User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, the springs sure are 2" wide and etrailer sure does list them as 1-3/4". Re-reading this thread I see mention of the 2" wide springs. Between the ubolt lengths, double checking axle diameter, space around the slipper box, the bolt hole location on the center hanger, and spring length I must have got it in my head the specs the website were accurate (how dumb of me). I've emailed Roadmaster asking for their input, can't say I'd want to bend the hangers though I also can't say I'd want to grind off and weld on new hangers either.

Michael, did you happen to measure your hanger width?
    Pete
    2021 Imagine 2910 BH (Beauty)
    2019 F350 SRW Diesel Crew Cab (Beast)
    Previous TV was 2020 F150 3.5L. Still rocking the ProPride hitch..

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry if this is just me replying to myself (the new equivalent to talking to yourself?). I heard back from Roadmaster today and they indicated I must have gotten old stock from etrailer as their new systems use 1-3/4" wide springs. Another difference I pieced together between last night and today is that my kit doesn't have the wearpads but instead just some roller pins. I asked about that as well and the response is that the new set uses wearpads which won't fix on the old design.

I'm now left pondering why they changed the design? Did they actually somehow improve the performance by going to 1-3/4" springs and wearpads? Or did they realize more trailers are using narrower hangers and had to "cheap out" a bit on the design so they are compatible with a larger set of trailers? I emailed etrailer to see if I could swap the springs but after finding out about the wearpads I'm thinking I'd have to swap the entire kit. My guess is it will turn into an argument over shipping costs but I'm still not sure I want to tackle grinding off the existing hangers and replacing them. It also raises the question about the long term, will I be able to find 2" slipper springs if I need to replacements...

I feel like I'm getting to the point where I could have just created my own slipper spring setup with parts and setup both to be trailing edge like folks were saying would be the ideal config earlier in this post. Guh!!!
    Last edited by callagp7552; 03-08-2022 at 06:22 PM.
    Pete

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete,

I measured my hangers at 1 11/16.

Michael

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty close to an 1 3/4".
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    11 is sooo much bigger than 3

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL New math?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete, any updates?

I'm considering getting just the shocks this year as I've blown a lot of the RV budget on other maintenance.
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    2021 RAM 1500 5.7 etorque w/ 3.92
    JC Refrigeration 12v retrofit 'cuz 3deg means 3deg even during the first 90 days

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately nothing helpful.. I've largely been emailing Etrailer's customer support and it can take days to get a reply. At this point I know they want me to send both the springs and shocks back but I'm waiting on a shipping label. They are also checking their warehouse to see if they have any of the "new" stock. Roadmaster couldn't tell me when they started shipping this new version so I largely left twiddling my thumbs with the weather improving by the day here.

I'm also still wondering where Roadmaster was able to source 1-3/4 slipper springs with a 2500lb capacity. I've searched around and have not been able to find anyone selling one. That makes me a little worrisome about any future replacement. I too am pushing the budget on this and the extra cost plus time and effort of swapping out the hangers ultimately dissuaded me from going that route, but I feel like for this system that's probably the way to go.

I'll update again once I know finally get an answer from etrailer.
    Pete

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure everyone has moved on but figured pot odds at this point so here is one last update on what I feel is noteworthy:

Etrailer did eventually get me the "new" version which had 1-3/4" springs. The rest of the design is largely the same with the exception of a wearpad vs a roller pin that the top of the spring pushes on. The main slipper box is still designed to fit over a 2" hanger so I ended up adding 2, 1/8" metal shims to either side of the center hanger to fill the space. Kind of a pain to get everything lined up but on well just had to do it once.

To mount the slipper box I drilled 3/8" holes and used some grade 5 bolts instead of the self tapping ones it comes with. Didn't really take any longer to install since you have to drill the pilot holes for the self tappers anyway and I'm certain it's more securely attached now.

I have around 4k miles on the trailer over the course of 2 years and I fully expected to find the nylon bushing had been completely ground up. Every single one was still intact and while showing signs of wear none were as bad as all the videos I've seen.

I was able to reuse the ubolts so I guess I have spares of those since I bought them back in Feb when I initially purchased the everything.

I lifted the entire RV using 2 floor jacks (in front and behind the axles jacking on the frame one side at a time. I originally planed on just lifting one side but I'm confident it was easier to manipulate the axles without one side of the RV resting on them.

Haven't hauled it anywhere yet, just drove around a bit after installing it. Initial observations are that the suspension is stiffer now, guessing due to the springs being new. I'll get a real towing test in next weekend when we head out for Memorial day.

Took just a few pics during the process (https://photos.app.goo.gl/wBUWKkaQK3Xx2wgU7)
    Pete

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't actually read this so as to support your assumption. Awaiting your post-Memorial Day report .
    2021 Imagine 2910BH
    2021 RAM 1500 5.7 etorque w/ 3.92
    JC Refrigeration 12v retrofit 'cuz 3deg means 3deg even during the first 90 days

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast