User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    Another gadget I got with my smoker was a Weber IGrill2, man what a great gadget. It is a temperature monitor that can accept up to four probes, I have two meat probes and two ambient probes. It is Bluetooth enabled, so all the temperatures display on your phone. You can set ranges and targets for each probe and the app will alert you when the temperatures fall out of range. It has graphs that show the trends over time. I played with it last night while seasoning my smoker and it was simply awesome, I could see exactly what was going on. I learned a lot about fire management just by watching the trends, first lesson learned was do not put a lot of wood on the fire!! Highly recommended, it is really well built and easy to use. At $66 for the base unit, it makes for a great Christmas gift.

DAN
    I love the iGrill 2. It is powered by AA batteries, not a CR2032. Chicken comes out juicy and perfect every time. Steaks are exactly how you want it, without any guessing. Salmon is just right. I use it on exspensive cuts of meats. I am taking a Panama Canal Cruise and will spent Christmas in a time-share in Florida. I will do a 4 bone Prime Rib. My iGrill 2 was the first thing I packed for the cruise/Timeshare adventure!!!
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another gadget I got with my smoker was a Weber IGrill2, man what a great gadget. It is a temperature monitor that can accept up to four probes, I have two meat probes and two ambient probes. It is Bluetooth enabled, so all the temperatures display on your phone. You can set ranges and targets for each probe and the app will alert you when the temperatures fall out of range. It has graphs that show the trends over time. I played with it last night while seasoning my smoker and it was simply awesome, I could see exactly what was going on. I learned a lot about fire management just by watching the trends, first lesson learned was do not put a lot of wood on the fire!! Highly recommended, it is really well built and easy to use. At $66 for the base unit, it makes for a great Christmas gift.

DAN
    Me being a Techno Geek and having, or have had many temperature devices, you need to verify their accuracy on occasion. I have CyberQ, Thermowork, Fluke, a few older Weber devices that are just used for timers now. If your probe is not accurate then the results you expect or get can make you think that recipe sucks. Been there done that! 10 degrees off makes a lot of difference on a steak or a smoked Brisket/pork shoulder that has not broken down the collagen, or is very dry.

There are few thing that are the enemy of these devices/probes. High heat, Moisture and low quality circuits.
    1. High Heat: The wire gets to hot and insulation melts or temperature exceeded probe sensor temp(done that). Best used lower pit temp, indirect heat, keep away from flame.
    2. Moisture: Most probes are not water proof and very low voltage sensitive devices. Moisture is a conductor and can mess up the readings. So be careful when cleaning. Another issue is moisture in the pit/bbq. Some people have water smokers or use a water pan when cooking. The high moisture content can get inside the probe (done that, I have bunch from my CyberQ that have gone bad in moisture rich smoking). Make sure you can get replaceable probes
    3. Some devices may have low quality circuit that are not temperature compensated or their calibration pots are low quality or may move. (the ones I use for timers)

With that said.... Check your probes accuracy on occasion. Low temp and high around 200 degrees) if possible.. I use other probes to compare or verify different temperature devices at different temps. If they all don't track then something is wrong.

Water bath: https://www.thermoworks.com/thermape...ing_an_icebath
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Memphis dust is a great starting point. I've gotten to the point where I don't measure anything when making a batch. Just toss it all in a big jar, close the lid and shake it up. I've added a little more garlic, and I still put some Kosher salt in.

I have a "cajun injector" branded electric smoker. It does a better job than my previous masterbuilt when it comes to getting the smoke going. With two young kids it's nice to set and forget. One of these days I'll have something other than the weber kettle on the patio. I'm really liking the versatility of a ceramic egg.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another gadget I got with my smoker was a Weber IGrill2, man what a great gadget. It is a temperature monitor that can accept up to four probes, I have two meat probes and two ambient probes. It is Bluetooth enabled, so all the temperatures display on your phone
    A remote thermometer like that really is a game changer for smoking. We've got a much simpler ThermoPro TP-08 to use with the Big Green Egg, but it helps us be able to do a better job at everything we smoke. It's also great for stuff besides smoking, like roasting a leg of lamb, since lamb is so sensitive to being overcooked. We'll probably smoke both a pork shoulder and a turkey at different times during this holiday season.

Our rub to use on the pork shoulder is pretty simple:
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/4 cup regular sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup coarse (Kosher) salt
    1/4 cup roasted garlic seasoning
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon chipotle
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remote thermometers are one of the greatest inventions for any true BBQ fan.it means I can do other things during a 6 hour cook. I use 2 now, one in the meat and one on the exhaust to keep an eye on cook temp.
    Back on subject. That offset smoker sure looks sweet. Best smoker I ever owned was a trailer model offset. Loved too cook on it but the amount of real estate It had meant you needed a lot of meat on the grill. Had one about the size of the OP, loved it and it cooked fantastic but going full time I could not justify the room it took up. So I now use a Weber 22 inch. Can do 1/2 briskets or 2 racks of ribs. Kinda limited but ok to pack up and travel. If I could find a 1/2 size offset that kept temp steady would love to go back.
    Love the new cooker. Am envious.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan
    Awesome looking smoker. When we decided to get our new RV, I looked for one that I could take a smoker with me. Not as hard core as yours is but I have a Traeger 575. Took the legs off of it and store it in the basement on the slide of my 375! I also have a Fireboard that will connect to WiFi and Bluetooth.
    Jim & Therese White...and Ginger too
    2018 F350DRW 6.7l Lariat CC
    2020 Solitude 375-RES
    Retired Royal Canadian Navy

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My congratulations! It's really nice, I know this feeling. Your smoker looks good. Have you already tried make anything there?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123