Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rusting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDW-Ottawa View Post
    I wonder what unit #s have experienced rust and corrosion like we have. Is it just the earlier trailer's like mine? Mine is # 1067.
    We have experienced very little rust on our unit (#0104). I must say that we haven't driven on salted roads so that surely has something to do with it. I try to stay on top of keeping stuff lubricated. I can also say that most of the undercarriage and metal components are steel. When steel is exposed to salty conditions, IT'S GONNA RUST unless extraordinary measures are taken to prevent it. I think the RV industry as a whole doesn't do a very good job of corrosion protection. Probably a cost thing. Owners have to be proactive to prevent it, especially if they are going to expose their rigs to environments that will promote corrosion.

My 2 cents
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsons 369rl View Post
    Wow. That looks awful. Did it look like that when you took delivery? I don't get why the dealership would let something like that leave the lot. No way I would have accepted delivery of anything close to that condition.
    Those pics were taken the day I took it home. Partly my fault is guess. I signed the papers before I got to see the trailer. The salesman said it would be painted and polished before I took possession but to be fair the dealer only had 3 days to get the trailer ready after financing was approved. Guess that wasn't enough time. I also picked it up 2 days before my reservations for a 4 day camping trip so didn't have the option to leave the trailer for them to fix it as my trade was now in their possession.

Not sure my build # but it had a date of Nov 2013 so my opinion is that the dealer was just too lazy to thoroughly wash the trailer and the frame after it was brought through salty roads. Either it was delivered on a winter day or the dealer took it to a show on wet/salty roads. It was a long winter here in Northern Ontario. Still no excuse for that much rust and corrosion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The build # is the last 4 digits of your serial number. Its also marked in yellow on your pinbox unless its been cleaned off.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

grandious
    I know my Solitude has out of control rust. The bumper, frame, fittings, axle housing and screws are rusting. It was rusted in the dealers lot but they promised to take care of it before delivery. Perhaps Grand Design will send someone out with a sand blaster and a spray gun. They could remove all the rust, treat the metal and paint everything again.

My theory is 1) the paint job was poor to begin with. 2) they trailers were towed through the winter and all of the road salt was never washed. 3) The resale value is going to suffer dramatically. I like the trailer generally but this is really getting bad.

Also, my bedroom floor plywood squeaks near the bathroom over the duct work. It seems to be getting worse. I hope this isn't water related in some way.

I wouldn't discourage folks from buying Grand Design. It really is a nice trailer. I think there was a batch, mine being one, which suffered a hard mid-west winter.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what unit #s have experienced rust and corrosion like we have. Is it just the earlier trailer's like mine? Mine is # 1067.
    We have a 2015 369RL and the frame is awfully rusted. 😡
    🚲 Conky & Shell🌴
    Runnin' from the frostbite!
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
    Lincoln Vantage 400
    And a coupla sweet mountain bikes!

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandious View Post
    I know my Solitude has out of control rust. The bumper, frame, fittings, axle housing and screws are rusting. It was rusted in the dealers lot but they promised to take care of it before delivery. Perhaps Grand Design will send someone out with a sand blaster and a spray gun. They could remove all the rust, treat the metal and paint everything again.

My theory is 1) the paint job was poor to begin with. 2) they trailers were towed through the winter and all of the road salt was never washed. 3) The resale value is going to suffer dramatically. I like the trailer generally but this is really getting bad.

Also, my bedroom floor plywood squeaks near the bathroom over the duct work. It seems to be getting worse. I hope this isn't water related in some way.

I wouldn't discourage folks from buying Grand Design. It really is a nice trailer. I think there was a batch, mine being one, which suffered a hard mid-west winter.
    Our bedroom floor squeaks too.
    🚲 Conky & Shell🌴
    Runnin' from the frostbite!
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
    Lincoln Vantage 400
    And a coupla sweet mountain bikes!

grandious

Rust

Quote Originally Posted by Conk Shell View Post
    We have a 2015 369RL and the frame is awfully rusted. 😡
    The last four of my VIN is 1265. If yours is like mine, anything painted black will rust. The bumper, fittings, frame .....

C130TN
    I did not buy a particular 2015 385TH due to severe rust and was concerned about the problem with other units after seeing this particular 385. Dealer did agree to repaint it all to try and complete the sale but it was too excessive for me. I called Grand Designs and was told the dealers are supposed to clean the units when they arrive if delivered in the winter with possible salt. I was told the dealerships know this and it's very clear that they are responsible. I ended up going to another dealership out of state but my frame looks great. But, all of them will eventually show a little rust over a few years, especially if used on salty roads and not cleaned. My previous 2011 toy hauler showed no signs of any abnormal rust at all but I kept it very clean and never towed on salty roads.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is that the bare unpainted frames sat out and we're rusty before they had $5.00 worth of paint put on over the already rusty frames.
    Becky, BoBo and Mike
    2015 Solitude 369RL
    2020 GMC 2500 Duramax
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtclod View Post
    My guess is that the bare unpainted frames sat out and we're rusty before they had $5.00 worth of paint put on over the already rusty frames.
    That is my guess also. Salt during the winter raises heck with stuff, but hidden rust doesn't stay hidden for long. The better dealers clean and redo the frames as needed, the others well, they sell rusty stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast