User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got it! Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure if I was going to end up with a reoccurring charge for the old SIM or not. Being out another $2 is not even an issue in truth. New SIM on the way...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LV Naturist View Post
    Got it! Thank you for clarifying. I wasn't sure if I was going to end up with a reoccurring charge for the old SIM or not. Being out another $2 is not even an issue in truth. New SIM on the way...

John
    Following up; I just got my renewal bill for this month and it was $70 - expected $35. I emailed AT&T and was told the SIM must be "parked" in your account to not be charged even though I had NEVER actually activated it. My total monthly allocation was 10GB (two 5 GB SIMs). I told them it was surprising they would charge me for the data plan on an inactive SIM but they told me the data plans are cumulative unless parked. They refunded the $35 and I went in and ensured the second SIM was parked.

They view the data plans as cumulative across all SIMs so with two 5 GB plans, you can renew at 0 GB, 5 GB, or 10 GB each month based on what you think you'll need (and what you have parked in your account at renewal). Not a bad option to have.

2020 Grand Design Momentum 349M, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Goodyear G114 17.5" Tires, 1280W Solar w/600AH Battle Born Batteries
    2019 Ford F350 Platinum
    2014 Polaris UTV
    USAF Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggio View Post
    Following up; I just got my renewal bill for this month and it was $70 - expected $35. I emailed AT&T and was told the SIM must be "parked" in your account to not be charged even though I had NEVER actually activated it. My total monthly allocation was 10GB (two 5 GB SIMs). I told them it was surprising they would charge me for the data plan on an inactive SIM but they told me the data plans are cumulative unless parked. They refunded the $35 and I went in and ensured the second SIM was parked.

They view the data plans as cumulative across all SIMs so with two 5 GB plans, you can renew at 0 GB, 5 GB, or 10 GB each month based on what you think you'll need (and what you have parked in your account at renewal). Not a bad option to have.
    Thanks for the update Diggio! Your timing is perfect as I just received the second SIM today. On my dashboard the second SIM shows as "Activation Ready" and I just now parked it without activating it. You just saved me $35 and/or the hassle of trying to get the charge refunded. I owe you an adult beverage of your choice!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a tmobile SIM in our 381m. They have a 6 gig plan that allows free streaming of Netflix, YouTube tv, YouTube, hulu, etc. It works great.
    2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2019 Momentum 381

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by motocamper View Post
    I'm using a tmobile SIM in our 381m. They have a 6 gig plan that allows free streaming of Netflix, YouTube tv, YouTube, hulu, etc. It works great.
    Hi Motocamper. Could you be so kind as to post some information on what you had to do to get the T-Mobile SIM card? Perhaps a link to a website. Reason being I have seen this thread referenced on other sites and the facebook groups for people trying to get the system up and running. This will give others the information they may need to get started with an alternative to AT&T. When I was setting up my system, I couldn't find any information on the T-Mobile IoT SIM's, pricing, etc... Thanks!

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Motocamper. Could you be so kind as to post some information on what you had to do to get the T-Mobile SIM card? Perhaps a link to a website. Reason being I have seen this thread referenced on other sites and the facebook groups for people trying to get the system up and running. This will give others the information they may need to get started with an alternative to AT&T. When I was setting up my system, I couldn't find any information on the T-Mobile IoT SIM's, pricing, etc... Thanks!

John
    Sure. I went to tmobile and purchased a hotspot device. It was an add on to our existing account. We wanted one anyway for travel in our car. I removed the SIM card and put it in the camper. I went through all of the steps in the lci manual to set up an account and Alexa. That was it. I did call my tmobile store to confirm the free streaming. Apparantly some plans allow it and some dont. The corporate chat didnt have the correct info about the streaming. I think the plan is $25 per month.

I'm running a roku box with YouTube tv and Netflix, using it as a hotspot for our other devices, and can control things when I'm away from the camper.
    Last edited by motocamper; 07-04-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    2019 Momentum 381

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure. I went to tmobile and purchased a hotspot device. It was an add on to our existing account. We wanted one anyway for travel in our car. I removed the SIM card and put it in the camper. I went through all of the steps in the lci manual to set up an account and Alexa. That was it. I did call my tmobile store to confirm the free streaming. Apparantly some plans allow it and some dont. The corporate chat didnt have the correct info about the streaming. I think the plan is $25 per month.

I'm running a roku box with YouTube tv and Netflix, using it as a hotspot for our other devices, and can control things when I'm away from the camper.
    Thank you! That's very interesting that the SIM from your hotspot worked by just installing it. My wife had suggested we try that with our Mifi, but I was skeptical so I didn't try it. I may need to experiment with that since we have the unlimited plan on the Mifi. Again, thanks for sharing the information. I'm sure others will benefit.

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI said any gsm service hotspot SIM card should work. CDMA cards will not.
    2019 Momentum 381

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LCI said any gsm service hotspot SIM card should work. CDMA cards will not.
    Pardon my lack of tech savvyness but I don't know what GSM or CDMA means...

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pardon my lack of tech savvyness but I don't know what GSM or CDMA means...

John
    I guess this answers my question. It appears I cannot use my Verizon Mifi SIM to make this work... From an internet search.

"In the US, Sprint, Verizon, and US Cellular use CDMA. AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM. Most of the rest of the world uses GSM. The global spread of GSM came about because in 1987, Europe mandated the technology by law, and because GSM comes from an industry consortium.May 24, 2019"

John
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast