User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DennisK

TWO tires leaking badly, unit only 2 weeks old!

I have owned my Solitude for 2 weeks. TWO tires (Westlake) are leaking, one goes down to about 43psi (from 80) in a day or two, and the other one goes down to around 60 psi. We live about 500 miles south from the factory so I am guessing these tires have a total of 600 miles on them including transit from Indiana to Nashville. I do not want to take a vacation day to drive this unit 1 1/2 hours to Nashville so they can verify they are bad. What are my options? I don't have access to electricity where I store my unit so I can't air them up before driving (I should not have to for that matter).

As much as we all love our Grand Designs, I think we all equally dislike the cheap tires they put on them. Why doesn't the factory go to a bit better tire? I had Goodyears on the Pinnacle that I traded, how I wish I would have traded them before leaving the lot.

Disappointed in the tires but otherwise I absolutely LOVE the unit!

Dennis

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If it were me, the first thing I'd do is spray a solution of soap and water around the bead, and on the valve stem to try and pin point where the leak is. I don't suspect the tires are leaking, but the interfact between the wheel and the tire or the valve stem/valve core. If it's the valve core, you can buy a tool for less than $1 to tighten it.

FWIW, I'm still running my Westlake tires after 3000+ miles, and I've only had to put a few pounds of air in each at around 2000 miles.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2...also, make sure you have registered the tires with factory....good for a year.
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was stated above, it probably isn't the tire....

Look around the valve stems, and call your dealer when you find the leak.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tires is an issue on all recreational vehicles and boat trailers. I still don't know why ST tires are not better quality, and why those Goodyears cost 2x or 3x what they should @ $399 each.

If I was in your position, I'd jack up the trailer, remove the two tires and head for the nearest good tire store. It could be as simple as a tiny nail picked up. Or a bad valve stem.

It sure beats hauling that big sucker all the way back to Music City to a dealer.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most alloy trailer rims are cast and it is not uncommon for some to be porous. It might not be the tires.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Lidreaux
    Just bought ours yesterday and same thing with two tires. Lost 40 pounds of pressure in one of them overnight. Hubby just left to buy an air compressor so we can try to make it home. Fairly P.O.'d cause it's been one little thing after another. For a brand new RV and as much money as we spent, I'm just frustrated right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that you noticed the tires were leaking as soon as you took delivery of the unit. Unless you picked up a nial or something on the way home, I would think it was leaking all along. Interesting that the dealer didn't notice it. They must have had it for some time to at least get it ready for delivery to you.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

DennisK
    I know exactly what the problem is now. I went over there today after purchasing a valve tightening tool thinking (hoping) the valve was loose and I could simply screw it in. No joy, both of the tires that are leaking are bad valve stems. If I simply hold on to it and move it either direction, it loses quite a bit of air. Why does GD put up with inferior suppliers such as this? I am not the only one having problems with tires. I am going to tow the trailer to a local tire dealer and have them pull the wheels and install new valve stems and send the bill to Grand Design in hopes that they will do the right thing and pay.

Dennis

Lidreaux
    Thx for posting. My husband couldn't figure out what the problem was and he checked after I read your post to him. It's the same problem u have on at least one tire and the other has a rivet in it which I'm certain came from the dealer where we bought it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast