User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Propane Hose Leak - Another Place to Check

In addition to checking propane hoses for cracks I would suggest checking where the hose and the male NPT or inverted flare fitting are crimped to the hose. This is the end opposite of the big green knob. What you should look for: with the hose disconnected from the tank attempt to rotate the hose; it should not rotate at the NPT or inverted flare fitting.

Smelled propane this morning at the right side compartment. First thought was it is time to replace the red 30psi regulator. I shut off the tank, in the process of disassembling noticed the hose rotating. I changed the hose instead of the 30psi regulator, problem resolved.

Note: prior to disassembly a bubble solution didn’t bubble at the fittings, hoses or regulator. Regardless my nose knew there was a leak.
    Colan and Marilyn Arnold
    Des Moines, IA - kind of, on the road full time.
    Currently in Durango, Colorado
    Momentum 350M originally, now a 397TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nose knows.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    In addition to checking propane hoses for cracks I would suggest checking where the hose and the male NPT or inverted flare fitting are crimped to the hose. This is the end opposite of the big green knob. What you should look for: with the hose disconnected from the tank attempt to rotate the hose; it should not rotate at the NPT or inverted flare fitting.

Smelled propane this morning at the right side compartment. First thought was it is time to replace the red 30psi regulator. I shut off the tank, in the process of disassembling noticed the hose rotating. I changed the hose instead of the 30psi regulator, problem resolved.

Note: prior to disassembly a bubble solution didn’t bubble at the fittings, hoses or regulator. Regardless my nose knew there was a leak.
    Changing out a propane tank today . . . this is becoming far too common in Florida this winter ?? . . . and got a wiff of propane. Noticed that the hose rotated in the switchover valve fitting as Colan describes. Sure enough . . . soap solution confirmed that this fitting was leaking. Thanks Colan! @carnolddsm

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Colan. Will check ours too!
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the age of our 303 I am definitely going to check this out. Thanks, Colan !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just started to have a problem. the propane tanks run out much too fast, soapy water solution did not show a leak but I could smell propane. Check the pigtails as you suggested and on both sides the hose will rotate between the end fitting and the crimp. Looking for replacements locally in this small town.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Just started to have a problem. the propane tanks run out much too fast, soapy water solution did not show a leak but I could smell propane. Check the pigtails as you suggested and on both sides the hose will rotate between the end fitting and the crimp. Looking for replacements locally in this small town.
    Another place to look for propane leaks is the tank valve. I have a 2020 337 that was leaking from the threads where the valve screws into he tank. Replaced the valve and no more leak. If you can’t find the leak with soap you might want to get a gas detector. I got this one and it found my leak. (Y201) https://yeezou.com/
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will check the tank valves again, I read where you had a tank valve problem. I had checked all the connections including the tank valves with soapy water and couldn't find a bubble leak.
    i did find the pigtail end connector crimp rotates. I couldn't find the correct pigtails locally 1/4 inch inverted flair 15 inch length light green twist knob, ordered through Amazon. I suppose i could have looked for pigtail with a black colored twist knob but i wanted to replace the pigtails with the same kind that was in the RV originally. Should get them today, we see if that fixes the problem.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I will check the tank valves again, I read where you had a tank valve problem. I had checked all the connections including the tank valves with soapy water and couldn't find a bubble leak.
    i did find the pigtail end connector crimp rotates. I couldn't find the correct pigtails locally 1/4 inch inverted flair 15 inch length light green twist knob, ordered through Amazon. I suppose i could have looked for pigtail with a black colored twist knob but i wanted to replace the pigtails with the same kind that was in the RV originally. Should get them today, we see if that fixes the problem.
    I couldn't find my leak until I got the gas detector and even with the detector I had to put the sensor right on the threads of the tank since it was a very small leak. If you just can’t find the leak and you smell it up by the regulator replace the regulator. Sometimes the regulators will have leaks that are hard to find.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did get the new pigtails, 1 day delivery order through Amazon $18.37, of course i ordered two 1/4 inverted flair light green knobs, because that is like the one I took off the street side, but the ones on the RV are 1/4 inverted flair on street side and 1/4 NPT on the curb side. Go figure!. I always get tripped up by that sort of thing! I ordered another pigtail 1/4 NPT through Amazon again, one day delivery to the camp ground. I guess I will have a spare street side pigtail. I think that will fix it, I got it running off the street side tank for right now. but if it doesn't fix it.....Yes i have heard about leaking regulators. The question to myself is, if I replace the regulator because its leaking, do I replace it with one just like was there, that is only a year old and maybe leaks (Fairview RV Camper LP Propane 2 Stage Automatic Changeover Regulator) or do i get a better one. A better one,? Is there such a thing?

Crazy karma, at least maybe i can have scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns and cinnamon raisin english muffins in the morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast