User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life

Jmrtxfb
    Is there a place to set a 2nd battery? Is there wiring for a 2nd battery? Would it have to be dealer installed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmrtxfb View Post
    Is there a place to set a 2nd battery? Is there wiring for a 2nd battery? Would it have to be dealer installed?
    1. There should be plenty of room to mount a second battery/box along side the existing one.
    2. I doubt there is pre existing cables for a second battery. They would have to be added. Not a big deal.
    3. Your dealer should certainly be able to install and wire it. If you have the time, some knowhow on basic wiring and the proper tools, you could purchase the battery, battery box and cables then DIY to save a few bucks.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

DennisK
    My dealer installed a second battery without me asking. Yes there is room, not sure about the cabling but I gotta think that if it were cumbersome or expensive, it would not be done for free.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I will be shopping for a deep cycle AGM battery to add to what already exists. We don't dry camp often yet, but when we do I want to be prepared. Thanks one and all for the information. This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy this forum. Questions can be asked and information shared in the friendliest manner.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dloase View Post
    Yes I will be shopping for a deep cycle AGM battery to add to what already exists. We don't dry camp often yet, but when we do I want to be prepared. Thanks one and all for the information. This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy this forum. Questions can be asked and information shared in the friendliest manner.
    Do your research before adding an AGM battery alongside a Flooded Lead Acid. I have always read that it is not a good idea to mix battery chemistry. They take slightly different charging parameters.

Just my $0.01 worth.

George
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a credit from my dealer for the original battery and installed two 6V golf cart batteries myself.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webpilot, I have heard the same things. I will be replacing the flooded battery with another ACM at the same time. I had thought about going with 4 six volts hooked in series/parallel configuration, but I thing the two 12's will do nicely for what dry camping we will do.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just installed 2 6 volts myself and it was fairly easy. The only wire I had to add was the one connecting the two batteries, cables from original battery reached. Kept the original battery in place for back-up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not install an AGM battery with a lead acid battery! It's not even recommended to add a battery to existing batteries of the same type. The batteries will "fight" each other due to the difference in characteristics and will surely lead to early failure and may even cause problems from the start.

I have a similar problem. I installed a 12V AGM battery and I want to add to it. I should have put 4 6V AGM batteries but didn't think of it. Now I can only add a 12V AGM of the same size from the same company. It's not even recommend but its fairly new so it should be ok (I hope). If I want to put 4 x 6V AGM's, I have to "scrap" the existing AGM battery (sell it or put it in my wife's car) and start over.

I suggest the same for you. Only add another battery from the same company of exactly the same size or start over.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPS® Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

BBJonbo
    We just completed our maiden voyage with our new 303RLS. It just so happened that where we were in the mountains we had to dry camp. I have 2 27R deep cycle batteries. Temperatures dropped to 45F at night but back up to 65F during the day. The 2 batteries didn't last even 48 hours. Had to run our Honda E2000 generator to charge the batteries. From that point onwards, we tried to have only a single light on and tried to use one of the led options and totally minimize our battery usage. Rules of the campground limited us to 3.5 hours generator time per day. I had to set an alarm and run our generator the remaining 4 days for the full 3.5 hours just to get through the trip. The furnace was only on from about 9pm to 8am but of course there was also the fridge. As well, we had the water heater on all the time but not sure that uses much power.

I don't understand with 2 deep cycle batteries why we have to charge every day. We were actually limited to 8:00am to 9:30am and 5pm to 7pm. We shut off the furnace at 8am and the 1.5 hours of generator time would get us to about 12.4volts. With no lights, no furnace, fridge on (realize fans chew up power) and h/w tank both batteries would almost be dead by 5pm. Charging for 2 hours between 5pm-7pm, if we turned on our furnace at 7pm we couldn't make it to 8am the next morning before the furnace would no longer work and the fridge stopped working. Had to turn furnace on after 9pm to make it to 8am.

There really wasn't anything more we could think of to reduce our power usage. Did not use any outdoor lights, kept lights inside to a single unit, limited furnace usage, never used the stereo, did not use any of the 3 fantastic fans we had installed and even used the campground toilet as often as possible to reduce water pump usage. I have never had to do so much to try and get through a single day with 2 deep cycle batteries. Power drain seems just crazy and having to run the generator for 3.5 hours each day just to get through the day seems abnormal.

I will take it back to the dealer but suspect they won't find anything out of the ordinary although I believe our battery drain is not typical.

Would appreciate and comments or suggestions as we may not be able to dry camp with our new 303RLS with the battery drain we are experiencing. Trying to use one light only and preferably one of the led ones, trying not to use the toilet to reduce water pump usage, not using any fans, restricting furnace use to bare minimum is not the greatest way to enjoy our new 303.

Does anyone else think this is abnormal and that something must be wrong with something drawing far too much power?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast