User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westlake G vs Goodyear G614 vs Sailun S637 - need help deciding!

I'm hesitant to post this thread because I know how quickly tire threads go south but I'm torn about what tires to run on our new Solitude. Our Reflection came with Westlake E rated tires. At that time I wasn't aware of the S637's and Grand Design wasn't shipping RV's with Westlake G rated tires. I knew Goodyear G614 tires were pretty much considered the gold standard (and priced accordingly) so I put them on the Reflection and never worried about the tires again. Fast forward to today. As we wait for our Solitude to arrive, I'm once again thinking about tires. The decision this time, however, isn't as clear cut.

Westlakes G-
    I haven't heard of any Westlake G rated tire failures. Is this because they aren't in widespread use yet? As far as I can tell, these tires have a load index of 129 (4,079lbs). So, no known failures that I'm aware of, good load rating and no need to swap tires. Pretty tempting.

Sailun S637-
    These tires have a great reputation, a very high load index of 132 (4,409lbs) and a set of four runs $983 at my local Les Schwab (no tax in OR).

Goodyear G614-
    These have arguably the best reputation for trailer tires but the lowest load index rating at 126 (3,748lbs). Cost is $1,351 at my local Discount Tire.

I'm very tempted to try the Westlakes because they are the "easy" choice but my one real concern is how they were treated by the transport driver over the 2,000 mile trip to Oregon. I'm tempted by the Sailuns because of the very high load rating. I'm tempted by the G614's because, well they are G614's. But, the lower load rating is a little bit of a concern. I would be giving up 700lbs of carrying capacity per tire with the Goodyears. Do the load rating really matter that much? Are the Goodyears under rated? Are the Sailuns over rated?

The question for you guys-
    If these tires all cost the same, which tires would you run and why? Just think of a truck delivering all three sets of tires to your house and the delivery guy says you can pick whichever ones you want. Same price! Which would you grab?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm hesitant to post this thread because I know how quickly tire threads go south but I'm torn about what tires to run on our new Solitude. Our Reflection came with Westlake E rated tires. At that time I wasn't aware of the S637's and Grand Design wasn't shipping RV's with Westlake G rated tires. I knew Goodyear G614 tires were pretty much considered the gold standard (and priced accordingly) so I put them on the Reflection and never worried about the tires again. Fast forward to today. As we wait for our Solitude to arrive, I'm once again thinking about tires. The decision this time, however, isn't as clear cut.

Westlakes G-
    I haven't heard of any Westlake G rated tire failures. Is this because they aren't in widespread use yet? As far as I can tell, these tires have a load index of 129 (4,079lbs). So, no known failures that I'm aware of, good load rating and no need to swap tires. Pretty tempting.

Sailun S637-
    These tires have a great reputation, a very high load index of 132 (4,409lbs) and a set of four runs $983 at my local Les Schwab (no tax in OR).

Goodyear G614-
    These have arguably the best reputation for trailer tires but the lowest load index rating at 126 (3,748lbs). Cost is $1,351 at my local Discount Tire.

I'm very tempted to try the Westlakes because they are the "easy" choice but my one real concern is how they were treated by the transport driver over the 2,000 mile trip to Oregon. I'm tempted by the Sailuns because of the very high load rating. I'm tempted by the G614's because, well they are G614's. But, the lower load rating is a little bit of a concern. I would be giving up 700lbs of carrying capacity per tire with the Goodyears. Do the load rating really matter that much? Are the Goodyears under rated? Are the Sailuns over rated?

If these tires all cost the same, which tires would you run and why? Just think of a truck delivering all three sets of tires to your house and the delivery guy says you can pick whichever ones you want. Same price! Which would you grab?

I'm not sure the Goodyears have "the best" reputation but they do have a good one. Personally, I think the Sailun's have a great reputation - they are tough, bullet proof tires and have served me well on two coaches over thousands of miles. My personal preference is that I would never use a Towmax or Westlake tire if you gave it to me for free. The Towmax tires were used by Heartland and were, in my opinion, a disaster. The Westlakes - same deal. Just read the reviews here an on other forums. My brand new coach blew a Westlake somewhere during the 500 mile trip from the factory to the dealer and caused some damage - I don't need any further proof. I refused to take delivery until the Westlakes were replaced by Sailuns.

Since you asked, I'd opt for the Sailuns or Goodyears.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha Brian you are worrying about tires on your Solitude like I was mine. I think I'm going to roll the dice and run the G Westlakes for a year or so and see how
    it goes. If I can get 2-3 yrs even better, I'll put G rated Sailuns on it when I retire and go full time. I too have searched the web looking for Westlake G failures
    and it's pretty slim pickings! I figure mine came at least 1500 miles from the factory and they look fine. Hope I dodn't jinx myself
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hey Brian, I like your new avatar picture!

I took my Westlakes off shortly after purchasing our 337 because I knew we were going to be putting a lot of miles on our trailer. The newer G rated tires may have made me slightly more comfortable to stick with them for a year or 2. If I were buying today and wasn't going to be doing any "long hauling", I think I would stick with the Westlakes but otherwise, I'd go with the Sailuns.

After a few years and many tens of thousands of miles on my Bridgestone tires I chose the Sailuns because Bridestone was no longer an option.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post

Westlakes G-

Sailun S637-

Goodyear G614-

I agree with Poppy's assessment. If you know you'll be racking up the miles changing them may just be the price for peace of mind. If you'll stay at one location for long stretches with relatively low miles, consider keeping the Westlakes. (That's my tactic--for now.)

If you keep the Westlakes or get the Sailuns or Goodyears--that article I referenced in the "Why RV Tires Fail" thread stated the primary factors for early tire failure are a combination of (over)load, speed and temperature. Be careful with your weight (um, I mean the RV's weight), be hyper-diligent about tire pressures and tow at (primarily) 65 mph and I'd expect you'd get good service from any of the three options. Road hazards are a whole 'nuther thing...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Txfivver View Post
    Haha Brian you are worrying about tires on your Solitude like I was mine. I think I'm going to roll the dice and run the G Westlakes for a year or so and see how
    it goes. If I can get 2-3 yrs even better, I'll put G rated Sailuns on it when I retire and go full time. I too have searched the web looking for Westlake G failures
    and it's pretty slim pickings! I figure mine came at least 1500 miles from the factory and they look fine. Hope I dodn't jinx myself
    Not a bad strategy. However, one tire failure on an Interstate can just ruin your whole day ...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some people say they’re being cheap skates by rolling the dice and leaving the the Westlakes on, but I think I am being a cheapskate because the cost of installing Goodyears is significantly less than the cost to repair all the damage when the Westlakes eventually blow.

Peace of mind is well worth the $700.

If I was a rich man I would probably go for the Sailuns. They’re pricey and do have a slightly better reputation than the Goodyear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Not a bad strategy. However, one tire failure on an Interstate can just ruin your whole day ...
    I know I know, if I see 1 bump or blemish or anything on them they're gone! Dang they're a big heavy good looking tire though, you'll see Brian. Can't wait to see your new trailer!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    Some people say they’re being cheap skates by rolling the dice and leaving the the Westlakes on, but I think I am being a cheapskate because the cost of installing Goodyears is significantly less than the cost to repair all the damage when the Westlakes eventually blow.

Peace of mind is well worth the $700.

If I was a rich man I would probably go for the Sailuns. They’re pricey and do have a slightly better reputation than the Goodyear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I t think you got it backwards DMB. My Sailuns were literally half the cost of the Goodyears.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    I t think you got it backwards DMB. My Sailuns were literally half the cost of the Goodyears.
    Seriously? Hmmm, maybe I was looking at the wrong size then. I always heard they were expensive tires, but worth it.
    At any rate, they don't make Sailuns in my size so I had to get the Goodyears.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast