User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hide-A-Spare vs Retract-A-Spare

I've done a cursory search here and in other topics and can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have experience with either of these methods of moving my spare tire from the bumper.

Hide-A-Spare uses a rack method while the Retract-A-Spare uses a cable/winch method.

Do you have an opinion as to which is better? The Retract-A-Spare would take up less space and seems easier to install, but I have a couple of concerns with the cable and winch.

Valid opinions appreciated. Thanks!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using a Hide a Spare. I had a under-bed spare tire carrier from a pickup truck given to me but didn't use it.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nadkaw1957 View Post
    I've done a cursory search here and in other topics and can't seem to find anything.

Does anyone have experience with either of these methods of moving my spare tire from the bumper.

Hide-A-Spare uses a rack method while the Retract-A-Spare uses a cable/winch method.

Do you have an opinion as to which is better? The Retract-A-Spare would take up less space and seems easier to install, but I have a couple of concerns with the cable and winch.

Valid opinions appreciated. Thanks!
    Marc from KYD has the Hide-A-Spare. At the 3:00 mark in a recent video he talks about it and demos how it works. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFdDsM8_mpI
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Hide-a-spare is pretty hard to find in stock now it seems with the Retract-a-spare being the new and improved option. What annoys me though is I have found pretty much NO information about how to mount it to the frame of a trailer. No pictures or videos at all online.

An advantage of the Hide-a-spare is that you could put other stuff on there too, besides a tire.
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali Diesel DRW (Crew Cab | 8 Ft bed | OEM Puck System | Curt Gooseneck Ball for OEM Puck | Timbrens on rear axle)
    2019 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3740BH-R Fifth Wheel (Onan 5500W LP Generator | MORryde CRE3000 and HD Shackles/Wet Bolts | 3x MORryde Cross Members | 8k Axles and Disc Brakes | Sailun S637 ST | Reese GooseBox 20k 2nd Gen | Splendide Stackable Washer and Dryer)
    Full Suite of Victron Energy Products (2x 5k 24v Quattro Inverter/Charger | 2x 25.6/200 LFP Smart LiFePO4 Batteries | 2880w of Solar Panels across 4x MPPTs | Cerbo GX)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally bought a Hide-A-Spare - so far, so good.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about modifying a Hide-A-Spare to carry the blue tote
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4