User Tag List

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbarnes4868 View Post
    Beautiful models. I’m in Vegas staying at a RV resort for six weeks. Been to hot to fly. Only have room for a couple foamies.
    Wish we could come south. Stuck north of the 49th for the winter by the looks of it I'm not much for cold weather flying.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    This is the main reason we selected a Solitude 374TH. The garage works perfectly as my hanger.
    Nice models. I am very jealous. I have very little room for models in mine. If only I could tow my cargo trailer behind my Solitude but it is not possible living in New York. By the way I also attended Scale Masters. It was back in 2006 in Muncie IN.
    Best regards, Lou & Diane Cetrangelo, Saint James, NY
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyn2high View Post
    Horizon hobbies Apprentice. I don't recomend trying ot on your own unless you are very good with realflight and you can land on the runway every time.

A nice feature is that it has "Save Mode" with a flip of a switch it will quickly fly straight and level even if upside down. Also in beginner mode it wll not let the plane do extreme banks or pitch up or down more than about 10°. Most beginners tend to over control.

Horizon Hobbies are also pretty good with spare parts if you bang it up.

If you PM me I can give you a 10% discount code iI won't be using. Its good till the end of the year.
    Thanks. I'll take a look at that. Just curious how realistic realflight 8 is. Feels to me like its reasonable based on the bit of flying I did in Cessna 150 and 172 about 45 years ago. I'm normally don't crash in realflight unless I'm attempting 3d style aerobatics so hopefully I won't be too destructive when I do go ahead and transition to real rc models.

Fred

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fred:

Don’t get me wrong RealFlight is a great tool to learn. For fun years ago I made a plane more and more tail heavy and practiced landing. One day I was glad I developed the skill to do that. My son was 13 when we both first learned to fly. He got his full size pilots license when he was 16. He is 39 now. The simulators and computers were not as realistic as today. He was obsessed with the program. When it came time to fly the model for real (with an instructor) on the second flight he landed by himself. It took me months.

I have not touched realflight in a while but here are a few things I remember that you can change to make it more like real life and also make it harder for the sake of learning.

I know that realflight has and easy and advanced mode. In the easy mode the air is thick and the plane will react slow. Turn that off. Make it so that it is harder that real life.

The plane could be made nearly indestructible. Make it very easy to break.

There is no wind in easy mode. Turn the wind on with gusts and turbulence. Also have it 45 degrees to the runway to sharpen your skills.

Practice landing on the runway while coming down gently on the mains with out bouncing.

Turn off zoom. In real life the plane gets small when it is far away. It is possible to learn to fly a dot in realflight. It is a great skill to learn.

When I was learning my instructor had me look away and he put the plane in a crazy attitude and had me recover. See if you can do that on realflight by looking away and move the sticks then try and recover.

I found it helpful to set up real flight so that when you hit the reset button you are on an approach for landing. This way you can practice landing over and over with out wasting time.

The first time you fly make sure there is very light wind like less then 5 mph and also take off down the runway directly into the wind. Most trainers are white. It is very helpful to have a clear day. If it is overcast the white plane tends to disappear. Use a grass field it is more forgiving for small mishaps.

My previous club welcomed beginners and I was an instructor for many years. Some of problems I saw is that students have little trouble taking off and climbing out but when they make the first turn to come back and you have to move the stick left to go right I sometimes have to take over before they loose it. Once that is mastered the hardest skill is flaring on landing. Students will come in at a shallow angle but then never flair. They will land on the nose wheel and it will bend back or break off. The prop usually will suffer also. Try to simulate a landing while still being 20 feet up.

I see that Horizon has a mini apprentice that is RTF (ready to fly) and comes with everything including a transmitter for $250.
    Last edited by Flyn2high; 10-20-2020 at 07:17 AM.
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat | Dually | Diesel | 4x4 | Super Cab | 8' Bed | B&W Goose Ball
    2020 Solitude 310GK | Reese 20k Goosebox |1,550 Watts of Solar | Victron 3k Mutiplus II | 3 SOK 206 AH Batteries | Disk Brakes | MorRide IS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing i forgot to mention is that the first flight of any plane will require triming so it flies stright and level with hands off the sticks. Hopefully it won't need much but you should do that.

You can practice it in real flight by having somone screw up the trims and you fix it while it flies.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the detailed response. I had tweaked some of the settings when I first got realflight but had forgotten all about them since. I have adjusted wind a few times going so far as setting the wind high enough that the plane took off with application of elevator but not adding power. Becomes very difficult to control and land in those conditions. Will take a look at the options again.

I agree that reversal of controls depending on direction is difficult at first. Did more crashing than flying when I first started using RF8. I've gotten to the point that landings are not difficult so hopefully that will reduce crashes when using a real rc model.

Thx.

Fred

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all - I’ve been flying since the 70’s. On my bucket list is a trip to AMA headquarters in Muncie. I thought I heard long ago they have facilities for RVs. Anyone know if that’s still the case and/or recommendations for campsites in the area?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they do. In this blog post about the campground reopening there is a phone number listed.

https://amablog.modelaircraft.org/bl...ground-policy/

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been awhile since flying but still have most of my stuff, took the opposite side of hobby with single rotar....

My 550mm blade size

Pic of 800mm blade size I help setup for a local flyer. Just massive in size and width of my old 1/2 ton truck and makes mine also in pic look small.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added some plywood to my pickup with holes cut out for my gooseball. Now I can tie down some of my models without drilling holes for the bungee cleats. We are staying in southern Florida for the winter. Flying at Del Ray field.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201209_133934.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	31043

Sorry for sideways photo.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast