Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you seen the Fir ? thermal camera that uses you smart phone? I see you have skirting, I just tried an experiment today, I spray foamed the frame rails of our Solitude 310GK. I basically sprayed everything underneath that looked like it would help including the metal end cap of the drop frame. My theory is that the frame rails are a huge heat sink of cold. The furnace tries to overcome this heat sink with warm air, but really has no chance. If this works, the holding tanks should be warmer and so should the main floor. If it doesn't work, I should get an A for effort. If I could figure out how to post pictures here I would post what it looks like. We will try it out this coming week in Belgrade, Montana. Here is Worland, Wy it has been -5 for the last 5 nghts and hasn't made it to freezing during the day. Last trip to Bozeman, we were burning 4 gallons of propane a day. We were using on board water and running a hose to fill the tank when we needed more.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gordo, from what I have found thermal cameras run around $350.

Nuffsaid, I saw an android phone add on thermal camera for $180. We finished putting the therma-slide covers up today and ordered a second 40# propane tank, gives me 2 30's and 2 40's. Take me about 1/2 hour to get them filled. The SLC Amerigas folks have been ridiculous. We will not be getting a big tank from them.

Interesting theory about the heat sink. Keep us posted on your observations.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several weeks ago when we were in Belgrade, MT it snowed about 4 inches and the lows were in the low teens. We had a little trouble keeping the inside of the trailer above 65 degrees with the furnace and the fireplace. I found and repaired some drafts, adjusted the slides and it was a little better. I took my infrared thermometer and measured temps around the outside of the trailer. Ambient temp was about 21 when I did this and the frame rails were 32. At one point where a hydraulic ram penetrates the belly, I got a reading of 45. So, this tells me that heat is entering the belly, but not at a rate great enough to actually warm it up. Too much cold air coming from the frame rails and penetrations in the frame. I closed up 95 % of the holes in the frame rails, so I expect a big improvement. Given enough time, heat below the floor should warm the floor also considering the aluminum floor joists. I am hopeful anyway.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nuffsaid, as per the sister thread, every little bit helps.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a camera that I got for free. I like it. I have looked at the inside of both my 5th's and it is leaky. You can see all structural components in the wall. I had 8 hours of training at work to be able to use the camera but I am not qualified to interpret the results. You can find interesting stuff like my hot water line is 4 degrees warmer than the cold line after sitting overnight. I use it to check wheel bearing temp hoping I can catch a failure before it gets too bad. Advert on craigslist to borrow/rent one. There are people that you can hire.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aluminum is an awesome conductor of heat. Every structural piece in a laminated wall, where there is a stud, it is almost like a direct heat sink to the outside.

Looks awesome, enjoy the skiing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12