Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forum Safety and Personally Identifiable Information - Ham Radio Operators

This topic is not just for this forum, but any place you leave your digital footprint, including facebook.

How many of you are Amateur Radio operators and have shared your call sign on a forum or social media? If you have, anyone with access to these sites can obtain a significant amount of information about you.

For example, I typed in my call sign into Google this morning. I was able to see my full name and my physical address. On one site a satellite view and street view of my home popped up. There are over 13,000 people who've registered for this forum in the past, including many from foreign countries that we've banned. There are over 20K people on the big FB GDRV page. So if even one of those 30K+ members was mining for data, your ham call can be very helpful to them.

If you're concerned about this information being available on the forum and would like it removed, send me a PM with your call sign and I'll search and remove any posts that show it.

Jim

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Forum Safety and Personally Identifiable Information - Ham Radio Operators

Thanks Jim, good to know but kinda of ironic as I’ve seen many members here talk about how they won’t use Facebook or any social media because of privacy concerns.

Not to spook anyone, but I’d like to take this opportunity to point out a few facts.

Having spent 20 years in IT, some of it in Information Security (stopping hackers) I’ve learned how relatively easy it is to gain personal information on practically anyone. It would frighten you how much information I can find out about any member of this forum.
    Some folks here have a false sense of security because they believe not having a Facebook account means they are somehow immune. Technically, “this forum” IS social media. We all access it as a social group, and we share photos and links and sometimes personal details. Sometimes we post photos or descriptions of our homes, photos of our vehicles and trailers (with license plate numbers) information on workplaces, hobbies, pets names (which are often used as passwords), some (like me) even post exact locations while we’re camping. Many members often post details about their history, including place of birth, where they grew up, went to school, etc. (also commonly used for passwords). This is all the same info hackers gain from Facebook. They usually have to work at acquiring it, yet many members post it all here openly. Anyone (including non-members) can click on anyone’s member name then view only that persons entire history of posts. Within an hour a stranger can have your entire biography.
    I’m not saying we should be paranoid, wear foil hats and never post at all, just be more cognizant of WHAT you’re sharing and don’t be naive enough to believe you are any safer here than on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good info. Thanks.

My theory is: If you don't want someone to see your information, don't post it on internet social media, regardless of how secure you feel the site is.

Another source of location information is the meta-tag information attached to most JPG pictures (unless you remove or disable it).

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ham Radio aside, doesn't apply to me;

The state you reside in makes a big difference in how much data can be mined and how much personal information others have access to.

Florida is horrendous for privacy. Between property appraisers and clerk of courts websites you can pull up an person's financial history from initial mortgage and car loan amounts to any marriage, divorce, bankruptcy, tickets, arrests, arbitration, law suit, etc.. You can see amounts paid for their homes, if they pay their taxes on time, etc.

Freaking crazy. You can build a very accurate financial picture of someone with this information.

Social media is another big one.

We aren't on social media and all our property is owned in a foreign (to FL) LLC or in Canada which makes obtaining the info much more difficult so it makes it harder to dox us. Even if you know my full name and where I live you'd see some old business websites that for whatever reason are still active and news articles but otherwise all the "find people now" sites have me at an address that is 10 years old or more or at my old corporate address. Same with phone numbers. All of which are long gone.

The ironic thing about all this is people fear Google and their reach, which I agree is significant, but i've yet to see any of my google information on the internet anywhere. Even my Good voice number that I have used for a decade now isn't even listed anywhere.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately bad actors are going to find you if they want, and at this stage of life most of us have already left enough of a digital footprint that is too large to cover. Ironically while QRZ and other ham call search sites block street address info unless logged in, anyone can go to the FCC.gov ULS and find it immediately.

I did previously have my call on a vanity Am Radio license plate but dropped that years ago when all the road rage incidents started. I realized anyone with my call sign could look me up and come to my house.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ... and I just saw someone post their mobile phone number on this forum today...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the day it was started, I shied away from the “Just for fun (?), how did you pick your user name?” thread. Some answers are innocuous, but our answer would not be! Food for thought.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    From the day it was started, I shied away from the “Just for fun (?), how did you pick your user name?” thread. Some answers are innocuous, but our answer would not be! Food for thought.
    N
    Point taken.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch out!!!! someone might be looking
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my perception. Unless you are running for public office or are hiding from some nefarious entity, you really are just one among millions. Do I really think others could exploit the fact that I prefer more "comfortable attire" than most do? No. People tend to think their lives are so important that others are just waiting for the opportunity to exploit them. Case in point, people will block out their license plate on the internet anytime they post a picture. You are aware your license plate is totally exposed everytime you drive down the road, aren't you? What's the major difference? I'm not saying one should publish any and all information in public forums or social media, some information needs to remain confidential. Otherwise you do stand out and become vulnerable for being a target. Posting about your 2A point of view for example. But by the same token, in the vast majority of instances, you are no more important target wise, than millions of others.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast