User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced the bedroom register with an ajustable one and closed it off. It still leaves some air flow and does up the flow to the garage. I was worried about the furnace air flow switch, but seems to be doing fine.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    2019 Momentum 351M, 2021 Ford F350
    Toys for the Toyhauler
    2006 Honda ST1300, 2005 Honda Rancher, 2000 Suzuki DR650, 2014 Polaris XP1000 SXS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nbsproducts View Post
    Hi Ken
    I double checked my measurments and at the air box for the duct running to the bedroom is 175 deg F, and at the storage vent about 6 feet away is 169 deg F. When I mounted the inline fan about 3 feet away from the 200 deg port, in 5 min. it started to worp where the fan blades started to rattle againt the fan housing. I don't have room to move the fan any futher than that. I researched an found a $200 dryer fan and called the factory for info on my purpose and here is the quote from them.
    Hello,
    I'm sure your furnace gets much too hot for this. The heat limit is about 150 degrees F. Thanks for thinking of us.

Chuck Levine
    [email protected]

So back to the drawing board.
    Joe
    My 398M needs some heat help in the garage as well.
    The existing garage vent blows 150 degrees. I found a booster fan at Lowes rated for 158.
    I could mount it under the kitchen sink just before the vent. It might work.

I have a couple of other ideas to try first though.
    I think it may be posible that the duct outlets on the furnace air box may blow hot air at different rates of flow due to their placement relative to the blower. I plan on removing all of the 4" ducts from the box and checking on this... It may be as simple as switching the highest flowing outlet to the garage duct. I havent't figured out how to measure the flow though. I am hoping it is obvious just by feel.

Another option would be to take the living room duct also under the kitchen sink use it for a second heat vent into the garage. This should double the heat going into the garage.
    Last edited by huntindog; 11-12-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    My 398M needs some heat help in the garage as well.
    The existing garage vent blows 150 degrees. I found a booster fan at Lowes rated for 158.
    I could mount it under the kitchen sink just before the vent. It might work.

I have a couple of other ideas to try first though.
    I think it may be posible that the duct outlets on the furnace air box may blow hot air at different rates of flow due to their placement relative to the blower. I plan on removing all of the 4" ducts from the box and checking on this... It may be as simple as switching the highest flowing outlet to the garage duct. I havent't figured out how to measure the flow though. I am hoping it is obvious just by feel.

Another option would be to take the living room duct also under the kitchen sink use it for a second heat vent into the garage. This should double the heat going into the garage.
    This will be great to follow.

Check out some of these for you velocity:

https://www.amazon.com/Anemometers/b...ode=3206432011
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    This will be great to follow.

Check out some of these for you velocity:

https://www.amazon.com/Anemometers/b...ode=3206432011
    Thankyou for the link. I did buy one, and did the test yesterday. Neat toy. My heater box had 3 of the large 4 " outlets and two 2" outlets.
    The 4" outlets are vertically aligned. The bottom one has 14 MPH flow, the middle 27MPH and the top 13 MPH. The bottom and middle ducts both fed the main trunk line that ends at the garage. So it was already hooked up the best way possible. So much for that idea. (However the info on different flow rates may heip someone else)
    So idea #2 is underway, The heat vent from the kitchen sink cabinents currently heats the couch area. It is not needed as the island also has heat vents heating the same area. So I pulled all of the drawers out of the sink cabinent and found that it will be easy move the sink cabinent/couch vent into the front wall of the gararge. It will end up directly above the current garage vent. I used my meter to measure the flow, and this will double the heat flow into the garage. I think it will make a noticeable improvement. Other than drilling another hole in the garage wall and adding the vent(the current sink vent will be left in place as a dummy vent) the only mod needed is to shorten the bottom drawer in the sink cabinent about 5-6" to allow clearance for repositioning the duct into the garage. That being the bottom drawer, it wasn't used much anyway. I just gotta wait for the 4.25" hole saw I ordered to arrive.
    I am pretty happy with this plan as it will look good and has to be better than it is now

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have made a helluva an improvement, and quite possibly fixed it.
    The first thing I did was to use anemometer to measure the flow at each vent. The single garage vent was about 4MPH in stock configuration.
    I then took the living room sink cabinent vent and rerouted it to the garage. This actually improved it's flow a lot, as it eliminated a bend in its duct., then I partialy restricted the airflow going to the island vents Then I took some more readings. It then had 7.1MPH in each of the two vents in the garage, and all other vents including the bedroom/bathroom flowed less. This was encouaging as it appeared that restricting flow was in fact shifting airflow to the garage without reducing the furnace airflow thru the heat chamber. So I restricted the island vents some more. I finished with the gararge having both vents at 9.4MPH. This was a more than fourfold increase in garage airflow, with all other vents showing reduced flow...And dead even room temps in all 3 zones

I am really happy with the results and looking forward to our next cold camping trip. I believe that this is a game changer.
    Last edited by huntindog; 01-08-2022 at 05:57 PM.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds great, come on over.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an idea for your dryer vent blower. It is not quite fleshed out yet, and I don't think I will need that now.
    I was thinking of getting one and using it as a portable heater, to be used only when needed. Would have to figure out a way to connect it to the vent sorta like a vacum cleaner hose. One could position it just where it is needed. Probably have to make some kind of stand for it. The temps would be low enough after the long run from the furnace... It is not an elegant solution, but I think it would work

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Well I have made a helluva an improvement, and quite possibly fixed it.
    The first thing I did was to use anemometer to measure the flow at each vent. The single garage vent was about 4MPH in stock configuration.
    I then took the living room sink cabinent vent and rerouted it to the garage. This actually improved it's flow a lot, as it eliminated a bend in its duct., then I partialy restricted the airflow going to the island vents Then I took some more readings. It then had 7.1MPH in each of the two vents in the garage, and all other vents including the bedroom/bathroom flowed less. This was encouaging as it appeared that restricting flow was in fact shifting airflow to the garage without reducing the furnace airflow thru the heat chamber. So I restricted the island vents some more. I finished with the gararge having both vents at 9.4MPH. This was a more than fourfold increase in garage airflow, with all other vents showing reduced flow...And dead even room temps in all 3 zones

I am really happy with the results and looking forward to our next cold camping trip. I believe that this is a game changer.
    Gonna be in Southern California anytime soon? LOL
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123