User Tag List

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It took about 4 hours each side but the first side was bear since I didn’t know the tricks yet... second side went quicker.

Old hardware came right off with small M12 impact gun, learned my lesson the hard way, undo the nut not the bolt... the bolts are pressed in with splines and not meant to rotate. Thank god I was replacing the shackles. The spring nuts almost came off by hand... I suspect this was because they re-used the old nuts and they no longer locked. Likely they didn’t read the Dexter manual and know the torque setting too (I.e. they did Gud-N-Tite with air impact).

Alignment did require an extra person to help push the final axle into place to align bolt side to side but wasn’t too bad. I actually left the springs nuts loose until the end so I had wiggle room to get everything lined up because if you torque them up with a slight twist your springs will not line up at all to get the bolts in.

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    Now I need to find out what that black plastic covering under the trailer (over the tires) since I have to replace both sides due to the tires cutting it all to ribbons.
    I've seen it called Darco.
    Flex Mend tape + heat gun / hair dryer to set the glue.
    https://www.all-rite.com/underbelly-material.html
    https://www.recpro.com/rv-underbelly-material/
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took about 4 hours each side but the first side was bear since I didn’t know the tricks yet... second side went quicker.

Old hardware came right off with small M12 impact gun, learned my lesson the hard way, undo the nut not the bolt... the bolts are pressed in with splines and not meant to rotate. Thank god I was replacing the shackles. The spring nuts almost came off by hand... I suspect this was because they re-used the old nuts and they no longer locked. Likely they didn’t read the Dexter manual and know the torque setting too (I.e. they did Gud-N-Tite with air impact).

Alignment did require an extra person to help push the final axle into place to align bolt side to side but wasn’t too bad. I actually left the springs nuts loose until the end so I had wiggle room to get everything lined up because if you torque them up with a slight twist your springs will not line up at all to get the bolts in.

Cheers
    Tim
    You will like the new springs and the MorRyde equalizers! We've made a few trips now with the 2200# springs and what a big difference in ride and ride height. We still have the 3500# axles but they are the lippert 3inch tube so they are working just fine. Still have the westlake tires but the wear on them are good, nice and flat with no uneven wear with over 12,000 miles on them now, about half worn. i did go through the wheel bearings and seals but bearings look good and seals weren't leaking, I did replace the seals and repacked the bearings. Really happy with the trailer now. Next items to deal with will be the wiring and plumbing, just cleaning up their mess. Oh yeah, change out the batteries. 2 years old and starting to lose capacity. I will replace with 6 volt golf cart batteries.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool:

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Picked up new Dexter u bolt spring nuts (1/2 x 20) from Cerka in Milton, Ontario as well as spares. Jacked each wheel up, replaced nuts and torqued to 70 lb lbs each. Then greased up new Moryde HD shackles and reinstalled rims.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4469824-51F9-480D-B227-804CDA4265EF.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	22082

Will find out today how it tows, heading to Sauble Beach (with enough spare tools to probably build another trailer if I have any issues lol).

Next thing after this trip is probably look at adjusting the brakes as with the new axles I really had to crank up the gain to get the trailer brakes to engage. My original axles only required a little bit of gain and it would damn near look up the whole truck and that was right off the dealer lot brand new.

Cheers
    Tim
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up new Dexter u bolt spring nuts (1/2 x 20) from Cerka in Milton, Ontario as well as spares. Jacked each wheel up, replaced nuts and torqued to 70 lb lbs each. Then greased up new Moryde HD shackles and reinstalled rims.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4469824-51F9-480D-B227-804CDA4265EF.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	22082

Will find out today how it tows, heading to Sauble Beach (with enough spare tools to probably build another trailer if I have any issues lol).

Next thing after this trip is probably look at adjusting the brakes as with the new axles I really had to crank up the gain to get the trailer brakes to engage. My original axles only required a little bit of gain and it would damn near look up the whole truck and that was right off the dealer lot brand new.

Cheers
    Tim
    Tim, I think you'll be happy with results, we were. As for the brakes, ours were fairly weak after getting back from Alaska and turning the gain up didn't really make much difference. When I put the springs in I adjusted them up and what a difference! Took a few turns on the adjusters to tighten them up. I did have the drums off to check the bearings and the shoes looked good with the exception of some wear but not enough to replace. Have a good trip!
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Parts List

Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    I have the 6400# UVW on my 2018 as well but with the schwintec slide and even if you have the in frame slide (rack and pinion)you wouldn't be that much heavier. The difference between our 2018 and the 2019 with the heavier slide according to the sticker was only around 60 pounds. Check the tags on your axles and see what brand and weight ratings are. If you have the Dexter 3500# axles they have the smaller diameter tubes and GDRV should upgrade them to the 4400# axles. If you have the Lippert 3500# axles just change out the springs to the 2200# units as the axles are the same size tube size on the 4400# axles. The only difference is the outer bearing diameter is bigger and the hubs are 6 lug instead of 5. The local RV repair shop I use told me not to worry about the 3500# axles, just the springs was all I needed. GDRV sent the new 2200# springs out no charge and I'm sure they would for you too. While you are at it put the MorRyde equalizers in with the wet bolt kit. These are nice trailers and yes we shouldn't have to deal with these issues. The tires on our trailer did leave rub marks on the underneath as well but didn't have any issues with blowouts, and these tires have at least 11,000 miles on them. If you weigh your trailer you'll find the curb side to be the heavy side as it has all the appliances on that side. Keep after GDRV and I'm sure they will come through for you.
    For what it's worth, the local shop I use used to sell new trailers up until 2009 and they quit because of the quality of the trailers got to a point they didn't want to deal with all the warrantee issues they were having so they became a repair facility only. I highly recommend them to anyone needing work done who is traveling through Red Bluff, Ca.
    So I argued for the 4400# axles back in March when I originally posted this, however they insisted that the 3500# axle with a larger OD shell was the solution. I believe this is the same story that Thorvald received. I'm sure most people are aware but they are avoiding this because they'd have to provide 4 new rims and tires (6 lug) with the new axles if they handed out the 4400#.

I had the work done by Tar Heel Mobile RV Service in North Carolina, and they got the axles swapped in and out in 4 hours, they were incredible. They also informed me that the person who installed my hitch equalizer had me riding a bit nose-high, which I recall they did because they expected my 2018 Silverado 1500 to sink down with the tongue weight to an even ride, however it never did. I had some serious camber to the rear axle and tires with that setup, which caused the two blowouts, and I no longer have that problem.

However, the leaf springs on my rig are still flat. I drove around like this for 4 months, giving it a shot. It rides okay but there's truly no bounce to it and it just doesn't feel safe. I must have driven this thing atleast 4000 miles this year by now... I'm getting tired of calling GDRV over this. I'm considering the swap you guys are doing for the 2200# leafsprings and the CRE3000 equalizer. I'd like to get a parts list together and maybe help others out by making a video of the swap.

Can you guys help me with the other minor details? I am unsure if different U bolts or other hardware will need to be replaced along with this, as I intend to keep the 3500# axles. I'm also going to price this and ask GDRV about reimbursing me for it. I will report back with results...

1. (2) CRE3000 Equalizers
    2. (4) 2200# Leaf Springs by Dexter
    3. (16) Single use nuts from Fastenal (or equal)

Thank you,

Paul Aguiar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulaguiar View Post
    So I argued for the 4400# axles back in March when I originally posted this, however they insisted that the 3500# axle with a larger OD shell was the solution. I believe this is the same story that Thorvald received. I'm sure most people are aware but they are avoiding this because they'd have to provide 4 new rims and tires (6 lug) with the new axles if they handed out the 4400#.

I had the work done by Tar Heel Mobile RV Service in North Carolina, and they got the axles swapped in and out in 4 hours, they were incredible. They also informed me that the person who installed my hitch equalizer had me riding a bit nose-high, which I recall they did because they expected my 2018 Silverado 1500 to sink down with the tongue weight to an even ride, however it never did. I had some serious camber to the rear axle and tires with that setup, which caused the two blowouts, and I no longer have that problem.

However, the leaf springs on my rig are still flat. I drove around like this for 4 months, giving it a shot. It rides okay but there's truly no bounce to it and it just doesn't feel safe. I must have driven this thing atleast 4000 miles this year by now... I'm getting tired of calling GDRV over this. I'm considering the swap you guys are doing for the 2200# leafsprings and the CRE3000 equalizer. I'd like to get a parts list together and maybe help others out by making a video of the swap.

Can you guys help me with the other minor details? I am unsure if different U bolts or other hardware will need to be replaced along with this, as I intend to keep the 3500# axles. I'm also going to price this and ask GDRV about reimbursing me for it. I will report back with results...

1. (2) CRE3000 Equalizers
    2. (4) 2200# Leaf Springs by Dexter
    3. (16) Single use nuts from Fastenal (or equal)

Thank you,

Paul Aguiar
    Paul, sorry about not responding sooner. If you get the wet bolt kit at the same time you get the equalizers you will have all the hardware and won't need the single use nuts. The u-bolts came with the springs from GD but if you get the springs from somewhere else the u-bolts you have will work, they were the same on mine. We are really happy about the results, rides and handles so much better.
    Just add the wet bolt kit and your list will be complete.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob&Vicki View Post
    Paul, sorry about not responding sooner. If you get the wet bolt kit at the same time you get the equalizers you will have all the hardware and won't need the single use nuts. The u-bolts came with the springs from GD but if you get the springs from somewhere else the u-bolts you have will work, they were the same on mine. We are really happy about the results, rides and handles so much better.
    Just add the wet bolt kit and your list will be complete.
    @paulaguiar,

I would suggest getting brand new U-bolts, rather than re-using the old ones. Here are the one's we used with our 3"-dia. axle tubes:
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lea...e/APUBR-8.html

Also, if you're going to the trouble of swapping out the leaf springs, then you might as well upgrade to wet bolts and heavy-duty shackles, as @Rob&Vicki suggested:
    http://www.morryde.com/products/70-h...le-upgrade-kit
    Last edited by jw^2 family; 09-28-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, get new U bolts. They are designed for single use only as the threads get stretched when installed. They are pretty inexpensive so it’s not worth the risk in trying to reuse them.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this common on all GDRV's? Im thinking of looking at a 2017 2600RB after following this thread, I'm not so sure..............

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast