User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just us 2

Cable hook-up???

We are at a KOA and they have cable. I tried to hook up the cable but was unable to get it to work. In the control center ( water, grey tank area) it has 3 lines in . Cable, bedroom and living room. In the lower cabinet to the left inside there is a two coax cable plug with 1 cable hooked up. I tried every possible combo I could and ran set-up on the TV and still nothing. Our last 5th wheel had a button for cable. Is there a button or something I'm missing. BTW we are just down the street from the GD factory if someone is in the area. More on the factory later.

This is not an emergency, just wondering. we're here until Monday and have plenty of stations.

Thanks
    Just us 2

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our Solitude, we hook to the cable line and then have to turn off the the booster in the lower cabinet. That allows the tv to pick up the cable channels.
    Steve & Mary - Fairfax, VA
    2014 Solitude 305RE
    2011 Ford F-450 Lariat DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say what model you have. The one marked cable is for cable and the spliters are inside somewhere. The ones marked living room bedroom etc are for satellite. The one hooked up in the entertainment center is the cable to the tv. The other one is for a sat receiver. Behind the audio unit is the cable splitter with one line going to the Furion soud system and the other going to the back of that connector which goes to the tv. You may have a bad splitter or cable end. A couple of ours were dodgy.
    Nick and Nancy
    Abbotsford BC
    2011 Ram 3500
    2015 Reflection 303RLs

Just us 2
    Thanks. I'll re hook and try it again. Who knows , it could be the outlet at the park. or the Y but that gives me some place to look.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read the other day that Grand Design has quit using splitters. Obviously owners using satellite receivers were having problems with splitters. Their coax cables each go directly to the tv outlet.

I could see where some campers need to carry a couple of prepared coax cables and splitters. Maybe an A-B box may be needed.

RV manufacturers cannot permanently setup tv coax cables, as every owner has different needs in how the cables are run and linked together. You might need to visually follow where the coax cables come into the trailer and how they go to the individual outlet boxes next to the televisions.

Site Sponsor Long Island Happy Camper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be a button behind the TV for cable or booster. Only use the cable wire when hooking up. The others are for satellite. To make sure the campground cable is working temporarily take the wire from their box and plug it in directly to the TV. If you get picture then you know its the connection in the RV that's bad, if not you know it's a campground problem. I have 4 satellite boxes on my Momentum and love that each one has its own direct line. Last RV I had to install satellite hookups outside the RV to get my 3 satellite boxes functional.
    Jeff - Long Island - New York
    2014 Grand Design Momentum 385TH #5
    2011 Ford F-350 6.7 Duallie Golden Bronze Metallic
    Reese 20K Select Hitch
    TST flow through tire pressure monitor
    Firestone Ride Rite Air-Bags

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my Reflection 303 the booster is in the bedroom on the ceiling at the tv hookup. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Just us 2
    I lowered the antenna and turned off the booster and re ran the set-up. Finally the cable came in, not very good but cable anyway. We are addicted to NCIS so life is good. Thanks to all who replied.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey....just a thought but when u say u did the TV set up, did u switch the TV from
    'Air' to 'Cable'? I only ask because I once spent an hour fartin' around with one
    of the TVs before I realized I handn't switched the setting.
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may help you. ALL of the cable connections were loose on my Solitude 369RL and the worst was the booster behind the false wall where the TV was mounted. The hole in the wood panel was not cut large enough and was impeding the cable connector from making a proper connection. My satellite signal (all TV signals) was dropping out intermittently until I realized it was when the trailer moved due to wind, walking in the trailer, and even loud, TV sound. The connections were even loose at the splitters (one located in the belly under the theater seating and one behind the panel in the pass through storage.

So you might want to check all your connections starting with the easy ones at the wall plates for your cable connections. Remove the plate and ensure tight connection behind the wall plate.

Before checking the cable connections at the hard to get to places, I suggest, getting a long cable wire and connecting your TV directly to the cable or satellite feed outside the trailer to ensure that it is not your source or the TV. If the signal is still bad, then start checking behind the booster and any splitters used in your trailer.

If you are having trouble with only high definition (HD) signals, and you checked all the above, check that the RG6 cable is marked "swept to 3GHZ" meaning it is good for HD TV. Then check the cable/satellite connector on the wall plate. If the colour is white between the center pin and outer metal threads it is probably NOT HD compliant. Its supposed to be "blue" for HD. Then its just a matter of getting a HD barrel connector and trying to see if that solves the problem. My trailer had 3GHZ cables and white barrel connectors which I swapped out for the blue ones just in case (I already had them apart).
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast