & the addition of MORryde, still less than stellar height and weight support. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GD fan, but this is a bit on the ridiculous side when looking from a high level view.... my two cents.
    Jim

2017 F-250 6.7L Fx4 Lariat Long Bed Crew Cab “Daisy”
    using Blue Ox Swaypro 1500S towing
    2018 Imagine 2800BH “River”
    ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000
    Champion 3400w Dual-Fuel Inverter Generator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skirugger View Post
    I’m not happy with my replacement springs either..... I should have fought harder for the 2200#.... funny thing is, you’d think GD would nip this immediately. How many people dip their pinky toe in to RVing by purchasing a smallish travel trailer? And then they upgrade to something else that fits them better? We are already considering upgrading, and as we start looking, do we stick with a Grand Design when they’ve been kinda ho-hum about fixing an OBVIOUS problem? I’m not talking shoddy craftsmanship or mistakes, I’m upset that my suspension even AFTER replacement & the addition of MORryde, still less than stellar height and weight support. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a GD fan, but this is a bit on the ridiculous side when looking from a high level view.... my two cents.
    We started out with a Jayco 24 foot and thought it would sleep four comfortably but ended up it would only do three and a half. The couch was to small for anything but a young child. The trailer had a few issues but the biggest one was the dealer could not find the short in the wiring going to the lights up front and it kept blowing fuses. Their fix was to install a breaker instead of a fuse. That and the fact it wouldn't sleep that many was the reason going to the GD2800BH. For the most part the trailer has been good with the exception of the springs which has been fixed. We took that trailer to Alaska before we knew there was a problem with the springs and it performed just fine even after finding the springs were going flat. We just moved the heavy stuff from the back to the front and into the pickup, also took the load equalizer off to take weight off the axles. We had some tire rub underneath but just watched it really close. We are thinking later to updating to the 28BH fifth wheel later but will give it a good inspection before taking delivery!
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking later to updating to the 28BH fifth wheel later but will give it a good inspection before taking delivery!
    We are eyeballing the Solitudes & the Reflections, but in all honesty, I’m a little frozen on continuing. Neither the Solitude or the Reflections offer exactly the floorplan we’d like, or one has something & the other doesn’t etc, but I can’t drop that kind of $$$ when I’m unsure of the major components of the rig.... I’m a discerning buyer but I also look at little things as a minor annoyance that I can often fix myself. But I can’t fix big stuff (nor do I want to) & if GD is trying to save a few bucks on the big ticket things, it makes me nervous to stay in the product line. Again, I’m not laying a stinker on GD, I’m just disappointed they didn’t/haven’t said “ok everyone, let’s get these fixed right, the first time”. My money backs up my mouth when it comes to purchasing things, and now I’ve got to figure out how much this suspension thing really bothers me.
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Skirugger;239710]We are eyeballing the Solitudes & the Reflections, but in all honesty, I’m a little frozen on continuing. Neither the Solitude or the Reflections offer exactly the floorplan we’d like, or one has something & the other doesn’t etc, but I can’t drop that kind of $$$ when I’m unsure of the major components of the rig.... I’m a discerning buyer but I also look at little things as a minor annoyance that I can often fix myself. But I can’t fix big stuff (nor do I want to) & if GD is trying to save a few bucks on the big ticket things, it makes me nervous to stay in the product line. Again, I’m not laying a stinker on GD, I’m just disappointed they didn’t/haven’t said “ok everyone, let’s get these fixed right, the first time”. My money backs up my mouth when it comes to purchasing things, and now I’ve got to figure out how much this suspension thing really bothers me.[/QUOT

It would of been better if they would have stepped up right away and admit there was a miscalculation in the suspensions. When the 2019 models came out with the heavier axles and springs they knew there was an issue going on with older models. The RV shop I deal with used to sell new trailers but around 2009 they quit doing that because of the quality and decided to do repair work only. They basically said they are just about all the same, low quality control. I'm glad I can actually do most of my own work as far as suspension, electrical, and plumbing. But so far the suspension has been the only issue.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob&Vicki, if the 2200 springs will solve the issue then i’ll Push for that. I don’t really want to swap rims and tires if I don’t have to lol.

cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m all for standing up for myself but also look at cost vs. aggravation factor. These leaf springs are not that expensive. I’d give GD one final call and if no satisfaction, just buy the darn things from etrailer, install them and move on.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post
    I’m all for standing up for myself but also look at cost vs. aggravation factor. These leaf springs are not that expensive. I’d give GD one final call and if no satisfaction, just buy the darn things from etrailer, install them and move on.
    I'd love to, however dealer will not honor warranty if GD does not approve them. I still have some warranty left and based upon the track record of some of the trailers on here, I'm trying to hold on to it until the last day!

Now if things get stupid, that is exactly what I will do, warranty be damned.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    I'd love to, however dealer will not honor warranty if GD does not approve them. I still have some warranty left and based upon the track record of some of the trailers on here, I'm trying to hold on to it until the last day!

Now if things get stupid, that is exactly what I will do, warranty be damned.
    Thorvald, I was ready to go down that road myself if they had not came through with the heavier springs. Good thing is they aren't that expensive. The 2200# springs are just the ticket to the problem. If you put the 2200's next to 1750's you'll see a good size difference. After I put them in and loaded up the trailer they have a good arch to them compared to the old springs when even empty they were close to being flat.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thorvald, I was ready to go down that road myself if they had not came through with the heavier springs. Good thing is they aren't that expensive. The 2200# springs are just the ticket to the problem. If you put the 2200's next to 1750's you'll see a good size difference. After I put them in and loaded up the trailer they have a good arch to them compared to the old springs when even empty they were close to being flat.
    I am wondering what it would cost to have the springs upgraded to 2200# with labor? Anybody have a guess?
    Jim

ReTrax MX Pro Tonneau
    70” Thule Rack System
    MORryde CRE 3000

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast