User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    That's got to help a bit on the huge heat / cold sink.

Does the spray foam stick good enough to not let moisture behind it?
    Hopefully it is stuck pretty good. I cleaned the painted surface with a green scotch brite and for the most part it seems to have stuck very well. When I was getting ready to spray, I had the trailer in a heated shop, water was dripping off of the roof from snow melting, I had the bottles in front of an electric heater to get the temperature above 75 degrees. All went well, except I forgot to agitate the bottles before I started spraying. Between my respirator and tyvek suit, and planning not to stop spraying for more than 30 seconds to conserve spray tips, I forgot the agitating part. Didn't seem to have any negative effects until I got to the end of spraying when the color changed a little. Still seemed to cure ok. This is a closed cell foam, so it should help block out moisture. I might try spraying undercoating over it for protection from UV.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I'm very interested in your results. I took a different route on my 315RLTS. I used reflectix insulation material on the inside of the frame rails.

I'm not a real tech savvy guy but find posting pictures here so easy a caveman could do it. In the toolbar at the top of reply screen, third from the right is "insert image". Click on it, select "from computer tab, click on "browse", find your picture, double click on it. When the file number (jpegxxx) shows in the little window, click upload and done.

Attachment 16684
    It worked!
    We'd like to see your pics but I don't and won't do facecrook.
    How well has the reflectex worked on the inside of the frame rails? This is a good choice also, but more time consuming to remove the belly pan. Does the Reflection have insulation above the coroplast?
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Looks good, def curious how it works out. Have you considered painting it or are you going to leave it that color? I imagine it will get pretty dirty after driving with it over time. I suppose doing the outside vice the inside saved a lot of time and effort, it's probably the same effect in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    One reason I opted to spray the outside of the frame rails is that the inside of the frame rails will absorb heat and will not reject the heat to the outside, so it should hold the heat longer once warmed up. I don't know how much help this will be, but the themal mass of the frame rails should stay warm for quite a while. I live in a log home and once the logs are warmed up, they stay warm for a long time. My wife will be staying in the 310 for several weeks, hopefully this helps enough to cut down on propane use. I will set her up with two 100 lb bottles just in case though.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    How well has the reflectex worked on the inside of the frame rails? This is a good choice also, but more time consuming to remove the belly pan. Does the Reflection have insulation above the coroplast?
    Seems to work ok. We don't camp in real cold temps. Been down to mid 20's, no freezing issues.

I dropped the coroplast because when I was exploring for a plumbing leak and saw what a freaking mess was under there from the factory, I couldn't stand it. I'm an electrician, the wiring made me cringe. The foil insulating membrane was just thrown in there. Crushed ducts. I just pulled it down and went to town.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    One reason I opted to spray the outside of the frame rails is that the inside of the frame rails will absorb heat and will not reject the heat to the outside, so it should hold the heat longer once warmed up. I don't know how much help this will be, but the themal mass of the frame rails should stay warm for quite a while. I live in a log home and once the logs are warmed up, they stay warm for a long time. My wife will be staying in the 310 for several weeks, hopefully this helps enough to cut down on propane use. I will set her up with two 100 lb bottles just in case though.
    That makes sense, it def goes along with the theory of the frame rails being a heat sink. I hope it works out, I'm always interested in ways to keep the floor warmer in the winter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did you use open or closed cell foam. Hopefully the latter as open cell will UV degrade fast (turn brown and become brittle) and hold water. A possible solution is to paint the outside (spray gun) with something compatible - probably a latex paint.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Did you use open or closed cell foam. Hopefully the latter as open cell will UV degrade fast (turn brown and become brittle) and hold water. A possible solution is to paint the outside (spray gun) with something compatible - probably a latex paint.

Hope this helps
    The product is made by Dow and is a closed cell foam. It still needs a coating to protect from uv.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are testing the new foam in Belgrade, MT right now. Last night was 10 degrees and the trailer seemed to stay warmer than it did on Thanksgiving when we were here last. The heater seemed to run almost non stop last night, but based on temp gun readings the floor isn't bad. I took readings all over the floor and the cold spots are right next to the slide out junctions that average 10 degrees colder than the rest of the floor. Windows are still an issue with the foil faced bubble wrap. Drafts can be felt at the bottom of the windows where the cold air settles. Maybe I should velcro the bottoms. On average the area around the bottom of the windows was 45-50 degrees with the rest of the interior close to 65. Slide out exterior walls were also in the 50 degree range. I have all the holding tank heaters on. Storage area feels warm, but I didn't measure the temp. I still think the furnace in the 310GK is under sized for cold weather. I have two 100 lb bottles hooked up for use until Christmas. Hopefully they last that long. I forgot to bring a thermometer with a remote lead with me to try and measure the temp in the belly, but it has to be a whole lot warmer than before with the spray foam and most of the holes sealed up 95 percent more than when I started.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14 degrees this morning, no issues with anything being frozen down below, so that is a good thing. Temperatures in trailer: Trying to maintain 70 degrees. Bedroom around 60 with door closed. Slide out floor around 45-50 degrees. Main floor around 62 degrees. Below windows about 45-50 degrees. Lots of cold air can be felt traveling down the bubble wrap and coming out the bottom of the window. Not very effective in my opinion. Sealing the bottom of the bubble wrap might help. Metal part of step that sits inside of the trailer averages about 45 degrees. Floor underneath rear couch 45-50 degrees. Looks like cold air from windows is settling on floor areas. Fact that heater vents are not in the floor contribute to a colder floor. Work in progress. Haven't looked at frost line on 100 lb bottle this morning yet. 36-45 degrees in storage area. Will update.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I noticed on my single pane solitude is that there are 1/2 gaps in the window seals on the bottom. Definitely areas for the heat to escape. Now that I think about it, those gaps must be intentional as ever window has 2 of the in roughly the same place. Perhaps it's for internal condensation to drain away? Seems like a bad trade ofd if that's the case.

I also obeserved no insulation in the plumbing area where the grey and black tank drains merge (behind the basement wall between the basement floor and coroplast). Did you have a similar insulation void? If so did you fill it with batt insulation?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast