Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
I really don't want to give up my F-150. I love it. I traded in a 2005 ram crew cab and the difference is night and day. I had tons of problems with the dodge and between issues with the truck and the local dealers, they'll never get a dime of my money again. At the time I had a second kid on the way, and the ford cab was the only one that let us do 2 rear facing seats. If we didn't want a travel trailer over 5000 pounds I'd be keeping it and putting another 70,000-100,000 miles on it before I even think about a new one. While not using it for work, I probably use it as a truck more than the average joe.

Honestly, I know it would tow a 2400BH or its competitors, but I work in a field where weight is critical (hence the "pilot" in my screen name), and I can't in good conscious put my family in the truck knowing I'll be over one of those posted numbers. Put me in the weight police category. I'm cool with it.
pilotpip - I know we have had another discussion on the capabilities of the F150 . . . but I can certainly understand your situation . . . particularly with young kids and all their “stuff” to bring with you. If upsizing your truck is what you decide to do, I think the first decision is whether you will stay gas or go diesel. If you stay gas, a 3/4 ton will have about 3000 lbs of payload. More than enough and lots of selection on dealers lots to help you negotiate a good deal. If you go diesel, I second the recommendations here to consider a one ton. Because of the weight of the diesel powertrain, a 3/4 ton ends up with only about 2200 lbs of payload. Way out of proportion for what the diesel can pull. A one ton diesel will have about 3500 lbs of payload.

Since you have the F150, it would be interesting to try towing your new trailer with it, before making the decision to get a bigger truck. The F150 might surprise you .

Rob