Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our 337 with a 2012 short bed dodge and have a 16k Reese slider. I will tell you it NEEDS the slider if you are turning past 77 degrees or so. So far, haven't needed it, but will be glad I do if the time comes.

As for bed height, it isn't an issue for us, and trailer tows level.
    Last edited by LostinCanada; 08-06-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add bed height comment

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's because dodge has such a short bed on their trucks. Dodge is 76.3, chevy is 78.86 and ford is 81.8 inches.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 16K Draw-Tite slider and second LostinCanada's comments. Depending on where you go, there might be a good chance you will need one at some time. If in doubt, I just slide the hitch and don't worry about it. If you are trying to get into a tight spot, you will have more things on your mind than worrying about hitting the cab.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 16K Hijacker manual slider hitch on my 2010 Dodge RAM 3500 short bed and I would not be without it. Those are tough questions to answer. I struggled with those same questions myself when I bought first last 5er just a few years ago in 2010. Every manufacturer's truck seems to have different box length - even between model years. So what works on your current truck may not work on your next truck. Box height might change as well, but I think that the pinbox can be adjusted to accommodate that.

Also, another consideration for you. Even though the front cap of my Solitude has cut-outs to make turning easier, the front cap sticks out further in relation to the pinbox than on my old 5er so the Solitude's front cap is actually closer to my truck's cab than my last 5er. This affects me as I carry kayaks on my truck's roof (just had to mvd my kayaks further forward). I was so focussed on the picking a trailer with a front cap that has a better turning clearance (for convenience) that I never considered anything else. Always better to have equipment that gives you flexibility. Not sure how the Reflection's cap is positioned in relation to its pinbox but don't forget to check it.

The Solitude's cut-outs does enable me to turn much better, but I still use my slider hitch to get in and out of tighter spaces. Especially parking in nicer spots at the campground without worrying or accidents!

My advice is to go with a slider hitch. Either manual (cheaper) or automatic - doesn't matter. Having a slider hitch will enable you to buy any pickup without worrying about the box dimensions or the cap's clearance. It will also allow you to change trailers later on without worrying if the new one has a cap made for better turning clearance.

As most manufactures offer a 5er hitch as an option, don't get talked into a standard 5er hitch by the sales person if you want a slider hitch

Hope this helps you with your decision. Good Luck & Happy camping!
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I've been installing Curt custom rails on my 03 F250 today, and don't let anyone tell you no drilling is required. The holes didn't line up as promised, and it's been a dirty job with a lot of drilling 1/2" holes.

I'm also installing Air Ride 5000 rear air suspension at the same time. They're the easiest way to get your vehicle to "not squat." While they don't improve your gross load limit, the do improve handling and braking by riding level.

I've never seen so many nuts, bolts and washers as with the air suspension kit. And with poor instructions, I'll eventually figure out installation--over time.

Next up is a TruCool transmission cooler. I think with 2 1/4" holes and one 1/2" hole, I can easily install it in 30 minutes. Best $150 insurance anyone can do to protect their transmission.

Another "easy" way to cure the squatting problem would be a set of Timbrens. Much easier to install than air bags and much less expensive. The drawback: They can't be easily adjusted for ride height except during the initial installation.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Tl1000r
    Check out firestone workrite , same as timbrin but cheaper .

I have a ford 1 ton with a short bed , I have a slider hitch to pull my 337 .

I have not needed to use it yet . But my logic is is better to have and not need , then to need and not have .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally would just use an Andersen 5th wheel hitch, cheaper and lighter than anything else on the market and takes the place of a slider.
    2014 Ram 2500 W / 6.7L diesel
    2014 303 RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehead View Post
    I personally would just use an Andersen 5th wheel hitch, cheaper and lighter than anything else on the market and takes the place of a slider.

I understand the "cheaper and lighter" thing. I do not get how the Anderson "takes the place of a slider". Care to explain?
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the air hitch that is a non slider that has four air bags and two shocks. They take out 90% of the chucking and banging you get from other hitches. Not just being good for my wife's bad back it is also better for the truck and trailer. Ran the numbers for the truck to the trailer and because of the length ford short beds are I didn't need the slider. So far so good.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a hard look at the Andersen hitch. There is about a 4" setback. I ended up with a goosebox. No hitch in the bed. Just a removable ball. I have been in some tight spots past 90 degress with no problem.
    John and Lisa
    2014 Solitude 369RL #1849
    2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast