User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone wanting more info on this should visit www.rv-project.com

He's an electrical engineer and does some detailed testing and videos on dimmers and lots more.
    Rick

2019 Reflection 150 273MK
    2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
    PullRite Superglide

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is excellent advice if you have a pre-2021 model. However, the 2021 Imagine (possibly earlier) has a membrane control panel (i.e., NO mechanical switches). There is essentially a 2-way switching for the lighting, one (mechanical) switch at the door, and a second "electronic" oneat the membrane panel. Turn on the lights at the door switch, then off at the panel, and the on-off switch position is inverted. I thought I'd be able to install a dimmer switch such as described above, but when I removed the door switch I was surprised to find only 2 wires, vs the 3 wires normally associated with an electromechanical 2 way switch. Further investigation discovered that the central control (membrane) panel, rather than having individual wires coming out for each function, has just TWO wires exiting to a rear bus of some sort. I do believe this is a sort of automotive CAN system, and after ordering and returning two different dimmer switches, I gave up on a one-spot dimmer switch.

Instead, I decided to swap out my existing, non-switched ceiling LED lights (all NINE), with slightly larger 5" units, each of which has its own integrated dimmer switch.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ODVEWPG...sc=1<br /> -- Click image for larger version. 

Name:	412GS06imjL._AC_.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.0 KB 
ID:	33722

Two nice things about the lights I purchased. First, they retain their previously-set dimmer value even when power is shut off from the main switch(es), and secondly, they install, surface mount, via 4 small screws right into the ceiling material, so no need to enlarge the hole to accommodate a spring-style mount as original. It took me about 45 minutes to change out all 9 lights, and the dimming range is exactly what one would want. Of course, it's nice to be able to set the light intensity individually for each light, making for a perfectly tailored interior environment. The only downside is that, at $22/each, the conversion (times 9) is a bit pricey.

If someone "cracks the code" as to how to interject a single point dimmer switch into these newer, soft-switch systems, I'd sure love to learn about it, but of course, we'll be very happy with our currently installed modification.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a few posts from folks with a control panel trying to install dimmers only to find out they didn't have an analog panel but some kind of newer digital lighting control panel.

At some point in the wiring scheme the lighting circuit one wants to apply a dimmer to has to leave the digital control panel/board/circuit and apply 12v to the light(s) one is interested in dimming. So, it seems, it is at that point where the dimmer should be installed. That is going to require more work and investigation than simply replacing the "on/off" switch for the lights. If one can find the circuit to the lights then wiring for a dimmer can be installed and run to a panel or wall or location where one wants to install the dimmer.

It's more work, but I think it can be done. I think I need to go visit some new model GS's to see what they are using for electronic/digital lighting control.

And now I know why I like the Spyder system Tiffin/Vanleigh uses..... I think it a much better system than OneControl or LCI or whatever the other alternatives are. It seems more well thought out.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dimmer install and relocated switch

Like everyone else here I found the 4 main lights in my 290bh too bright to watch TV. I also thought it was dumb to put the one light switch I will use the most behind the door panel on the main control panel, but they thought it would be good to put a switch for 2 stupid lights above the hutch cabinet that I'll never use on the wall where is easiest to access.

So, while I was disconnecting the switch for the 4 main lights from the main control panel behind said door I installed my new dimmer switch on the wall near the thermostat and control for roof vent.

The light switch location is a picky little thing but I'm happier now and the dimmer is great.

Next mod is splitting the heater duct for the front bedroom and installing a new heater vent in the stairs, like many of the other models already have. Also going to install an in-duct blower fan for the rear heater vent to boost the air flow back there. I'll wire it into the furnace blower so it'll go on and off with that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123