Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DennisK
    Make sure they put high pressure bolt in valve stems. I would highly recommend doing that.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No matter the type or brand of tire, a failure on a trailer can have significant consequences. I've lost tires in the past which took out the whole wheel well and fender. As soon as I purchased my reflection, I pulled the tires and took them to our local tire shop where I had them balanced and installed metal valve stems. Then, I ordered a tire pressure monitoring system. I screwed the sensors on to the metal valve stems, and placed the monitor in the cab of the truck. From the cab, I can monitor the temperature and pressure of each tire as I'm rolling down the road. The monitor will also trigger an alarm if the pressure or temperature changes from the values I select. It gives me great peace of mind to know that my tires are safe while I'm pulling this rig behind me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also run the TST TPMS flow throughs and it works well. Metal valve stems are recommended if not required if your going to use any kind of TPMS. I have had a tire blow on a previous trailer and it is a mess. Tore up the whole fender and sheet metal skirt. Had to cut metal away to continue after a tire change. Wouldn't leave home without a tpms now.
    Chris and Debbie
    St. Charles County, MO
    2007 Dodge Ram Cummins DRW
    2015 369RL Solitude

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're finding faulty valve stems, I'd suggest that you replace them with ones like these especially if you want to add tire pressure monitors to them.

Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	040312090807.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	733
    Dave and Monica - Gore Bay, Ontario
    Vitus the Hungarian Vizsla
    2014 Reflection 337 RLS #129
    2008 F250 V10 CC Lariat RWD

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I pickup my new Reflection 358BHS in a few weeks, my dealer's got 3 different campgrounds setup to stay in. We're going to store our fiver locally for a couple of months visiting it every other week--in case warranty work is needed.

And we're going to get rid of the Chinese tires--switching to high quality LT model E rated rib tires off a 1 ton truck.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    I am going to tow the trailer to a local tire dealer and have them pull the wheels and install new valve stems and send the bill to Grand Design in hopes that they will do the right thing and pay.

Dennis
    I would call them (GD) and talk to them about it before you just send them a bill...

It's not a huge thing, but if you just start shoving bills at them, they can easily deny the claim, and deny paying you.

Personally, I would throw the bill at the selling dealer, since they obviously didn't do much of a PDI on the rig. What makes you think that the parts are inferior??
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

DennisK
    You are right... I need to discuss this with the dealer first. I have decided that regardless, I will have the valve stems replaced with metal ones and balanced on all 4 tires by a local dealer. I am just a bit disappointed that I am having to go through all of this with a brand new unit. I realize everything is susceptible to a few bugs and by and large, this is an excellent unit thus far. So far as the inferior parts, that is my opinion as related to the fact that I need to go get them replaced. I can easily make air escape from the base of the stem by moving it ever so slightly to one side.

Vietvet66-67
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisK View Post
    You are right... I need to discuss this with the dealer first. I have decided that regardless, I will have the valve stems replaced with metal ones and balanced on all 4 tires by a local dealer. I am just a bit disappointed that I am having to go through all of this with a brand new unit. I realize everything is susceptible to a few bugs and by and large, this is an excellent unit thus far. So far as the inferior parts, that is my opinion as related to the fact that I need to go get them replaced. I can easily make air escape from the base of the stem by moving it ever so slightly to one side.
    I think it would be a good idea to get ALL FOUR done. If two have failed, I could not trust the other two. Just my opinion though....

DennisK
    I am taking it in tomorrow to have all four done. My dealer is awesome! They said to take it to a nearby place and have the stems installed, including balance the tires and send them the bill end they will reimburse me. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a Grand Design dealer to contact them. Cullum and Maxey in Nashville, TN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too had a tire that would go down into the 40lb range. Took it to my regular tire store. Found the O-ring on the valve stem was pinched. They fixed it for free for me...
    Jim and Kerry
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2016 Silverado 3500HD
    Diesel/Allison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast