User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ABSOLUTELY love it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58552052654__781379EA-365A-4AF4-A7A3-6D0029CEBE79.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	22087

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1sp View Post
    Be sure and carry a long 1/4 inch Allen wrench. Preferably that attaches to a 3/8 inch ratchet wrench. The set screws can come loose.
    Do you have experience with that happening?

I bought a 1/4" allen socket that works with my torque wrench just to be part of my permanent toolkit for the rig.

Best regards,
    Chris

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes mine moved a little..Also someone posted recently a pic from the side of the road .the hitch had rotated maybe 45 degrees ? Be sure to check the length of your Allen wrench. Two of the holes are a little deep. Would like to know the torque spec. Can not be much as a dealer tightened mine with a t handle wrench. Have never heard of anyone using thread lock.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce1sp View Post
    Yes mine moved a little..Also someone posted recently a pic from the side of the road .the hitch had rotated maybe 45 degrees ? Be sure to check the length of your Allen wrench. Two of the holes are a little deep. Would like to know the torque spec. Can not be much as a dealer tightened mine with a t handle wrench. Have never heard of anyone using thread lock.
    The torque spec is in the manual along with the rest of the numbers. Your service guy at the dealer is a moron if they didn’t use a torque wrench. Installation manual calls for 40 ft-lbs on the allens, 40 on the set bolts and 60 on the hold down bolt. 40 is a lot on a set screw and they didn’t do it with a T-handle.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC - the current torque spec for the adaptet is 40 ft-lbs

I've seen someone post an image of a kingpin plate with big divots from the adapter. No idea if that was from too much torque or another cause.

Best regards,
    Chris

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post

I've seen someone post an image of a kingpin plate with big divots from the adapter. No idea if that was from too much torque or another cause.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Interesting, the picture was not from me, but I have noticed big divots in the plate from the screws. I always check mine with a torque wrench, so it is not from over-tightening. Over time, it seemed as though the screws would move just a little when I checked. I only noticed because I experimented with rotating the kingpin adapter block, and then saw the gouging. I have about a 1/4 in gap between the plate and adapter block, so I wonder if there is some slight rocking that causes the gouge. I emailed Andersen, but never heard back. I guess I will ping them again.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best regards,
    Chris
    It's a result of the setscrew being torqued and the weight of your FW bearing on only four small points of contact. My first trip out I did short hops to two campgrounds about 50 miles apart. After the first stop I was concerned how the set screws had loosened. After checking at the second stop I noticed the deflection in the rub plate of the pin box. This also had me concerned with the amount of thread showing and the possibility of the setscrews bending, making it difficult to back off and / or remove if needed. I found a 2" x 3/32" x 2' plate at a Home Depot that night and added shims under the screws.
    I believe the rub plate on my Turning Point hitch is 12 gauge steel, less than 3/32", which is good enough if the entire surface is bearing on a FW hitch. When back home I went to a local weld shop and got a pre-cut 8" x 1/4" square plate to use as a shim and add thickness to the rub plate. Now the set screws stay tight!
    In doing research after the fact, Andersen is aware of the problem and it seems at one time offered a plate shim if tech support was contacted. I did call and a very disinterested young man told me that there have been other inquiries about this and adding a shim as I did was a solution. I read somewhere it's an option to buy although it's not shown on the web site. I do believe that it should be pointed out beforehand as some unknowing or inexperienced users could damage the pin box, or worse. I don't know what or even if there is a standard for the rub plate thickness on pin boxes.
    I still like the 3220 Ultimate hitch as better solution but these potential downfalls need to be addressed beforehand.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 08-22-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have experience with that happening?

I bought a 1/4" allen socket that works with my torque wrench just to be part of my permanent toolkit for the rig.

Best regards,
    Chris
    I have had to retighten those set screws periodically as well. I also have read about a shim plate being available to alleviate divots made in to kingpin from those screws. I’ll be looking into getting a set.
    I’ve had my hitch for 3 years now and I do like the easy ability to install/remove it as well as how the design removes the chucking and bucking I used to experience with my old Reese. However, I have seen this hitch design go thru a few iterations in those few shorts years. From Andersen adding additional bracing to the original design, to the red funnel added to the adapter, to torque spec’s being changed a couple times now, to shim kits, it seems to me the hitch design is still a work in progress.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our Anderson Hitch for two years now. 5000 miles and counting. love it. After some reading about the torquespecs I called Anderson and they said to increase to 45 and 65. In the installation instructions they call for 40 and 60. He said they found it worked better.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    We have had our Anderson Hitch for two years now. 5000 miles and counting. love it. After some reading about the torquespecs I called Anderson and they said to increase to 45 and 65. In the installation instructions they call for 40 and 60. He said they found it worked better.
    Well there's another new spec. from Andersen.

The last I knew, the top bolt was torqued to 60 ft.lbs. Which was an increase from 55 ft. lbs. from just a year ago. It certainly makes me wonder if that outfit is playing fast and loose with this hitch.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast