User Tag List

Thread: Tire Wear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tire Wear

Purchased my Grand Design Reflection Travel Trailer (312BHTS) in January 2018 and currently have 8,000 miles on the tires/trailer. Rear tires wearing excessively on inside only. Anyone else having this issue and what was the problem and subsequent fix.

Bill Bunting

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. I had one tire on the rear of my trailer with the same wear you're having. The diagnosis was a bent axle spindle. I had to replace the axle. I was out of warranty, so I had to do it myself. Since you're quickly approaching the end of your one year warranty, it's important to get the process started for any warranty repairs. I'd call Grand Design at 574-825-9679 and let them document the problem you're having before the warranty is up.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buntingwg View Post
    Purchased my Grand Design Reflection Travel Trailer (312BHTS) in January 2018 and currently have 8,000 miles on the tires/trailer. Rear tires wearing excessively on inside only. Anyone else having this issue and what was the problem and subsequent fix.

Bill Bunting
    Hi Bill,

Tire wear as you describe is indicative of an axle that was either manufactured incorrectly or is bent. The axle tube should have a slight upward bow at its center. Most RV dealers do not have the alignment equipment to measure toe in and camber. Look for a truck/trailer repair facility that has alignment measuring equipment. Since you have one axle where the tires are wearing correctly, you have a readily available reference for what is right. You repair options are having the axle bent or replaced. If the alignment problem looks to be from incorrect manufacturing (and this is not unheard of) make sure you talk to GDRV about this for warranty coverage.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the quick response. I contacted a Grand Design authorized service center today and have an appointment when we reach our final destination in a couple days. I will contact GDRV to make them aware of the issue ahead of the service center visit and to document while under warranty.

Bill