User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide covers on 320MKS

Thinking about adding those awning type covers over the 3 slides. wondering if anyone has done it and whether it helps on rain noise (especially in bed.)
    Eric and Carolyn
    Louisville KY
    2015 Ford F350
    2019 Reflection 320MKS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 220RK. That trailer only has one side so it wasn’t too much money to get it put on. Yes it helps with the rain and debris from getting on top on your side. One thing I have found when it’s windy it has a tendency of flapping in the wind. It really doesn’t bother us because when it’s that windy usually the trailer shaking LOL.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought about it myself for the bedroom slide for the same reason, but figured the rain noise is probably pretty rare and if I need to get up to sweep the other two, why bother

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flashcom View Post
    Thinking about adding those awning type covers over the 3 slides. wondering if anyone has done it and whether it helps on rain noise (especially in bed.)
    We had a 2018 320MKS without slide toppers, and now have a similar-sized Solitude 310GK which came with slide toppers. Hands-down 'yes' on that purchase IMO. Not only is it noticeably quieter in bed during rainstorms, but the task of climbing onto the roof and checking and maybe sweeping slide roofs before departure is gone. I would want them on any trailer I might buy in future.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An anecdote regarding slide toppers (get out the popcorn...). We recently stayed at a county event complex (more like a county fairgrounds) in Wyoming. While we were there, there was a big motorcoach rally and show. The wind was also 15 - 40 MPH much of the time we were there. When we came back from sightseeing one day, we said, "Let's go see how the other half lives," and went over to tour some of the motorhomes on display. We went in a number of coaches - from mid-sized class Cs to high-end tag axle DPs. Nearly all had slide toppers. A couple of the coaches we toured were too noisy inside from the toppers flapping in the wind to carry on a conversation. Two techs were on top of one of the DPs trying to disconnect and retract the topper on the big slide because it had ripped about halfway down its length in the wind. The dealerships had retracted the slides on several other coaches to avoid the same issue.

We had debated slide toppers our first couple of years of full-timing... we're not debating that any more. We just went back to our rig (no toppers) and carried on with our conversation(s)... albeit with the rig rocking a little. I've said this in other threads on toppers: my wife grew up in Costa Rica where it rained every afternoon and the sound on the metal roofs was rather loud. She loves the sound of the rain on the bed slide and I don't mind it, so we could never justify the expense of toppers. I think I've had to get out the ladder and sweep off the slides about eight times in four years.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slide toppers are always a plus, helps with weather damage, noise, heat and overall keeps your slides and seals last longer. I have installed them on a 2400bh and now on my 320mks, the nice thing about the 320mks is that the rails are already installed and are part of the gutters on each slide, the 2 on the left side are breeze but the one on the right is tricky due to the awning. I have always used the Solera brand and the product is great, the worst part is getting them shipped without damage, they come in cardboard tube which is sturdy, but they don't wrap the ends in bubble wrap and there are metal end caps that are not secured very well, so they are only shipped by freight and the end caps come loose and the toppers get damaged, it doesn't matter who you order them from they all get shipped the same, Amazon usually has the best price, etrailer has the best info and sometimes the best price.

Happy Trails