User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
    Thanks Jerry. So for the two TVs in the RV, each would have it's own receiver. It appears that the antenna has two F-type coax connectors on it, so you need to run two coax cables for two receivers, correct? Sounds pretty straightforward.
    Yes - but keep in mind that the Pathway X2 is a single LNB antenna, so both receivers have to be tuned to channels on the same satellite to watch both at the same time. (The Wally - and all the 211(x) receivers are also single-tuner receivers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Yes - but keep in mind that the Pathway X2 is a single LNB antenna, so both receivers have to be tuned to channels on the same satellite to watch both at the same time. (The Wally - and all the 211(x) receivers are also single-tuner receivers.

Rob
    Rob, a couple of questions... 1) You mentioned the "Outdoor Account $49/mo which includes locals". I'm on their website and don't see anything that mentions that, and the cheapest package I can find is the Flex Pack - which really doesn't give you anything at all. 2) Do you normally view sources from two satellites? I remember my old Dish system had dual feed horns off a single parabolic dish way back when. Do they still do that, and is the single LNB a big limitation? IOW, is their programming that diverse off the different birds?

EDIT: Learning as I read... Got my answer regarding the multiple feed horns. Apparently the Pathway X2 only has a single feed horn.

EDIT (another): OK, pouring through the Questions on Amazon has given me pretty much all my answers. Only thing I need to find out now is the "Outdoor Account" thing. Thanks all!
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Dish Network. I have a hopper with a Winegard traveler on my 5th wheel. The Winegard traveler has triple LNBs so I can be watching one channel and be recording two others. I can switch to the area locals by using the MyDish app. If you want to view a second or third TV you can get a Joey and attach it to that TV and you can view what ever channel you want that is within the subscription plan you are on. You can still only view or record three channels at once so if both TV are being used and watching different channels that is using two of the available channels. We just bought a small house in AZ and if I want to use the TV in the home instead of the trailer all I need to do is bring the hopper into the house and connect it to the house dish and I now have dish at home.

One nice feature of the Winegard Traveler is all you have to do is push a button and the dish will rise and find the satellites (there will be three) and you are good to go. Winegard has a free app that enables you to find the satellites. All you have to do is point your phone to the southern sky. You will see the satellites and know if you have a clear path for your dish. Very cool.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res
    8K lb axles, springs & hubs with Nev-R-Lube bearings
    MORryde HD shackle kit with brass bushings & wet bolts
    Reece Sidewinder 19K lb pin box.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food for thought. If you decide to go with a roof top satellite that is fully automatic, do a little extra homework.

I was 100% convinced that I was going with the Winegard Trav’ler. After many questions with an online dealer, it was suggested that that I should look at the Rf Mogul. The dealer sold both units and was going to “make” a sale whichever one I decide to go with. My first reaction was that I already had a headache from researching the Winegard and didn’t need any more ideas. Long story short, I went with the RF Mogul and am very glad I did.

I did the install myself. If in the future you decide to switch from DirecTV to Dish, or vice vera, very easy to do with the RF Mogul. Many other advantages to the RF Mogul in my opinion.

Good luck with whichever setup you decide to go with.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, a couple of questions... 1) You mentioned the "Outdoor Account $49/mo which includes locals". I'm on their website and don't see anything that mentions that, and the cheapest package I can find is the Flex Pack - which really doesn't give you anything at all. 2) Do you normally view sources from two satellites? I remember my old Dish system had dual feed horns off a single parabolic dish way back when. Do they still do that, and is the single LNB a big limitation? IOW, is their programming that diverse off the different birds?

EDIT: Learning as I read... Got my answer regarding the multiple feed horns. Apparently the Pathway X2 only has a single feed horn.

EDIT (another): OK, pouring through the Questions on Amazon has given me pretty much all my answers. Only thing I need to find out now is the "Outdoor Account" thing. Thanks all!
    Yes - the "feed horns" are called LNBs (low-noise block downconverter) - and the X2 only has one. Fixed residential antennas have either two or three depending on which arc they are designed for. The only automatic mobile antenna with more than one LNB is the Winegard Trav'ler - and it's a western arc only dish ($1,400 plus installation). You can buy a Dish 1000.2 antenna, but you have to set it up and aim it manually each time.

We use the Flex Pack with locals and are completely happy. We do not, however, watch any sports (although there's a $10 pack for that). We mostly watch a few broadcast network shows, the nightly news, a couple of CNN series, and documentaries on A&E, NatGeo, TLC, etc. Even at that, my wife thinks we watch too much TV. I'm sure our style and habits won't suit everyone.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Winegard Carryout G2+ (they now have a slightly-improved version). It's a small light dome antenna that auto-finds the signals.

We just plop it somewhere (within a 50-foot cable restriction) with a view of the southern sky and reasonably level... often on the roof. Turn it on, and a few minutes later it has found the satellite(s).

Works with Dish, DirectTV, and (Canadian) Bell satellites. We have Dish's inexpensive Wally receiver with some inexpensive options on it.

Probably not state-of-the-art but we've been happy with it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Food for thought. If you decide to go with a roof top satellite that is fully automatic, do a little extra homework.

I was 100% convinced that I was going with the Winegard Trav’ler. After many questions with an online dealer, it was suggested that that I should look at the Rf Mogul. The dealer sold both units and was going to “make” a sale whichever one I decide to go with. My first reaction was that I already had a headache from researching the Winegard and didn’t need any more ideas. Long story short, I went with the RF Mogul and am very glad I did.

I did the install myself. If in the future you decide to switch from DirecTV to Dish, or vice vera, very easy to do with the RF Mogul. Many other advantages to the RF Mogul in my opinion.

Good luck with whichever setup you decide to go with.
    Can you tell us more about the RF Mogul and WHY you choose to pay more then the Winegard Trav’ler cost?

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've searched through and read a few threads, but they're all at least one year or more old.

I've worked in communications all of my adult life, know and understand how it all works, just don't know what the latest technology is as it pertains to satellite TV with RVs. I read about "Tailgater" and "Wally" and "Winegard" and some other things, but in terms of which is "better/faster/cooler", who are the players in the business (is it just DirectTV vs. Dish Network?), what are the "must have" features vs. "nice to have", etc.

Is the technology smart enough to auto-track the satellites, or do I still have to get out a compass and do az/el calculations and point? Thanks.
    Jim,
    First you have to decide if you want Dish or DirecTV. Dish seems friendlier as far a getting local channels each time you relocate to a different location. Dish has a pay as you go plan that allows month-to-month payments vs. a long term contract agreement. With Dish you get high definition resolution channels using a dome (not so with DirecTV).

The you can decide on the type of satellite dish you want to use. Most portable unit locate the correct satellites automatically although you can get a tripod and antenna that you can point manually; but fewer and fewer people are using these due to aiming challenges (azimuth, elevation, tilt, etc.).

I suggest you explore programming packages offered by DirecTV and Dish and decide which you want. Assuming you don't have satellite service at home I personally recommend Dish as I find them more "RV Friendly".

Next I recommend you contact Winegard, tell them what you want to do and ask them to guide you to the best portable antenna to use.

A few more notes
    > you can get a Winegard Traveler antenna mounted on you roof permanently which (IMO) is the ultimate solution (assuming you don't park under trees);
    > all portable antennas only allow you to 'see' one satellite at a time; this results in viewing and recording simultaneously only if both channels are on the same satellite;
    > my personal preference if you want a DVR is to buy a dual tuner receiver (even tho you can only watch and record from the same satellite simultaneously)
    > Dish has some good folks (in the technical department who can provide advice on receivers) (they have some not so good folks too);
    > If you use 2 receivers (his and hers?) and use a dome you can still both only watch shows from the same satellite;
    > a Traveler Antenna allows watching/recording multiple shows on different satellites simultaneously.

I install and maintain RV AV systems and like Dish (as if you couldn't tell) and use a dual tuner DVR (222K). I had a Traveler antenna on my previous RV but will purchase a Windgard G3 this winter for travel this coming summer as I want to be able to position it if under tress and (the last time I checked) is the only one compatible with my DVR.

I hope this helps.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Jim,
    First you have to decide if you want Dish or DirecTV. Dish seems friendlier as far a getting local channels each time you relocate to a different location. Dish has a pay as you go plan that allows month-to-month payments vs. a long term contract agreement. With Dish you get high definition resolution channels using a dome (not so with DirecTV).

The you can decide on the type of satellite dish you want to use. Most portable unit locate the correct satellites automatically although you can get a tripod and antenna that you can point manually; but fewer and fewer people are using these due to aiming challenges (azimuth, elevation, tilt, etc.).

I suggest you explore programming packages offered by DirecTV and Dish and decide which you want. Assuming you don't have satellite service at home I personally recommend Dish as I find them more "RV Friendly".

Next I recommend you contact Winegard, tell them what you want to do and ask them to guide you to the best portable antenna to use.

A few more notes
    > you can get a Winegard Traveler antenna mounted on you roof permanently which (IMO) is the ultimate solution (assuming you don't park under trees);
    > all portable antennas only allow you to 'see' one satellite at a time; this results in viewing and recording simultaneously only if both channels are on the same satellite;
    > my personal preference if you want a DVR is to buy a dual tuner receiver (even tho you can only watch and record from the same satellite simultaneously)
    > Dish has some good folks (in the technical department who can provide advice on receivers) (they have some not so good folks too);
    > If you use 2 receivers (his and hers?) and use a dome you can still both only watch shows from the same satellite;
    > a Traveler Antenna allows watching/recording multiple shows on different satellites simultaneously.

I install and maintain RV AV systems and like Dish (as if you couldn't tell) and use a dual tuner DVR (222K). I had a Traveler antenna on my previous RV but will purchase a Windgard G3 this winter for travel this coming summer as I want to be able to position it if under tress and (the last time I checked) is the only one compatible with my DVR.

I hope this helps.
    TD, thanks for that information.

So further into my studies, I think what I'm going to do is go with Dish Network. I may also go for a fixed residential system for the GA camp site, since I can permanently park the RV there, and thus permanently install an antenna. For the 313RLTS (which we'll use for travel) I think I'll go with the Winegard Carryout G3, and a Wally box.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TD, thanks for that information.

So further into my studies, I think what I'm going to do is go with Dish Network. I may also go for a fixed residential system for the GA camp site, since I can permanently park the RV there, and thus permanently install an antenna. For the 313RLTS (which we'll use for travel) I think I'll go with the Winegard Carryout G3, and a Wally box.
    Jim

I just received the Camping World sales flyer. There is lots of sales on different satellite products.
    $579 for the Windgard G3.
    Shop around. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast