Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rusting

I have had my Solitude for 4 months. Last weekend I noticed the bumper, beams and box for the steps are beginning to rust. The key locks and thumb locks on the storage compartments are starting to corrode as well as most of the screws. What can I do to remove the rust and corrosion and prevent further rust and corrosion?
    Joe - Dallas, Texas
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not noticed rust on our locks but they were terrible to try and use you really had to struggle with them. We used plain old Vaseline on the key and shoved it into the locks. They turn like a breeze now and won't rust nor will they freeze. We use Vaseline in all door locks and the pin connection to the trucks about twice or three times a year.
    Lostincanada and Jahna
    AKA Derek and Tatjana plus our pups Shadow and Nani
    2012 Ram 2500
    2015 Reflection 337
    Hailing from Southern Ontario Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applied Rustoleum Rubberized undercoating (black) (spray can $4 & 1qt can $20 at Home Depot) to all of the exposed metal (and bolt heads), side I-Beam, rear bumper, inside the rear bumper (as much as possible), exterior metal tubes encasing the levelling struts, metal box holding the stairs, and even to the metal walls inside the propane compartments. I also sprayed inside my front compartment after I caulked the gaps in there because that compartment was not water proof. I also used a matt black paint where applicable. I use both products as need for touch ups. You can use the "rust conversion" stuff if you think that necessary. I only had some surface rust so I just applied the undercoating. Before using the undercoating, I washed and wiped down the surfaces (where possible)

I used "RustCheck" to protect the trail air suspension between the tires as its a lighter product. Rustcheck is a Canadian product and don't know if its available in the USA www.rustcheck.com).

I used Boeshield-T9 ($20-$25 a can) on locks and other areas that needed it. I even apply Boeshield everywhere on my bicycle with a rag and its good for 3 months (I missed one screw it rusted so I know it works to prevent corrosion from salty environments near the ocean or where they use road salt.

For thumb locks and metal strike plats (entry door and slam door latches), I applied several coats of clear lacquer before installing the new ones that Grand Design sent to replace the ones that rusted prematurely in less than 3 months.

I heard that Quick-Glo is good to remove rust from chrome and protect from further corrosion so I will be buying that to check it out on my trailer wheels and truck bumper.

Hope that helps.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aaron! that does help.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Ideas!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the great ideas. I guess I need to do some shopping this weekend.
    Joe - Dallas, Texas
    2014 Solitude 369RL
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 LTZ 4x4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 293res was built in Nov/13. I purchased it June 2014. My frame and all latches were very rusty and corroded. Looks like the dealer drove it through some pretty salty roads and didn't bother to clean it up afterwards. The dealer said they would paint the frame and polish the latches before I picked it up but of course that never got done. I removed the wheels, wire brushed the rust, painted the frame with rust paint and applied plenty of Rust Check Coat & Protect. I also polished all of the latches. Took over 2 full days days of my time. Upon removing the wheels to do the work I found that the rims were also corroded. The rim manufacturer is sending new rims. Some pics of the rust
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10494...Pfy1ePw8a6vsgE
    Beyond the rust I also have an issue with some bubbles under the linoleum causing the slide to rub through. I have a bad entry door assembly and some damage to my pantry door. The black tank doesn't shut tight so I get a nice rush of brown water when I remove the cap. My water heater didn't work on electric (found it unplugged inside the cabinet).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. That looks awful. Did it look like that when you took delivery? I don't get why the dealership would let something like that leave the lot. No way I would have accepted delivery of anything close to that condition.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thompsons 369rl View Post
    Wow. That looks awful. Did it look like that when you took delivery? I don't get why the dealership would let something like that leave the lot. No way I would have accepted delivery of anything close to that condition.
    Those pics were taken the day I took it home. Partly my fault is guess. I signed the papers before I got to see the trailer. The salesman said it would be painted and polished before I took possession but to be fair the dealer only had 3 days to get the trailer ready after financing was approved. Guess that wasn't enough time. I also picked it up 2 days before my reservations for a 4 day camping trip so didn't have the option to leave the trailer for them to fix it as my trade was now in their possession.

Not sure my build # but it had a date of Nov 2013 so my opinion is that the dealer was just too lazy to thoroughly wash the trailer and the frame after it was brought through salty roads. Either it was delivered on a winter day or the dealer took it to a show on wet/salty roads. It was a long winter here in Northern Ontario. Still no excuse for that much rust and corrosion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trailer's frame was rusting the same way just from basic use. I drove from Ontario, Canada to Florida in December after picking it up on November 11, 2013 so it wasn't in much snow and yet the frame, strike plates, and screws were rusting. Also screws above the windows and on the rear ladder were corroding. I am hoping that GD received better screws and metals so the new replacements will be ok.
    Aaron & Donna
    2014 Solitude 369RLS #1067
    2010 Dodge RAM 3500 SLT Mega-Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7L Cummins Diesel
    AMP Power Step Running Boards, Bed Step, & Bed Step2; Garmin RV760 GPS & EEZRV TPMS; Truck Covers USA Roll Cover
    Firestone Rear Air Suspension System, on-board compressor with 5 Gallon tank and Air port; Hijacker 16K Ultra Slider 5th Wheel Hitch, Dee Zee Truck Tailgate Assist; DU-HA Humpstor Truck Bed Storage Box; Voyager Rear Back Up Camera System
    YAKUPSŪ Vertical Kayak Rack and Custom Lippert 2" Receiver; Sailun S637ST tires; WeBoost Cell Phone Booster.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast