Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mattress Change Needed . . .

When we ordered our 305RE Solitude, we opted for the King Bed. We spent two nights on the mattress which to us was very uncomfortable. We have been looking online for another mattress (70X80) and we are finding it impossible to find a HIGH QUALITY mattress with those exact dimensions.

We have been thinking of going back to the Queen Bed (60X80) since it is a standard bed size. However, we thought we’d try and post our concern here to see if anyone had a lead on where to obtain a HIGH QUALITY innerspring mattress – which I have not been able to find.

We had a Sealy Posturepedic in other 5th wheel which we slept comfortably on. If we have to go back to the Queen Size, we’ll more than likely opt for a Sterns & Foster Luxury Firm which is what we sleep on at home. ~Al
    Al & Laurie -- Brainerd, MN
    2010 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.4 Diesel
    2015 Grand Design -- Solitude 305RE #2506

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to bedinabox.com they use to make them to fit your RV size. Give them a call.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my wife a 11" gel style memory foam mattress and a Leggett & Platt adjustable bed frame for home at Bed in A Box. It's a great company to do business with and their prices are very reasonable.

Most of the new beds appear to be going toward memory foam or a conventional coil/memory foam hybrid mattress. Of course some buy the air bed/memory foam beds, but the prices are out of sight.

I have a 3" memory foam topper that's going on our queen bed in our new Solitude. It can make a rock hard mattress sleep really great.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on the memory foam! We purchased one for our king sized bed in our last RV and cut it down for our queen size in our Solitude. I sleep like a baby on it and I'm pretty particular about mattress comfort.

There is a thread below this one about memory foam toppers. For a hundred bucks at SAMs Club or Costco, it's the best value spend you'll make.

-Scott
    Scott and Lois-South Jordan, UT
    2014 Solitude 379FL #1467
    2011 F350 Crew Cab

Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    We ended up with 2 foam toppers, but it really made a difference!
    Ct..
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased a king sleep number bed from Camping World during one of their "sales", and we absolutely love it! It has rounded corners at the end and fits perfectly. We slept on the original mattress about 5 times and said oh no, this has got to go!
    Jeff & Cathy K - Dayton, NV
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 384GK #TBD
    2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD 4x4 SRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on the mattress topper we bought the gel topper from Costco and couldn't be happier, only bad thing is if you are traveling in cold weather when you stop for the night the thing is hard as a rock until the rv warms up
    John & Caren
    2014 Solitude 369RL #331
    2005 Dodge 3500 Quad Cab Cummins & manual 6 speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    x2 on the mattress topper we bought the gel topper from Costco and couldn't be happier, only bad thing is if you are traveling in cold weather when you stop for the night the thing is hard as a rock until the rv warms up
    Electric blanket saves the day. We put ours on (cremate errr high) just after dinner, or a bit earlier depending on how cold soaked the trailer is. By bedtime it's nice and toasty especially if you have, as our friend from Mississippi used to call it, Ice People Butt. You know that cold bottom you get sitting around a campfire in cold weather.
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tried the 3 inch thick topper from Costco for a while and, after some time, it just didn't do the job we were looking for. It was the mattress that was the problem. We returned the topper (good ole Costco) and got the 14 inch thick memory foam mattress (also from Costco and made by the same company as the topper). It's a standard king, which makes it 6 inches wider but it still fit (tightly). WOW! What a difference! We put a heated mattress cover on it with dual controls. Wifey like it really warm. Me, not so much. Works awesome for our needs.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We've been sleeping on our mattress for 60+ days now, and it's just about to the end of it's life. Even though we're using two toppers, the mattress itself is forming deep pockets from our body weight. I'm a small guy, so I can only imagine how bad it must be for some larger folks. I wake up every morning now with a back ache. You can rotate the mattress 180 degrees, but you can't flip it because of the way it's built. Even though we've rotated it, it's still sinking (compressing). I sure wish GD had gone with a better quality mattress.

So I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase a new queen sized mattress to replace ours. I'd sure like to hear what kinds of mattresses you are all purchasing, and how they are working out for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast