User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm letting the professionals install our Dish RF Mogul antenna on our 374TH-R.
    Cal Thorne will be doing the job in my driveway in a few weeks.
    Advanced Satellite
    (541) 607-8968
    rvtv2go.com

I don't know where we will be putting the Hopper yet. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'm letting the professionals install our Dish RF Mogul antenna on our 374TH-R.
    Cal Thorne will be doing the job in my driveway in a few weeks.
    Advanced Satellite
    (541) 607-8968
    rvtv2go.com

I don't know where we will be putting the Hopper yet. KEN
    And they will do a stellar job. We had them replace a malfunctioning Winegard Traveler with the RF Mogul on our motorhome when we were in Eugene several years ago. Their service was excellent and the RF Mogul was far superior to the Traveler. Good choice.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    ...and the RF Mogul was far superior to the Traveler.
    Can you elaborate, please? Why is the RF Mogul superior?

I'm looking at Trav'ler-level antennas because the secondary receiver (in this case it will the one in the bedroom) isn't limited to the primary receiver's satellite programming. (There'd be heck to pay if I changed channels in the living room and it shut off HGTV in the bedroom, so it is unlikely I'll buy something like the DISH Playmaker Dual.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Can you elaborate, please? Why is the RF Mogul superior?

I'm looking at Trav'ler-level antennas because the secondary receiver (in this case it will the one in the bedroom) isn't limited to the primary receiver's satellite programming. (There'd be heck to pay if I changed channels in the living room and it shut off HGTV in the bedroom, so it is unlikely I'll buy something like the DISH Playmaker Dual.)
    The RF Mogul is built more sturdily than the Traveler. If you compare them side by side, you can see and feel the difference. When the RF Mogul locks onto the bird, there is no slop in the turret. It is rock steady unlike a Traveler which you can easily move back and forth after it locks on. The Traveler has most of its electronics mounted under the turret....the little box in your rig is merely a control box. That is, IMO, why so many folks who have problems with the Traveler end up having to ship them back to Winegard for repair. The RF Mogul only has the motors and a little GPS module mounted in the roof top unit. All the brains are in the box that stays inside out of the weather. If you ever have issues with the box, RFMogul just sends you a new one.

The greatest and most positive difference, IMO, is the RF Mogul is completely field serviceable. If you can use a screwdriver and a phone, Carlo at RF Mogul can talk you thru most any fix. I had a GPS module fail......diagnosed over the phone, new module shipped to me overnight, took me all of 10 minutes with a phillips screwdriver to replace it. On another occasion, the unit would not lock onto the satellites. I called Carlo, we talked and discovered I needed a software update to my box. Carlo sent me an email with the new software, copied to a USB jump drive, downloaded to box and all was well in 30 minutes. Can't do any of that with the Traveler.

OH, and I never waited more than about 3 minutes of search time for the RF Mogul to find the birds.....including peaking.

Finally, it is less expensive and more easy to switch a Direct TV RF Mogul to DISH and vice versa. I had planned to install one of my Solitude but since we are on a permanent site, I just installed a fixed Slimline Direct TV dish on my rear ladder and I am good to go. Cost me less than $75.

If you have any questions about the RF Mogul, give them a call in Utah and ask for Carlo. He can answer any question you have. RF Mogul has been more popular in the western states since many of the high end coach builders like Country Coach and Marathon used them. Before that, they used Datastorm which bellied up. Some of the former Datastorm engineers started up RF Mogul.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    The RF Mogul is built more sturdily than the Traveler. If you compare them side by side, you can see and feel the difference. When the RF Mogul locks onto the bird, there is no slop in the turret. It is rock steady unlike a Traveler which you can easily move back and forth after it locks on. The Traveler has most of its electronics mounted under the turret....the little box in your rig is merely a control box. That is, IMO, why so many folks who have problems with the Traveler end up having to ship them back to Winegard for repair. The RF Mogul only has the motors and a little GPS module mounted in the roof top unit. All the brains are in the box that stays inside out of the weather. If you ever have issues with the box, RFMogul just sends you a new one.

The greatest and most positive difference, IMO, is the RF Mogul is completely field serviceable. If you can use a screwdriver and a phone, Carlo at RF Mogul can talk you thru most any fix. I had a GPS module fail......diagnosed over the phone, new module shipped to me overnight, took me all of 10 minutes with a phillips screwdriver to replace it. On another occasion, the unit would not lock onto the satellites. I called Carlo, we talked and discovered I needed a software update to my box. Carlo sent me an email with the new software, copied to a USB jump drive, downloaded to box and all was well in 30 minutes. Can't do any of that with the Traveler.

OH, and I never waited more than about 3 minutes of search time for the RF Mogul to find the birds.....including peaking.

Finally, it is less expensive and more easy to switch a Direct TV RF Mogul to DISH and vice versa. I had planned to install one of my Solitude but since we are on a permanent site, I just installed a fixed Slimline Direct TV dish on my rear ladder and I am good to go. Cost me less than $75.

If you have any questions about the RF Mogul, give them a call in Utah and ask for Carlo. He can answer any question you have. RF Mogul has been more popular in the western states since many of the high end coach builders like Country Coach and Marathon used them. Before that, they used Datastorm which bellied up. Some of the former Datastorm engineers started up RF Mogul.
    Fantastic post--thank you.

At the risk of taking this thread OT...one more question if you don't mind. How many times did you find the southern sky blocked by an obstruction (thus no TV) when you had the fixed-antenna on the roof of your RV? I've seen so many of the portables on stands in front of rigs, is it because they are less expensive or the flexibility of being able to position the antenna in the "right spot" to see the sky?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the RF Mogul.....Had money in hand to buy the Winegard, then the Mogul was mention and I started researching online. It didn’t take long to see all of the advantages of the Mogul. After discounts and some negotiating I got the Mogul for about $100 more than the Winegard. Money well spent in my opinion.

I did a self install and had a small issue. The azimuth was not working properly. Made a 5 minute phone call, followed their instructions, and corrected the problem with a phillips head screwdriver in about 3 minutes. Much better than removing the whole unit and shipping it back.

Most people believe that the Winegard is their only choice. I believe that to be a big mistake. I am totally satisfied with the Mogul.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Fantastic post--thank you.

At the risk of taking this thread OT...one more question if you don't mind. How many times did you find the southern sky blocked by an obstruction (thus no TV) when you had the fixed-antenna on the roof of your RV? I've seen so many of the portables on stands in front of rigs, is it because they are less expensive or the flexibility of being able to position the antenna in the "right spot" to see the sky?
    I can only remember one time when we could not use the roof top sat dish and that was in a heavily wooded KOA in Illinois. We had two Travelers and the RF Mogul (on two motorhomes) over a 13 year period and that is the only time I can remember. We pulled into a nice RV park in Sisters, OR and once parked, the Mogul could not lock on due to a tree in an adjacent site. I just moved the coach about two feet forward and the dish found the birds. We got into the habit of asking for 'satellite friendly' sites when making reservations or checking in. Since we always used privately owned RV parks, that was usually easily done. I would use RVParky app to check RV park options, look at the satellite view to locate trees and see if the park had open sites. We hauled a portable dish with tripod around for 5 years and never used it so I sold it.

Obviously it depends on where you prefer to park. If you like lots of shade trees you may need a tripod dish. They are cheap from Solid Signal.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for such detailed information!! We are picking up our 2020 397TH on 10/25 and will be installing satellite. After reading your post I know we can do it ourselves.
    Thank you again,
    Dani

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Here is a picture of the dish mounted on the roof with the cables running to the factory plate/hole.

Attachment 16196

I mounted the controller in the hutch cabinet above the One Control panel. Your location in a Solitude will depend upon where the cables from the roof to the basement actually run. You may want the controller next to your main TV and main receiver (Genie). Remember, that the controller cable and the RG6 cable from the satellite dish on the roof must run to the controller and then to the power booster. The controller acts as a pass thru for the signal to the receiver.

Attachment 16197

Grand Design has made a perfect location for making all of your connections and I got this idea from this forum. (I forgot who did it first and I thank you). Your Solitude should be very similar. If you check behind the panels you will find that the satellite cables are separated and not the same as the "cable" connection. On my Momentum each of the 4 TV locations has it own satellite and cable connection plate. The satellite cables are ran separately to each location without splinters. This is why the control station works as perfect location for making all of you connections. Not sure about the regular cable connections.

Attachment 16198Attachment 16199

This setup makes it easy to make all of your connections. With the way it is connected in the picture allows me to have the main receiver (Genie) in the living room next to the TV. The other 3 TV locations (bedroom, outside, and the hutch location in the kitchen) will now work with the Mini Genies. I have checked and tested all locations and each location are able to watch a different station at the same time. The Genie has 5 tuners and each Mini Genie if fully functional with their own separate remote control. Exactly as it works in you home.

The next picture shows the pass thru cable coming from the RF Mogul controller to the DirecTV SWM power booster. I drilled a hole through the wall and used a gourmet to protect the cable. Two reasons I mount the power booster here was, first it was simple and easy to do and second, it allow me to disconnect the RG6 cable coming from the controller. Then when I need to use my tripod satellite (when trees are in the way) I can run the my extra RG6 cable coming up through the water hose opening in the bottom of the panel into the SWM power booster. Now everything works exactly the same whether I am connected to the RF Mogul roof top satellite dish or to my tripod satellite dish when needed.

Attachment 16200

If you decide that you would not need to have the option of using an external tripod mounted satellite dish, you could mount the RF Mogul controller, DirecTV SWM booster, and the Genie receiver together next to or near the main TV hidden in a cabinet or however it suits you. Then you would only have to run the output cable from the SWM booster back to the splitter located in the control panel. This centralize location really makes the installation much easier.

I hope that the pictures and what I did makes sense to you. Not sure how much the dealer will want to do it your way or just do the quickest and easiest way they can.
    Thank you for such detailed information!! We are picking up our 2020 397TH on 10/25 and will be installing satellite. After reading your post I know we can do it ourselves.
    Thank you again,
    Dani

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 Momentum 376TH

My wife and I just purchased our new 376TH and I have been concerned about the directv install. I have purchased 3 HD receivers from Winegard and the HD Tripod Dish setup with SWIM.

I saw your post on what appears to be a Momentum 376 TH and I can’t thank you enough for posting. I am still a little worried but the way you have your setup is the way I want mine configured also. Please let me know if you have any more tips. Thanks

Dave

QUOTE=vonzoog;198646]Here is a picture of the dish mounted on the roof with the cables running to the factory plate/hole.

Attachment 16196

I mounted the controller in the hutch cabinet above the One Control panel. Your location in a Solitude will depend upon where the cables from the roof to the basement actually run. You may want the controller next to your main TV and main receiver (Genie). Remember, that the controller cable and the RG6 cable from the satellite dish on the roof must run to the controller and then to the power booster. The controller acts as a pass thru for the signal to the receiver.

Attachment 16197

Grand Design has made a perfect location for making all of your connections and I got this idea from this forum. (I forgot who did it first and I thank you). Your Solitude should be very similar. If you check behind the panels you will find that the satellite cables are separated and not the same as the "cable" connection. On my Momentum each of the 4 TV locations has it own satellite and cable connection plate. The satellite cables are ran separately to each location without splinters. This is why the control station works as perfect location for making all of you connections. Not sure about the regular cable connections.

Attachment 16198Attachment 16199

This setup makes it easy to make all of your connections. With the way it is connected in the picture allows me to have the main receiver (Genie) in the living room next to the TV. The other 3 TV locations (bedroom, outside, and the hutch location in the kitchen) will now work with the Mini Genies. I have checked and tested all locations and each location are able to watch a different station at the same time. The Genie has 5 tuners and each Mini Genie if fully functional with their own separate remote control. Exactly as it works in you home.

The next picture shows the pass thru cable coming from the RF Mogul controller to the DirecTV SWM power booster. I drilled a hole through the wall and used a gourmet to protect the cable. Two reasons I mount the power booster here was, first it was simple and easy to do and second, it allow me to disconnect the RG6 cable coming from the controller. Then when I need to use my tripod satellite (when trees are in the way) I can run the my extra RG6 cable coming up through the water hose opening in the bottom of the panel into the SWM power booster. Now everything works exactly the same whether I am connected to the RF Mogul roof top satellite dish or to my tripod satellite dish when needed.

Attachment 16200

If you decide that you would not need to have the option of using an external tripod mounted satellite dish, you could mount the RF Mogul controller, DirecTV SWM booster, and the Genie receiver together next to or near the main TV hidden in a cabinet or however it suits you. Then you would only have to run the output cable from the SWM booster back to the splitter located in the control panel. This centralize location really makes the installation much easier.

I hope that the pictures and what I did makes sense to you. Not sure how much the dealer will want to do it your way or just do the quickest and easiest way they can.[/QUOTE]
    2019 GMC 3500 Denali HD
    Air Lift WirelessONE Compressor w/ EZ-MOUNT
    2019 Momentum 376TH
    2020 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast