User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first upgrade on my new 2800BH will be a hide-a-spare - I think

I read a couple of older threads in the imagine area regarding the hide-a-spare from BAL and think it is the way to go. From what I can tell I need the BAL Model 28218 (B) described as 68" to 75" frame width, Underslung mount for
    trailers with enclosed underbelly. They also have a retract-a-spare that looks interesting Model 28240.
    Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Hide-a-Spare under our 2650. But - our trailer has 2" X 2" square tubing welded to the underside of the frame that extends past the rear axle. I used the 28216 mount for a "C"-channel frame and used 3/8" self tapping bolts to secure it to the square tubing. And be sure to mount it so the spare dismounts from the curb side, you don't want to be trying to pull it out into traffic.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of one side:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1926_zpsqdjvxusv.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	16501
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    I put a Hide-a-Spare under our 2650. But - our trailer has 2" X 2" square tubing welded to the underside of the frame that extends past the rear axle. I used the 28216 mount for a "C"-channel frame and used 3/8" self tapping bolts to secure it to the square tubing. And be sure to mount it so the spare dismounts from the curb side, you don't want to be trying to pull it out into traffic.
    I guess the one "big" negative is the reduced clearance, hence mounting it as close as possible to the rear of the tires. Appreciate the comment about making sure it pulls out on the passenger side (plus you can do it in the shade of the awning on a hot summer day).

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My son had one of these on his travel trailer for many years. It wasn't a problem with clearance at all. One suggestion is to pull out the tire once or twice a year and lubricate all the moving parts. He had quite a bit of rust and it made it difficult to operate when he needed it.

Jim

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the clearance issue, I suspect it doesn't drop down much more than the steps on my 2800BH. One motivation for this was to offload the weight of the spare to provide some "space" for a receiver hitch and bike carrier like I had on my previous trailer. The 4x4 bumper is only rated for 150 pounds. And, yes, I am aware of other issues such as the bouncing introducing additional wear and tear on the bumper. I did have some supports on my bumper on my previous trailer and removed them prior to trade-in. But the bumper mount is different on the 2800 and not sure if these supports would help with my new trailer. Might look into someone welding up a receiver hitch to my Grand Design.
    In any event, I still like the clean look of the spare tire off of the bumper.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ground clearance hasn't been an issue. I have 2 boxes mounted on the bumper, one for wheel chocks / leveling blocks and the other for a Honda 2000 generator. I mounted the spare tire with the air valve down so it's easier to check the air pressure w/o dropping the spare.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    while looking at my trailer. Not sure how I would mount the hide-a-spare. In front of the wheels is right under the fresh water drain. Right behind the wheels are the rear steps. Maybe right behind the steps. I am guessing the c-channel/z-channel mount would be the appropriate. Also looking into have a trailer hitch mounted on the frame to provide bicycle rack carrying capacity. Existing bumper limit is 150 pounds.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im thinking about getting one of these for my 2018 351M. I may need to call BAL to see what one i need to order.
    Jeff & Dawn
    2014 Ram 3500HD DRW
    2018 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have not followed through with it for my trailer. Want to, but don't really see how it would work under mine with all of the "stuff" under it to contend with.
    2022 Imagine 3250
    2021 f250 fx4 7.3
    2016 Harley Ultra Limited
    1971 F100 Flareside (project)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast