User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lighting Dimmer Switch Installed.

The DW and I pretty much considered the lighting directly over the recliners as useless. The 3 LED fixtures were just too bright to be used at night while watching TV. And the light was pretty harsh for reading.

I installed a dimmer in the lighting circuit and we'll test it this weekend while in the FL Keys.

The switch for that lighting is under the midship cupboard. I got 12v for the dimmer from the switched side of the switch that originally fed the lights and cut the ground wire that ran to the lights for the ground connection the dimmer required. I reconnected the 12v and ground for the lighting from the dimmer to the lights. At least there was a dedicated 12v and ground wire to those lights, otherwise the dimmer I chose wouldn't work.

I had to fish the wiring (12v supply; ground; lighting 12v; lighting ground) from under the cupboard into the wall between the cupboard and bathroom and into the open area behind the panel. It wasn't too difficult.

The photos explain how I disassembled the dimmer and mounted it inside the panel.

This is the before and after wiring diagram....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 9.47.57 PM.png 
Views:	198 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	16217

This is the switch I used, how I disassembled it, and how I mounted it to the lighting panel...

Name:	IMG_7959.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	16218 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7960.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	16219 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7964.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	16220 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7965.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	16221
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    The DW and I pretty much considered the lighting directly over the recliners as useless. The 3 LED fixtures were just too bright to be used at night while watching TV. And the light was pretty harsh for reading.

I installed a dimmer in the lighting circuit and we'll test it this weekend while in the FL Keys.

The switch for that lighting is under the midship cupboard. I got 12v for the dimmer from the switched side of the switch that originally fed the lights and cut the ground wire that ran to the lights for the ground connection the dimmer required. I reconnected the 12v and ground for the lighting from the dimmer to the lights. At least there was a dedicated 12v and ground wire to those lights, otherwise the dimmer I chose wouldn't work.

I had to fish the wiring (12v supply; ground; lighting 12v; lighting ground) from under the cupboard into the wall between the cupboard and bathroom and into the open area behind the panel. It wasn't too difficult.

The photos explain how I disassembled the dimmer and mounted it inside the panel.

This is the switch I used, how I disassembled it, and how I mounted it to the lighting panel...

Do you have any source info for obtaining the switch?

I didn't understand your comment: "At least there was a dedicated 12v and ground wire to those lights, otherwise the dimmer I chose wouldn't work." Can you clarify?

Thanks.
    Steve and Renee
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes, Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewssteve View Post
    I didn't understand your comment: "At least there was a dedicated 12v and ground wire to those lights, otherwise the dimmer I chose wouldn't work." Can you clarify?

Thanks.
    Hi Steve,

Most LED “dimmers” control the amount of light by cycling the LEDs on and off at a high frequency. They are called PWMs (pulse width modulation). The amount of time the LED is on vs the amount of time it is off determines how “bright” it appears. To do this, the PWM needs dedicated + and - for the LED circuit. It the ground for the LEDs goes elsewhere or combines with other grounds, the PWM will not work.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    traveldawg - Nice dimmer installation!

I have done several similar installations. Some by reworking production switches as you did and some by building the PWMs from component kits. Search on “Awning Dimmer Rob” to find the many similar discussions that I have been involved in.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic! Another project to add to my list...
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.
    This one looks similar: https://www.amazon.com/DC-12-Adjusta.../dp/B014GZ9J9W
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got it on Amazon..... Switch
    Thanks.

A lot of RV lights share a common ground; not all the time but a lot of the time. The ground and +12v for the 3 lights above the recliners have a dedicated wire that ties back to the cabinet the switch is in. As another poster explained, the type of dimmer I used (PCM) requires a dedicated + and - to control the lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    traveldawg - Nice dimmer installation!
    I have done several similar installations. Some by reworking production switches as you did and some by building the PWMs from component kits. Search on “Awning Dimmer Rob” to find the many similar discussions that I have been involved in.
    Rob

Rob, I've seen (and followed) your dimmer posts. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

an update.... tried the lights last night and they are now much more useful. I'll do the same mod to the 3 lights over the dinette when we get home.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Most LED “dimmers” control the amount of light by cycling the LEDs on and off at a high frequency. They are called PWMs (pulse width modulation).
    an update.... tried the lights last night and they are now much more useful. I'll do the same mod to the 3 lights over the dinette when we get home.
    Is the on-off "vibration" of the lights at all detectable? Would someone who notices the flicker in flourescents notice a flicker in PWM-controlled LEDs? Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Is the on-off "vibration" of the lights at all detectable? Would someone who notices the flicker in flourescents notice a flicker in PWM-controlled LEDs? Thanks.
    It's possible you will notice something. I have the main cabin lights on a remote control dimmer. At the lowest setting I perceive a slight glimmer but after a minute I don't notice it. I have the dining and sofa lights on touch dimmers and have no perceived flicker. Also installed touch control reading lamps above the bed and the recliners. No flicker.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I have never noticed any flicker in the dimmed LEDs. I don’t know what frequency they typically use, but I expect it is higher than the 60 Hz of 120VAC lighting.

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 11-10-2018 at 04:52 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast