User Tag List

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Imagine 2950RL Axle and Brake Parts

Hey guys talk to me about this subject. I've got myself all confused. What I am looking to do is maybe carry around a spare leaf spring just in case. Also to repack the wheel bearings and install new seals come May and whenever I need to put new brake shoes on what fits? You got to get the right replacement parts. i was looking at E-trailer for whole replacement brake assy but nothing listed for a 4400# axle.

Our 2017 2950 has LCI 4400# axles so I assume it has 2200# springs 4 leafs. But looking through a few parts sources (E-trailer, Amazon and what not) I don't find specific parts for 4400# axles or 2200# springs. I find 2250 or 2500 springs, 5 or 6 leaves. And with the axles I find 3500#, or 4000# or 5200# axles but no 4400#. Are 4400# axles rare or something?

Now reading through a lot of the forum posts with spring and axle problems and taking note of what people have said, it seems that the 4400# axles may belong to the 5200# category but that doesn't mean the individual parts are the same, or does it? Bearings, seals, brake shoes, leaf springs, U Bolts etc.

For example E-trailer says the closest thing they have to 2200# springs is 2250# but these are 6 leaves not 4. They are the right length of 26 inches, I don't know what the arch is but wouldn't they tend to make the coach set higher on that 6 leave spring? Now you got mixed matched springs on the axles three 2200# 4 leave and one 2250# 6 leaf.

Of course GDRV parts listing for the 2950 is for the complete axle, springs hubs brakes and all. They don't break it down by individual parts. Now I have some information from LCI detailing the 2200# springs part number 129745 and all the dimensions but where to get replacements other than LCI?

I'm just not sure what replacement parts to order other than maybe call LCI? Parts droids are useless at retail or web stores. I just don't want to order parts and find out they don't fit!

Help straighten me out, if that's possible.

Just found some 4400# brake assy on E-trailer. $217 a set. But these are for Dexter axles. Two different parts numbers before and after May 2009. Would they fit LCI?Maybe the 4400# axles are rare. LCI web site doesn't list 4400# axles
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-09-2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: OOIPS
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll try to help with the brakes. Brakes are standard sizes for all. Your axels may have 10" or 12" diameter brakes. This dimension will be the inside of the drum. The brake shoes will have a width of 2" I believe. So when you need new brake shoes or parts you would get 12"x2" for example. The axel parts and springs are generally interchangeable. The springs would be measured as you have done but sourcing the right one may be a little tricky. You can use any spring manufacture for these if they are the right specs.
    If you are near to a trailer manufacture or shop, not RV stuff, they would also be able to help you.
    Surely others will chime in with good help hopefully. It is confusing but kinda simple once you understand it.

Brian

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian.

Well I found this information on another forum from a guy asking the same questions I am. He called LCI and got the following information.

“I was trying to find out what #'s I needed for the bearings and seals for the 4400lb axles I have. Couldn't find any part #'s for 4400lb axles on the Lippert site so I called them. The Axles are rated at 4400lbs, with 10" hubs and have 3500lb axle bearings on them. Same bearing #'s (L68149, L44649) you would use if you’re buying bearings for any 3500lb axle.
    A standard 3500# axle tube is 2-3/8" OD. Lippert is using a 3" tube on their 4400# axle, which is the norm for axles of 5000# and up.
    Alko and Dexter upgrade to #42 spindles for their 4400# axles, rated 2500# ea. (5000# per axle). On the 2500# spindles the inboard bearings are the same as the 3500# axles (L68149), but the outboard spindle diameter and bearings are beefier (1.25" vs 1.06" ID and 2.33" vs 1.98" OD for the bearings).
    If the Lippert parts dept. says to use a 3500# bearing kit, then they must have stuck with the #84 spindles (rated 1750# ea. and 3500# per axle).
    So, Lippert is sort of splitting the difference on their axle rating, calling the assembly 4400# with some components (the tube) over that and some components (spindles/bearings) maybe not so.”

Well I guess I'll call LCI and get the straight skinny before taking anything apart. Let you know later what I find out, maybe others here will what to know as well.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that's confusing to me as well. You will need parts from 2 different sizes. Kinda crazy.

Brian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lippert will give you the standard numbers for the brake and axle assemblies when you call. This will enable you to get the correct parts locally. We have two other trailers besides our fifth wheel and I called Lippert with the serial numbers/part numbers from the axles and got everything I needed. I you get under your unit there is a sticker (typically on the trailer side of the axle tube near the center) that has all of the information you need. I have photos stored of the sticker for all three trailers. I replaced everything on our dump trailer (bearings, races, backing plates/brakes and drums) with Dexter stuff from our local shop and everything works no problem. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well my joy is less than fulfilled but found multiple sources for parts. I had sent LCI a photo of my axle tags(yes I keep a photo copy of the tags) and talked with them about what parts I need. All I got was use part# 129745 for the springs which are 2200#. Use part# 122092 for inner bearing, 122089 for the outer bearing and 122087 for the seal. A quick search of the web turned up a few sources for these parts, carid.com (sourced from LCI) or LCI.com direct and various RV dealerships. Huh, LCI.com seems to be competitive or lower prices than some of the other web sources. The correct leaf spring is $36 from LCI.

So far after a year and a half the axles seem to be holding up fine on our 2017 version 2950RL manufactured Oct 2016. I guess it doesn't matter how the axles are constructed as long as I can find multiple sources for the original parts. On the other hand if the axles have mixed parts between 3500#, 5000# and smaller spindles, using all parts for a generic 3500# or 5000# axle, you wouldn't get the right parts.
    I wish I had a confirmed conversion chart OEM to generic, of part numbers for the bearings and such so I could maybe use a Timken or National product. Could be the same part as LCI uses anyway. Oh well, in these days anymore, I'm not sure one Chinese manufacturer is any better or worse than another Chinese manufacturer.

Or take the original parts and mic them for dimensions and source aftermarket parts with the same dimensions.
    I hope this conversation has helped other owners of the 2950RL manufactured Oct 2016 and later, I wouldn't bet earlier manf dates would be the same, or the 2970RL would be all the same unless you verify.

Oh, to add the brake part numbers LCI number 296649 Left brake assembly 3500# axles, self adjusting 10x2.25 for around $44.03 best web price I saw. LCI number 296650 for the right assembly. I guess that answers the question about the axle. 3500# brake parts on a 4400# rated axle.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 11-15-2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added brake part numbers