User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replacing WFCO Converter?

We do a lot of BoonDocking and I am noticing that it takes FOREVER, for my generator to charge my dual 6v Trojan Batteries. My batteries require 14.4v to get 100% charge.

Has anyone updated the stock converter with one of the NEW converters that will charge at 14.4V.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many have. Iota or Progressive Dynamics seem to be favorites, I went with a Magnum inverter that has a built in 125 amp charger with customizable charge profile. If you do a search you'll see a too of results.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a replacement with a Progressive Dynamics 9260C. It puts out 14.8 volts that Trojan recommends for their 6 volt batteries. And with the push of a button, you can change the charge voltage.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Progressive Dynamics with Charge Wizard even before I took delivery of my Imagine 2250.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Info

Questions: How do you figure how many amp unit to get? I am assuming the more amps the faster charging time?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trojan suggests 10 to 13% of the 20 hour capacity.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My understanding is you need to find out what the original converter was putting out and match it. That's what the wiring is rated for.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of swapping the small WFCO 9855 (55 Amps) with a Progressive Dynamics 9260C (60 Amps). While the amperage change is not significant, the technology is. The Progressive unit works on four stages (the WFCO only has three) and is much more friendly with my Optima AGM batteries (three D31M's).

The challenge I'm finding is that the factory hard wired the converter into the breaker panel, so I'm going to have to cut the old cord on the WFCO, and install a 110VAC outlet on the wall so that I can just plug the converter directly into it. Thus it becomes "field replaceable" if it ever goes bad down the road.

Also I have to do a significant amount of wiring clean up, as there are all kinds of wires just laying on the converter (which does generate heat) and tie wrap them away from the converter, I'm also putting some standoffs to raise the converter off the wood floor at the same time.

Lets just say "Pandora's Box" is behind the false wall panel in the hold, and leave it at that.
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mestubbe View Post
    I'm in the process of swapping the small WFCO 9855 (55 Amps) with a Progressive Dynamics 9260C (60 Amps). While the amperage change is not significant, the technology is. The Progressive unit works on four stages (the WFCO only has three) and is much more friendly with my Optima AGM batteries (three D31M's).

The challenge I'm finding is that the factory hard wired the converter into the breaker panel, so I'm going to have to cut the old cord on the WFCO, and install a 110VAC outlet on the wall so that I can just plug the converter directly into it. Thus it becomes "field replaceable" if it ever goes bad down the road.
    Interesting how they change stuff up. I also replaced my WFCO with the same Progressive Dynamics version and the WFCO was plugged into the panel! Made the process so easy which was good since I was camping in the redwoods when mine failed (even though I carry enough tools to build and RV )
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mestubbe View Post

My WFCO (8930/50) AC/DC Panel has the converter's 120VAC outlet integrated on its backside.
    This pict shows it as the black square with white, green, black wires.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Converter 120VAC Integrated Outlet.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	16338
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast