User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension Greasing Tips

So, I was just greasing my suspension and had a little problem with one fitting not taking grease. First I tried a new zerk fitting - no change. Then I used my tool that forces penetrating oil into the joint to free up gunk - no go. Then it occurred to me that the front of the coach was jacked up, putting weight on the rear wheels (I have a sloping driveway). Using the Level-ups, I took the weight off the rear wheel and greased the joint - success. This reminded me (after having installed wet bolt kits before) that there are channels in the wet bolts that have to be aligned properly or the grease won't flow. My guess is that because of the way the wheels were angled in the driveway (and the additional pressure that put on the joint), the grease channel in that bolt was just slightly blocked - change the angle and pressure - the grease flowed.

The point is that if you are having problems with grease flowing, change the situation. If there is pressure on the axles, relieve it. If the axles are "unloaded", load them. Just a little change may solve your problem.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dick - Great advice. Here's a couple of other tips to add to it:

1. If you use a grease gun with at least 10,000 psi, you'll frequently be able to overcome a little resistance and not have to change the loading on the axles.
    2. If you're installing wet bolts in your suspension, make sure the outlet hole is at either 3:00 or 9:00 to minimize resistance while greasing.

Jim

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Dick - Great advice. Here's a couple of other tips to add to it:

2. If you're installing wet bolts in your suspension, make sure the outlet hole is at either 3:00 or 9:00 to minimize resistance while greasing.

Jim
    Actually, I think this is exactly what happened at the factory - they were off just a tad off on this one bolt and I'm too lazy to replace it.

Also, I use this for stubborn, crudded up fittings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	16055

and this for regular grease jobs (this is a real time saver and makes lube jobs so much easier/quicker):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41mY7JFKuzL.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	16056

This is my grease gun:

Name:	41d8dzpFLmL.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	16057

Each of these make life so much easier ...

However, when you add in the cost of grease (naturally I only use the best/most expensive), the compressor, rags, etc., I'm not sure I'm saving anything! Oh well, at least it's getting done correctly.

The only way I can justify these expenses to DW is that it's a HOBBY ... yeah, that's the ticket ... a hobby! Yeah, that's it! A hobby that helps me relax and decompress.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I agree that getting the weight off of the suspension where I am trying to lubricate is key. I have replaced a couple of zerks in the past - sometimes turning them to a different position does the trick as referenced above. I have the same locking coupler as shown in another post for my DeWalt 20 volt grease gun - that setup is a real dandy you won’t catch me with a manual grease gun ever again!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    ...for my DeWalt 20 volt grease gun...
    Wait. What? DeWalt makes a 20V grease gun? You guys are murder on the ol' credit card balance...I gotta get one (I have a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools)!

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...-gun/dcgg571m1

Edit: OK, just looked at the price on Amazon. Um...I may just stick with my manual pump...whew that DeWalt is expensive!
    Last edited by howson; 11-01-2018 at 04:13 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highly recommend the dewalt gun. We use it on our tractor as well. Makes it so much easier.
    Ryan and Alison
    2017 Solitude 377MBS-R
    Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    Morryde CRE 3000, xmembers x3, WBs,4k springs
    2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Denali SRW Airlift bags with wireless control
    Pullrite 2900 autoslide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Expensive but amazing. No issues with any of mine taking grease. Prior to getting this it was a pia
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Wait. What? DeWalt makes a 20V grease gun? You guy are murder on the ol' credit card balance...I gotta get one (I have a bunch of DeWalt 20V tools)!

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...-gun/dcgg571m1

Edit: OK, just looked at the price on Amazon. Um...I may just stick with my manual pump...whew that DeWalt is expensive!
    If you've got a compressor, the Lincoln for $70 is a good gun.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come spring, I will be replacing my current factory equalizer/shackles bolts etc. with a setup that includes wet bolts. How often do you grease these bolts? How much grease are you pushing in when you do lube?
    "Every Day Is A Good Day"

Marco
    Guelph, Ontario, Canada
    2019 Imagine XLS 21 BHE
    2017 Nissan NV3500 Van 5.6L V8 and decked out to tow.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macroman View Post
    Come spring, I will be replacing my current factory equalizer/shackles bolts etc. with a setup that includes wet bolts. How often do you grease these bolts? How much grease are you pushing in when you do lube?
    macroman - This depends on kilometres (I noted your home location) travelled. I add grease about every 3000 kms . . . which is about twice a year for me. Initially, fill the bushing passages until you see grease coming out between the ends of the bushing and the bolt. After that, one or two pumps of the grease gun should cause more grease to extrude from these points . . . and, that is enough.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast