User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended tire pressure

I looked at the tires and saw that they were rated at 110psi. While this may be true I am wondering what the recommended tire pressure really is?

Thanks,

Gary Harkins

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
    I looked at the tires and saw that they were rated at 110psi. While this may be true I am wondering what the recommended tire pressure really is?

Thanks,

Gary Harkins
    What brand and model tire
    What size tire
    What trailer
    What does the label on the trailer side state?
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My pennies worth is to inflate to pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. Tire should state "weight at max tire pressure".

Brian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree having details on your rig, the weight, the tires, the rims, etc. is best for people on the forum to give accurate advice, however, I do keep my tires at the full cold pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire. Prior to changing my tires the sticker on the fifth wheel also called for the same pressure. Individual units may vary but the sticker should be near the front street side of your rig. It is in roughly the same format as the one on the door post of your truck. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FEDF20A-670D-4058-98BE-61E2ECD74A78.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	702.0 KB 
ID:	16773
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Gary Harkins
    Gary,
    From https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailer...questions.aspx

Special Trailer (ST) Tires and Air Pressure
    Some tires are specially designed to be used on trailers. These tires include the letters "ST" in the size specification that is listed on the sidewall. The "ST" stands for "special trailer". This kind of tire has a stronger sidewall than an automobile or truck tire so it can handle higher air pressures and higher loads.

Special trailer tires should be inflated to their maximum air pressure. The value for the maximum air pressure should be listed along with the value for the maximum load on the tire's sidewall. These values will usually designate the maximum load at a maximum psi. For example, if the tire is rated at 1,610 lbs maximum at 65 psi, the tire can carry 1,610 lbs of weight if the air pressure is at the maximum of 65 psi. At the maximum air pressure, the tires will perform and wear best, and get the best gas mileage.

If a trailer tire is inflated to a lower air pressure than the maximum, the amount of weight that the tire can carry will be reduced. If a heavier load is put on the trailer tire than what is recommended for that air pressure, the sidewall of the tire could heat up and cause the tire to fail.

You should always inflate your tires when they are cold.

If a tire is over-inflated, it will wear more in the center of the tread, all the way around the tire. If a tire is under-inflated, it will wear on the outside edges of the tread, all the way around the tire.

Check out Special Trailer (ST) Tire Maintenance on Tire Rack's site (about halfway down the page): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=309

I was amazed when I first saw a chart like this: http://www.yournexttire.com/trailer-...flation-chart/
    What it shows is the dramatic drop in load carrying capacity of an ST tire at reduced pressures.

My .02--inflate per the manufacturer's sticker (110psi cold) and call it a day.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto on using max cold inflation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Gary Harkins
    This has been overly covered on the forum where if your tires are original to the RV, then air them to the recommended cold inflation pressure that is listed on the yellow tag installed by GDRV.
    If you have tires that are of a higher load capacity than the originally supplied tires, you can use the pressure chart supplied by the tire manufacturer such as the attached from Goodyear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rv_inflation.pdf  
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wondered what "cold" meant for tire pressures. Is 60 degrees cold? 20? I pumped my Sailun S637 tires to 106psi at 25 degrees thinking they would be at 110psi (at 60 degrees). I checked them the next morning at 55 degrees (in CA, not freezing cold central OR) and they were still 106psi! That surprised me.

What's even more surprising is these tires went to 124psi while driving at 60-70 degrees ambient. 20% jump in pressure!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this definition of "cold": having not been driven, nor in the direct sun, for the past two hours. "Cold" in the summer will be warmer than "cold" in the winter. In setting the pressure at the ambient temperature, you will be accommodating roughly the same pressure increase during use, regardless of what that ambient temperature is.

So yes, as we experienced continually falling temperatures this fall, we had to add air to accommodate those lower temps.

[Edit] And your driving pressure increase seems about right. I've seen my Westlakes go over 130.
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Gary Harkins
    I always inflate mine to 110psi cold.
    Randy & Sharon (Went full time April 14th 2017)

2016 Ram CC SB Outdoorsman 4x4 CTD
    Michelin 295/70R18
    Fold-A-Cover G4 tonneau,
    Dee Zee truck bed mat,
    Dee Zee tailgate assist,
    Dodge Ram 4x4 Steering Gear Box Brace
    Fumoto oil drain valve,
    Husky floor liners,
    WeatherTech No Drill Mud Flaps,
    Firestone Ride-Rite Suspension Kit
    Reece Pro Series 20K lb 5th wheel hitch

2018 Solitude 375res