User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Step Closer

JerryL

One Step Closer

We are one step closer to becoming an owner. This past weekend we picked out a beautiful Solitude 379FL and waiting for financing to be approved. I am however still curious about two things.

1. The 379FL is a heavy rig 16,000 GVRW and the dealer said I could get by with a 3/4 ton diesel. I wonder what y'all think about that.
    2. I am concerned about the noise from the Living Room AC unit and its affect on TV volume. I am interested in hearing what y'all have to say about the AC noise.

Thanks
    Jerry & Susie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums, Jerry and Susie.
    1. There's several posts about the weight of the 379 and the suggestion most make is that a 1 ton is the way to go.
    Here's a link to a great discussion about the 379 http://www.mygrandrv.com/for...le-for-a-379FL I'm certain others will pop in here and add to the info.
    2. as to the air conditioner...it's something we all live with here's a link to a previous discussion http://www.mygrandrv.com/for.../1849-Loud-a-c

Good luck with your financing. The 379 is a beautiful RV!

edit note: opps, meant 1 ton We have a 3/4 ton diesel and there's no way we'd try to pull the 379.
    Renee & Bill -- Central Louisiana
    2014 Solitude 305RE #404
    2007 F250

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a dry weight of 13,800 lbs and a pin weight of 3000 lbs., you're outside the capabilities of a 3/4 ton truck. You really need a 1 ton dual rear wheel truck to haul one.

In reality, your actual loaded weight will be substantially more than dry weight.

I have a 3/4 ton diesel crew cab pickup. And I'm supposedly good for 13,200 towing weight. But the pin weight comes up short. My bed won't take any 3000 actual pounds.

So I'm going with the 323BHS Reflection with a dry weight of slightly less than 12K. A 3/4 ton truck would be perfect for Reflections--but not Solitudes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I wouldn't tow anything that big with a 3/4 ton, even a dually, although it can be done. I towed my Sandpiper which was about 3000lbs lighter with my 2500HD short bed SRW, but was always very warry of weight. Just for piece of mind I'm glad I stepped up to a 1 ton dually before I bought my 369. Just my $.02 and your actual mileage may vary.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum Jerry and I have to agree with the others, a 3/4 Ton is not the truck for the 379 or any of the Solitudes. I have a 1 Ton SRW and I'm right at the limits with my 369RL. For the 379 I would do a 1 Ton Dually, that's just my 2 cents.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reflections and their lighter PIN WEIGHT are perfect for "3/4" ton trucks, IMHO.

What I have learned is to READ the literature on the truck and you will find 3/4 and 1 ton terms don't really apply when it comes to carrying capacity and towing ability. Pin weight over that drive axle and how much that bed is able to "carry" is numero uno! That is where the "Dually" comes in to play and their ability to carry more on that drive axle.

Ford, Chevy and Dodge diesels all have different axle capabilities on all of their configurations of trucks. They ALL can PULL your rig, that much is true. The first question to ask is (better yet, read the literature) what is the pin weight? Find out how much PIN WEIGHT you're going to put on that drive axle and you will have the direction on what truck you're going to need. Not much difference in an SRW F250 and F350 EXCEPT that the 350 can "carry" a bit more over the same axle. Now, throw in dual rear wheels and that F350 is in a whole different league.

The AC? The Dometic AC is nosier than the Atwood AC but the Dometic has a longer track record here in the states than Atwood.

Choose your poison....
    Dean and Cindy
    2014 337 RLS
    Firestone Ride - Rite Airbags
    Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel

tgalley
    They also told me you could "get by" with a 3/4 ton PU. Don't believe it. I am full-time in a 379FL, and it is a beast to tow - keep in mind fully loaded weight not dry weight.

I looked for a long time at all the one ton options, and for me it was an easy decision in the end. 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited DRW with the AISIN transmission, 6.7L Cummins engine - most towing capacity and far and away the nicest and quietest interior (GM made some inroads for 2015, but they probably have all been recalled for defects about a dozen times; Ford a distant third on interiors). They are all expensive. MSRP on the fully equipped Ram is north of $70K, but of course you don't pay that.

AC noise: minor issue and it runs a lot in Texas in the summer; I don't watch much TV, and use close captioning a lot anyway.

Good luck on the 379FL! I have only had very minor issues (striker on stove broke; USB charging station didn't work), and GD was very responsive to these glitches.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to say go with a 1 ton dually. I am on my second Dodge diesel dually. and chose it because no matter what 5th wheel I have it is very capable of handling it. We generally go to the mountains and have never had a issue pulling the hills. I also feel the stability of the dually on the highway is fantastic in high winds.
    Mark & Midge
    Callie our grandaughter
    Cooper our Golden
    303rls #235
    2004 Dodge Cummins Dually
    Lawrence, KS
    Mark-Retired
    Midge-HSUS State Director

JerryL
    Thanks for all the responses. They were eye opening to say the least. We want truck shopping this week And set our sights on a dodge Dodge 3500 diesel DRW but quickly found out that it was out of our price range. So we have cancelled our deal on the Solitude and are now considering a Reflection 337RLS. It is lighter and has a pin weight that the Dodge 2500 can handle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you re-thought the weight issue. I had a friend that was a signature away from buying a brand new 42ft brand X toy hauler. He has a 1 ton Ford SWR diesel and, of course the dealer assured him he had plenty of truck to pull this 15300 lb dry weight, 3800 lb pin weight (dry) behemoth. He mentioned it to me and I said "are you freeking kidding?!?!". We went to the computer and I showed him the numbers. He needed a dually. A new truck was not in the budget. Dealers need to be held accountable for what they tell buyers. It would have been unsafe for him, his family, and others on the road if he had gone through with the purchase based on what the dealership "told" him. Anything to make a sale. Sad.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate dishonest sales tactics.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast