User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What "type" of electricians work on travel trailers?

Hi all,

Couple of electrical issues that I'd like to have addressed, but local RV shop is backed up for next 2 months and would like to do it more quickly. Believe the issues are fairly straightforward (ensure trailer is grounded properly; diagnose whether electrical "event" over the winter affected any fuses or my board), so looking at contacting a "regular" electrician, but don't want to do anything stupid.

In your experience, have "regular" electricians been able to troubleshoot and fix electrical issues on travel trailers? Do you think a generic "electrician" search in the online yellow pages is sufficient? Or should I use some qualifiers in my search?

Thx in advance for your time!
    Dave Gaines
    Kentucky Gentleman Farmer
    1997 F-350 Quad Cab
    2020 Grand Design 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For sure

Rv dealers are actually quite inexperienced to fix most issues

An electrician
    A plumber
    A trailer shop
    All have more experience than a dealership would imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run all of your appliances and accessories and see if everything works. If it all checks out save your $$$. There's no reason to troubleshoot something that works. If you have anything that is inoperable, then approach that and see what's wrong.
    Bottom line... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A travel trailer has three electrical systems: 1) 120VAC "house" system (ACs, microwave, TV, electric for the HWH, heating elements for the RV fridge, converter/charger to charge the battery and supply 12VDC, and anything else you plug into the 120VAC outlets); 2) 12VDC "house" system (lighting, control voltage for the RV refrigerator and air conditioners, water pump, etc.), and 3) 12VDC automotive system for brakes, running lights, and such. A household "regular" electrician would be familiar with the 120VAC system, but not perhaps with the 12VDC systems. I have experience with, and am comfortable working on, just about everything electrical on an RV. If I weren't, though I would call a certified RV technician. I've used this tool several times with good success (for other issues):

http://rvservicereviews.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A travel trailer has three electrical systems: 1) 120VAC "house" system (ACs, microwave, TV, electric for the HWH, heating elements for the RV fridge, converter/charger to charge the battery and supply 12VDC, and anything else you plug into the 120VAC outlets); 2) 12VDC "house" system (lighting, control voltage for the RV refrigerator and air conditioners, water pump, etc.), and 3) 12VDC automotive system for brakes, running lights, and such. A household "regular" electrician would be familiar with the 120VAC system, but not perhaps with the 12VDC systems. I have experience with, and am comfortable working on, just about everything electrical on an RV. If I weren't, though I would call a certified RV technician. I've used this tool several times with good success (for other issues):

http://rvservicereviews.com/

Rob
    Ditto....I would use a dedicated RV service center or a mobile RV tech. I avoid RV dealers at all cost.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with @Second Chance and @DECelt.
    What are the issue that you are experiencing? Maybe we can guide you. There's lots of knowledge and experience on here.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    I agree with @Second Chance and @DECelt.
    What are the issue that you are experiencing? Maybe we can guide you. There's lots of knowledge and experience on here.
    Hi Steph & Lisa, agree with the depth of knowledge here, it's the best forum I've ever been part of.

So ... over the winter, we were staying at a friend's with unreliable power, so much so that our power would cycle on and off due to surge protector tripping. I therefore removed the surge protector, and after some time, loud noise in cabinet where fuse box is, followed by small cloud of white smoke that was fairly odorless (didn't smell like "electrical smoke"). Cursed myself and my friend, reinstalled surge protector and went to check damage. Didn't find any blown fuses and only inop appliance was the washing machine so had yacht service center (was in Florida at the time) service the washer, whereupon he found an internal component had blown (forget the exact component, but made sense at the time). He also pointed out that my trailer is not properly grounded and that I should look into it. In my mind, that explained perhaps why my kitchen/dining area GFI would trip from time to time.

Bottom line, need someone to check the trailer grounding, inspect the back of the fuse box and inside the cabinet to see what caused the cloud of smoke, and then also quote putting in a hard wired surge protector and possibly soft start A/C capability. Thx for reaching out, looking forward to folks' thoughts. I have basic electrical skills, but not super confident about doing more advanced stuff.
    Dave Gaines
    1997 F-350 Quad Cab

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recreational vehicle has the hot, neutral, and protective ground connections just like your home. But unlike your home, the RV has no permanent ground connection. I wonder if the guy from the yacht service understands this. You didn't mention that it's not, so I assume your converter/charger is still working (charging the battery, providing 12VDC to lighting, etc.)?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    A recreational vehicle has the hot, neutral, and protective ground connections just like your home. But unlike your home, the RV has no permanent ground connection. I wonder if the guy from the yacht service understands this. You didn't mention that it's not, so I assume your converter/charger is still working (charging the battery, providing 12VDC to lighting, etc.)?

Rob
    Hi Rob, yes in terms of all systems being functional. Idk if it's worth researching the supposed grounding issue and cloud of smoke, just thought it would be prudent. But as one of our fell forum members stated, maybe leave well enough alone?
    Dave Gaines
    1997 F-350 Quad Cab

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Gentleman Farmer View Post
    Hi Rob, yes in terms of all systems being functional. Idk if it's worth researching the supposed grounding issue and cloud of smoke, just thought it would be prudent. But as one of our fell forum members stated, maybe leave well enough alone?
    I can't imagine what the non-electrical smoke was if everything is still working and you can't find any signs of burning or scorching...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast