User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wheel Bearing Question

I just pulled into a RV Park in Columbia Falls, Montana. One of the staff was helping me line up my Reflection and noticed a black substance on my trailer rims. He said that he heard this could be a problem and suggested I get some advice from a RV Mechanic locally. I mentioned this to a RV dealer service location several months ago but they indicated it wasn't a problem. Of course there was only a little then and only on one side. Now there is much more on all four rims and a lot of it since I left the last park 150 miles ago.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have driven the Coach about 2000 miles now plus the delivery from Indiana to California-Arizona

Thanks
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana
    2014 Grand Designs Reflection 293RES #0477
    2013 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the brakes aren't releasing completely. Try checking how high you brake controller is set. If too high it wouldn't release them all the way causing them to burn up. A tell tale sign would be when you stop you smell something burning.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it on the inside or outside of the rims? Drum brakes do not typically deposit alot of dust on the wheels. It's usually contained within the drum, which, if excessive, may cause sqweeky brakes. Was it a dry dusty substance (indicating brake dust from possible excessive brake wear) or wet and oily/greasy (indicating wheel bearing grease being thrown onto the rims from a bad seal)? A bad wheel bearing seal will also cause the grease to be thrown throughout the wheel well area.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. It's an oily substance spraying onto the rims and it now looks like it's on the inside of the rims too. I just noticed that today. I don't see excessive dust or hear the brakes squealing. The brakes seem to be working okay. My controller is usually set to 5.5, not sure if that's a reading across all models.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredVagabond View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. It's an oily substance spraying onto the rims and it now looks like it's on the inside of the rims too. I just noticed that today. I don't see excessive dust or hear the brakes squealing. The brakes seem to be working okay. My controller is usually set to 5.5, not sure if that's a reading across all models.
    I would definitely have that looked at. If the bearing seals are leaking, it may eventually throw the grease out and damage the bearings from lack of proper lubrication. It may also get grease on the braking surfaces rendering the brakes useless.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, have a guy coming by tomorrow to take a look. I'll let let you know what he says. Hopefully this will be covered by warrantee, since it only has a few thousand miles.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope so too. Even if it isn't, a wheel bearing re-pack job should run about $180 to $300 depending on where you take it and what parts are required. I had my last one done at a local Les Schwab tire store for about $180 which included new seals. The bearings were fine. It can get much more expensive if they have to start replacing bearings at $40 to $60 a pop. good luck
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The technician said I could make it to Missoula about 150 miles okay. He also said it was definitely the wheel bearings, probably due to the caps not being put on properly at the manufacturer. I took it to Bretz RV Missoula and they completed the bearing pack and seals for $250.00 ouch. They are submitting for warranty but no promises of course.
    Gary
    Hamilton, Montana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredVagabond View Post
    The technician said I could make it to Missoula about 150 miles okay. He also said it was definitely the wheel bearings, probably due to the caps not being put on properly at the manufacturer. I took it to Bretz RV Missoula and they completed the bearing pack and seals for $250.00 ouch. They are submitting for warranty but no promises of course.
    Glad it turned out okay. Don't know if the warranty will cover it. If less than a year old, it should. It's always a good idea to take pictures if you see something that doesn't look right. They could help determine if it was a mfg defect covered by warranty. Glad you caught it when you did. If a bearing were to go bad, it could possibly seize and cause a whole host of very nasty (and expensive) things to happen. Good luck.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa