User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Factory wiring for satellite TV, 2019 Solitude

We are getting a new 2019 Solitude 384GK later this week. As I ponder installing an auto sat dish for Direct TV (I will be installing the RF Mogul), I am curious how Grand Designs wired the rig. In my current RV, the coax from the sat dish comes to a SWM splitter. Two coax cables leave the splitter....one goes to my HR54 HD/DVR receiver and the other goes to an HR24 receiver in the bedroom. There is a second coax to each TV that allows me to use either a cable or OTA signal to either TV.

When I was looking at the Solitude at the dealer, I saw only one coax pulled to the cabinet near either TV. There was a label on a single coax connector that said 'SAT/Cable.' The salesman said the rig was already factory prepped for a satellite but was not clear on what that meant. I asked if there was a place where all the coax cables came together and he just said in an outside compartment.

So, if there is only one coax pulled to each of the TV's and GD allows some method of putting either a signal from the OTA antenna or cable/sat to that coax with some sort of switching device, how do they provide for the ability to allow OTA/SAT/Cable to either TV with only one coax pulled to the TV. In a Direct TV application, the coax from the sat dish must connect to the DTV receiver. It would seem to me there should be a second coax at each TV location.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Does 'SAT Prep' mean GD actually pulled some coax to a location on the roof for a sat dish?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    ...Does 'SAT Prep' mean GD actually pulled some coax to a location on the roof for a sat dish?
    I won't speculate on your other questions but I do know there is no wiring on the roof for a satellite dish. There is, however, an access plate on the roof that you can use to run wires to the roof for the dish. I guess that sorta-kinda counts as SAT prep.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    I won't speculate on your other questions but I do know there is no wiring on the roof for a satellite dish. There is, however, an access plate on the roof that you can use to run wires to the roof for the dish. I guess that sorta-kinda counts as SAT prep.
    Where on the roof is the access plate? If you remove the plate, does it reveal a conduit or some other way to run a coax from the roof to a location where the other installed coax cables come together?

Thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a small plate approximately 5” x 5” with sealant smeared all over it. By removing the sealant (heat gun really helps) then 4 small screws, it will reveal that they have “x” cut the roof membrane. Looking under the cut there is round hole cut through the roof where you can snake your satellite/solar cables down to the basement area.

I am heading out the door now and will be back around noon. I will try to get back to you with pictures on how I install the RF Mogul Eagle on our Momentum. Picture of my cable connections that I copied off someone here in this forum.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a picture of the dish mounted on the roof with the cables running to the factory plate/hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	968.7 KB 
ID:	16196

I mounted the controller in the hutch cabinet above the One Control panel. Your location in a Solitude will depend upon where the cables from the roof to the basement actually run. You may want the controller next to your main TV and main receiver (Genie). Remember, that the controller cable and the RG6 cable from the satellite dish on the roof must run to the controller and then to the power booster. The controller acts as a pass thru for the signal to the receiver.

Name:	IMG_3043.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	16197

Grand Design has made a perfect location for making all of your connections and I got this idea from this forum. (I forgot who did it first and I thank you). Your Solitude should be very similar. If you check behind the panels you will find that the satellite cables are separated and not the same as the "cable" connection. On my Momentum each of the 4 TV locations has it own satellite and cable connection plate. The satellite cables are ran separately to each location without splinters. This is why the control station works as perfect location for making all of you connections. Not sure about the regular cable connections.

Name:	IMG_3045.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	16198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3046.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	16199

This setup makes it easy to make all of your connections. With the way it is connected in the picture allows me to have the main receiver (Genie) in the living room next to the TV. The other 3 TV locations (bedroom, outside, and the hutch location in the kitchen) will now work with the Mini Genies. I have checked and tested all locations and each location are able to watch a different station at the same time. The Genie has 5 tuners and each Mini Genie if fully functional with their own separate remote control. Exactly as it works in you home.

The next picture shows the pass thru cable coming from the RF Mogul controller to the DirecTV SWM power booster. I drilled a hole through the wall and used a gourmet to protect the cable. Two reasons I mount the power booster here was, first it was simple and easy to do and second, it allow me to disconnect the RG6 cable coming from the controller. Then when I need to use my tripod satellite (when trees are in the way) I can run the my extra RG6 cable coming up through the water hose opening in the bottom of the panel into the SWM power booster. Now everything works exactly the same whether I am connected to the RF Mogul roof top satellite dish or to my tripod satellite dish when needed.

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1,018.3 KB 
ID:	16200

If you decide that you would not need to have the option of using an external tripod mounted satellite dish, you could mount the RF Mogul controller, DirecTV SWM booster, and the Genie receiver together next to or near the main TV hidden in a cabinet or however it suits you. Then you would only have to run the output cable from the SWM booster back to the splitter located in the control panel. This centralize location really makes the installation much easier.

I hope that the pictures and what I did makes sense to you. Not sure how much the dealer will want to do it your way or just do the quickest and easiest way they can.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzoog View Post
    Here is a picture of the dish mounted on the roof with the cables running to the factory plate/hole.

Name:	IMG_3041.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	968.7 KB 
ID:	16196

I mounted the controller in the hutch cabinet above the One Control panel. Your location in a Solitude will depend upon where the cables from the roof to the basement actually run. You may want the controller next to your main TV and main receiver (Genie). Remember, that the controller cable and the RG6 cable from the satellite dish on the roof must run to the controller and then to the power booster. The controller acts as a pass thru for the signal to the receiver.

Name:	IMG_3043.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	16197

Grand Design has made a perfect location for making all of your connections and I got this idea from this forum. (I forgot who did it first and I thank you). Your Solitude should be very similar. If you check behind the panels you will find that the satellite cables are separated and not the same as the "cable" connection. On my Momentum each of the 4 TV locations has it own satellite and cable connection plate. The satellite cables are ran separately to each location without splinters. This is why the control station works as perfect location for making all of you connections. Not sure about the regular cable connections.

Name:	IMG_3045.jpeg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	16198Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3046.jpeg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	16199

This setup makes it easy to make all of your connections. With the way it is connected in the picture allows me to have the main receiver (Genie) in the living room next to the TV. The other 3 TV locations (bedroom, outside, and the hutch location in the kitchen) will now work with the Mini Genies. I have checked and tested all locations and each location are able to watch a different station at the same time. The Genie has 5 tuners and each Mini Genie if fully functional with their own separate remote control. Exactly as it works in you home.

The next picture shows the pass thru cable coming from the RF Mogul controller to the DirecTV SWM power booster. I drilled a hole through the wall and used a gourmet to protect the cable. Two reasons I mount the power booster here was, first it was simple and easy to do and second, it allow me to disconnect the RG6 cable coming from the controller. Then when I need to use my tripod satellite (when trees are in the way) I can run the my extra RG6 cable coming up through the water hose opening in the bottom of the panel into the SWM power booster. Now everything works exactly the same whether I am connected to the RF Mogul roof top satellite dish or to my tripod satellite dish when needed.

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	1,018.3 KB 
ID:	16200

If you decide that you would not need to have the option of using an external tripod mounted satellite dish, you could mount the RF Mogul controller, DirecTV SWM booster, and the Genie receiver together next to or near the main TV hidden in a cabinet or however it suits you. Then you would only have to run the output cable from the SWM booster back to the splitter located in the control panel. This centralize location really makes the installation much easier.

I hope that the pictures and what I did makes sense to you. Not sure how much the dealer will want to do it your way or just do the quickest and easiest way they can.
    Thanks for this thorough explanation with pics. We will be doing our walk thru with the dealer tech tomorrow and I will look more carefully at how they have it wired. I use a HR54 for my main receiver and it sends power to the LNB so you don't need the power inserter. I have a power inserter but have not needed it with this HR54.

I have had the RF Mogul on my motorhome for three years and it has been fabulous. As long as the wiring is there as you noted, I have no problem installing an RF Mogul myself. I called them yesterday and they will not sell direct to a customer. I have to order through one of their dealers but they will drop ship the unit to me. I will probably mount the RF Mogul controller in the cabinet near the front TV (TV is on a televator in a cabinet under the window). There is a control panel in the hallway but I did not see if there was space there. If so, that might be a better location for the controller assuming I can snake the control cable to that location.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Contact http://www.precisesatellite.com/. Talk to them and work a deal.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking further around this rig, I am not sure GD engineers were thinking about installing any automatic dish like a Traveler or RF Mogul when they designed this rig. Both of my TV's are in slide rooms. The only cable/ant/sat connections are at those two TV's. The 'best' location for the RF Mogul controller would be in the cabinet above the TV in the big galley/living slide....there is AC power there, the sat wiring connection, and reasonable access to run the HDMI cable from the DTV box to the TV in the televator below the cabinet. However, that overhead is in the slide and I have no idea how I can run the control wire from the roof and into that slide.

Unless I am missing something, it looks like the only workable location for the RF Mogul control box would be in the basement near the Nautilus panel. There is power and the incoming coax labeled SAT from the roof. However, the only access panel I can find on the roof is near the OTA antenna which is on the curb side of the rig. The control cable would have to enter the roof on the driver's side to be anywhere near the Nautilus area. Not sure how that could be done.

I've installed two Travelers and one RF Mogul. All were on motorhomes and it was pretty easy to do.

I will be calling GD to see what they can advise. The other option I am considering is using a slimline dish on a tripod. Not what I really want to do but it may be my only option.

At this point, I am wishing we had shopped more carefully.
    2019 Solitude 384GKR
    Stored, used at Myrtle Beach, SC
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ I'll make a suggestion. I do not know where your antenna is located on the roof or the access plate for running your cables from the roof to the basement area. If the access panel is near the front one third of the unit this would allow your cables to run down into the basement area. If so, (I'm looking at the floor plan for your model), you could mount the control box in the cabinet above the desk or somewhere near the desk. Then the RG6 cable from the control box can run to the Nautilus panel and you could make all your connections as shown it the pictures above. This would allow you to put the Genie in the cabinet near your living room TV and any Mini-Genies with any or all of the remaining TVs.

My control box is in my kitchen hutch, not near the living room TV. This allows me to walk in the door, power up the controller and satellite dish and continuing setting up the RV. There really is no need for the controller to be next to the TV.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KirbyRVA View Post
    There is power and the incoming coax labeled SAT from the roof. However, the only access panel I can find on the roof is near the OTA antenna which is on the curb side of the rig. The control cable would have to enter the roof on the driver's side to be anywhere near the Nautilus area. Not sure how that could be done.
    I do not believe there is a satellite cable running from the roof. The RV is wire for satellite so that you can make your connections at the Nautilus box.

My access panel is also on the curb side right next to the edge of the roof. It runs straight down to the basement area behind the carpeted panel in the storage area. From there you can run your control box cable to wherever you decide to mount you control box. From the control box run your RG6 cable back through the storage area to the Nautilus area. You do not have to enter the roof on the driver's side.

Hope that this making any sense for you.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast