User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New Smoker Has Arrived!!

For many, many years I have wanted to do real BBQ, but never got around to it. I puddered with Walmart grills and smokers here and there, but never found the energy and time to do the real thing. I approached the boss (wife) a couple weeks ago and told her I wanted a real smoker, one I could drink beer and tend to all day while I cooked dinner. I told her I would not only cook the dinner, but I would clean up afterwards. I cook, I clean was the mantra. She agreed!!!!

Today, I took delivery of a Horizon 20" Classic Smoker weighing in at 400+ pounds. The unit is 100% American made, 1/4" American steel construction manufactured in Oklahoma. She is a tank, a serious piece of equipment.

This is my new hobby, drinking beer and whiskey while cooking spectacular food filled with fat and flavor!!!! Nobody can top my new hobby.

DAN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3419.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	16764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	16765 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	16766
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, Dan! That’s a beast. Do you have an injector? Very helpful to inject herb infused liquid into the meat to keep it moist for the long, slow cook.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! I believe Horizon took the place of Oklahoma Joe's when they quit making smokers. You will love smoking on it. Very easy to control the temperature with the 1/4 steel. I've had mine for 18 years and still cooks great. Enjoy!!

Chris
    Chris & Kelly-- Tulsa
    Reflection 337 #217, SOLD 7-3-2017
    2015 Ford F350 CC LB
    B & W Companion
    2016 Solitude 369

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice. I have a similar one. Brisket and pulled pork are my favorite smokes using pecan wood when I have it. Doing a pork shoulder tomorrow. Currently sitting in marinade.
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    Congrats, Dan! That’s a beast. Do you have an injector? Very helpful to inject herb infused liquid into the meat to keep it moist for the long, slow cook.
    N
    I do not, but will look into getting one. Any suggestions or are they all pretty much the same?

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another gadget I got with my smoker was a Weber IGrill2, man what a great gadget. It is a temperature monitor that can accept up to four probes, I have two meat probes and two ambient probes. It is Bluetooth enabled, so all the temperatures display on your phone. You can set ranges and targets for each probe and the app will alert you when the temperatures fall out of range. It has graphs that show the trends over time. I played with it last night while seasoning my smoker and it was simply awesome, I could see exactly what was going on. I learned a lot about fire management just by watching the trends, first lesson learned was do not put a lot of wood on the fire!! Highly recommended, it is really well built and easy to use. At $66 for the base unit, it makes for a great Christmas gift.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I do not, but will look into getting one. Any suggestions or are they all pretty much the same?

DAN
    It’s a popular stainless steel one with two injector needles (one with holes in the shaft, one with just the end opening). Looked at it this morning, but name isn’t on it. I’ll investigate further and get back to you. On those Weber probes-take care to use them on leaner meats. We had an unseen flare-up burn up two of our probes.
    N

It was dark this morning. Name’s etched right on the darn thing: Grill Beast. Very heavy stainless, and came with extra o-rings. I wash it well, leave it out to dry, then put it away DIS-assembled. When I want to use it, I spray the rings with PAM, otherwise, it’s a bear to get moving.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    For many, many years I have wanted to do real BBQ, but never got around to it. I puddered with Walmart grills and smokers here and there, but never found the energy and time to do the real thing. I approached the boss (wife) a couple weeks ago and told her I wanted a real smoker, one I could drink beer and tend to all day while I cooked dinner. I told her I would not only cook the dinner, but I would clean up afterwards. I cook, I clean was the mantra. She agreed!!!!

Today, I took delivery of a Horizon 20" Classic Smoker weighing in at 400+ pounds. The unit is 100% American made, 1/4" American steel construction manufactured in Oklahoma. She is a tank, a serious piece of equipment.

This is my new hobby, drinking beer and whiskey while cooking spectacular food filled with fat and flavor!!!! Nobody can top my new hobby.

DAN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3419.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	16764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3424.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	16765 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3427.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	16766
    Saawwweeeet!! Smoked turkey is amazing. Then again everything would be amazing in this smoker.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the smoker! Looks good and Sounds heavy duty.

I won a small Traeger smoker at the NorCal rally, so that my RV smoker.

My real smoker is a Cookshack FEC100.

You probably already know this stuff, but thought I would through it out there, because I remember when I started....

This is my favorite smoking tool, accurate and fast, it gets used almost daily for all kinds of stuff:https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4 Used on the pro smoking circuit allot.

I ordered one of these for the RV for Christmas: https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke Hmmm, they were on sale

If you want my rub recipe for what I use on pork I would be glad to pass it on.

Amazing Ribs is great site learning recipes and is my goto. You should try a Spatchcock Turkey (or Chicken), injected with unsalted butter, with Simon and Garfunkel spices (parsley, sage rosemary and thyme) between the meat and skin. 16 lb. bird in a 1.5 hours and very moist. Cooks pretty evenly. Everything you wanted to know about cooking a turkey but were afraid to ask: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...dapted-cooking

Now I'm getting hungry... Have Fun.... PM me if you have any questions, I may be able to help. Note that I use pellet smokers so if its about managing your fire, can't help.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang it! You guys are almost forcing me to take up a new hobby.

Just another way this forum is costing me money.

Dan, that looks like a smoking BEAST!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast