Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tow vehicle for Momentum 351m

Hello all,
    This forum has been helpful in the past so I am once again calling on you experts! We have ordered a Momentum 351m which is ready for us to pick up. We purchased a GMC 3500HD SRW after being assured by both the truck and trailer dealers that we would be able to safely tow. We are going to pick up the trailer this Thursday and the more we read about tow capacity, the more we are unsure of truck purchase. Part of the uncertainty is that we are finding the calculation sheets very confusing.
    We are appreciative of your input!
    Dianne

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne C View Post
    Hello all,
    This forum has been helpful in the past so I am once again calling on you experts! We have ordered a Momentum 351m which is ready for us to pick up. We purchased a GMC 3500HD SRW after being assured by both the truck and trailer dealers that we would be able to safely tow. We are going to pick up the trailer this Thursday and the more we read about tow capacity, the more we are unsure of truck purchase. Part of the uncertainty is that we are finding the calculation sheets very confusing.
    We are appreciative of your input!
    Dianne
    I think you will more than likely be over the trucks posted payload capacity but you certainly won't be alone and, quite honestly, probably be just fine.

You should assume your pin weight will be between 3200 and 3700 lbs. Your truck will likely have a payload of around 3500 lbs. You'll need to understand that everything in the truck, including passengers, hitch, etc. reduces that available capacity so, as I said, you will be very close.

My GMC 3500 SRW (heavily optioned Denali) has a posted payload as 3569. My 337 pin weight is a hefty 3200.

I would not give up on your truck or trailer but you will want to load judiciously and get weighted to better understand your setup.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The weight of your Momentum is almost identical to our soon-to-be-delivered Solitude 373FB-R. Will your 3500 SRW tow your Momentum? Absolutely, and easily! Will you be exceeding your payload capacity? Almost certainly. Will you exceed your rear tire and axle rating? Possibly.

Me? I ended up replacing our 2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW which fit in our garage with a 2019 F-350 DRW which doesn't. This truck is the first vehicle I've ever owned that is parked outside. Giving up the garage was a huge deal for me and made my decision very difficult. But, towing a heavy RV at the limits just made me too uncomfortable.

I figured the odds of a tire or axle failure in our SRW truck were slim but I like to have the most stress free and relaxing towing experience I can get. I have enough to worry about while towing a heavy rig and not having to worry about a failure with the tow vehicle is a big deal - for me. How about you?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably going to be over your GVWR that listed Federal Safety Compliance sticker on your door jam. Many say that not important but here is what GMC states on their website and I let you be the judge.

https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/how-to/understanding-gross-vehicle-weight-rating

The other problem I had with my GMC was that had 7,050-pound axles and when I brought my truck to the scales the rear axle weight in at 3540 pounds with the hitch installed and full of fuel. Subtract the axle weight from the axle ratings that only left me 3510 before exceeding the rear axle rating.

Here is what Towing Planner says the pin weight will be but Toy Haulers are little different than standard 5er since you put weight in the back.

http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/...0&lw=15100&a=3
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that model of the momentum states a hitch weight somewhere of 2700... is this different than payload?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaesyandtombutler View Post
    I think that model of the momentum states a hitch weight somewhere of 2700... is this different than payload?

And just to add, we are going to go full time in an rv soon. Have not purchased a rig but have a 2016 ram 3500 crew cab srw 6.3 box. Want to make sure we are making a smart purchase and trying to learn as much as we can before we buy in late 2019. Any info would be welcomed! Also, we will be working from home so toy haulers make more sense because of the garage we can convert to an office. There will be no need for a generator.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch weight is one component of the payload calculation. The people, pets, and anything else in or on the truck is also payload.

If you haven't seen the thread in the REFERENCE LIBRARY on this topic, please give it a look. There is an accumulation of resources there that will likely be all you need to understand this topic. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a great video on a Grand Design Toy Hauler and pin weights/tips and tricks hooking up to it/how to back it in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87runDszXLQ&t=574s

And just to add, we are going to go full time in an rv soon. Have not purchased a rig but have a 2016 ram 3500 crew cab srw 6.3 box. Want to make sure we are making a smart purchase and trying to learn as much as we can before we buy in late 2019. Any info would be welcomed! Also, we will be working from home so toy haulers make more sense because of the garage we can convert to an office. There will be no need for a generator.

Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Here's where folks get into trouble. The 2,785 listed in brochures and online is calculated off dry weight. No one tows a trailer at their dry weight. Heck, it's unlikely the trailers arrive at the dealerships at the listed dry weight. Just add one thing and it's already over that. For safety you should always calculate the PIN at their potential gross weight. In this case it's 16,800 lbs. Using a typical rate of about 20% (although my unofficial review of what most Grand Design owners report on actual scaled units being more like 21 or 22%) that would mean you need to assume you will have a PIN weight of over 3,300 lbs.

Based on my first comment above I bet you will be over that SRWs payload from the get go. Now add a family of 4? Also, just a personal opinion but if I were full timing I would never even consider a SRW truck. DRW gives you so much more leeway and confidence on the road. This is coming from someone with a SRW towing a trailer with 3,200 lbs of PIN weight. If you haven't bought the truck yet why get the minimal truck to haul your family and home? Just my personal opinion.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post
    Here's where folks get into trouble. The 2,785 listed in brochures and online is calculated off dry weight. No one tows a trailer at their dry weight. Heck, it's unlikely the trailers arrive at the dealerships at the listed dry weight. Just add one thing and it's already over that. For safety you should always calculate the PIN at their potential gross weight. In this case it's 16,800 lbs. Using a typical rate of about 20% (although my unofficial review of what most Grand Design owners report on actual scaled units being more like 21 or 22%) that would mean you need to assume you will have a PIN weight of over 3,300 lbs.

Based on my first comment above I bet you will be over that SRWs payload from the get go. Now add a family of 4? Also, just a personal opinion but if I were full timing I would never even consider a SRW truck. DRW gives you so much more leeway and confidence on the road. This is coming from someone with a SRW towing a trailer with 3,200 lbs of PIN weight. If you haven't bought the truck yet why get the minimal truck to haul your family and home? Just my personal opinion.
    Thank you for your response! All of you!
    Maybe the momentum will be too much after all. We already purchased the truck. we have owned it for a bit now. So we need a rig that will tow well safely, that has an area for an office. It will just be the two of us adults and pets. Kids have moved on . No toys hauled. No generator. Maybe someone knows a fiver toy hauler or not, that will suit our needs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast