User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewwi View Post
    IMO 910 lbs tongue weight is a little heavy for a 2600RB but no where near 20%. 910 lbs is likely closer to 12% - 13% of your RVs weight, right in the sweet spot.
    I do have a lot of stuff in the storage bay, but some of that was intentional as I was trying to get more tongue weight to settle the trailer down a little. I always tell myself I'm going to add fresh water to help with that, but usually forget. Most of our trips are very short anyway.

Edit: Cool, half my post got cut off somehow.

So, the 20% came from a foggy memory this morning, but I remembered it being at least 18% for sure the last time. Turns out, I found an error in my spreadsheet that calculated the percentage based off the unloaded trailer weight rather than the loaded weight of the trailer... So, that's where the numbers closer to 20% got into my head.

The last trip we took the truck gained 1060lbs when hooked up to the trailer. I didn't get an unhitched trailer weight, but it was 6360lbs hitched. So, that works out to 16.7%.

Another Edit: In discussing this with a friend, I thought about the fact that the hitch was in the cargo bay when I took this weight. According to CampingWorld's site, it weighs about 103lbs. Since I think most of us would consider that TV payload rather than tongue weight, I suppose you could subtract that from the measured weight. However, I'd be shocked if we didn't add 100lbs of tongue weight back by the time we bring all food, clothes and other stuff on board.

I guess I'll try do to do a more complete set of measurements next time we camp which (thanks to a lack of available sites) is looking like the end of April.
    Last edited by TheGuy; 03-01-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO 910 lbs tongue weight is a little heavy for a 2600RB but no where near 20%. 910 lbs is likely closer to 12% - 13% of your RVs weight, right in the sweet spot.
    After doing the calculations via the spreadsheet my tongue weight came out to 920 lbs.
    I'm thinking since most of the storage is forward of the axles they will tend to run a little nose heavy.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are you using to tow a 2600RB?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    The last trip we took the truck gained 1060lbs when hooked up to the trailer. I didn't get an unhitched trailer weight, but it was 6360lbs hitched. So, that works out to 16.7%.
    The tongue weight gets added to the trailer axles weight to get the total trailer weight. Assuming the 6360 lbs is the weight measured at the trailers two axles, your trailer weighs 7420 lbs (1060 + 6360). 1060 lbs is 14.3% of the total trailer weigh.

Edited to fix quote
    . . . the hitch was in the cargo bay when I took this weight. According to CampingWorld's site, it weighs about 103 lbs. Since I think most of us would consider that TV payload rather than tongue weight, I suppose you could subtract that from the measured weight.
    If the 1060 lbs tongue weight included the hitch that was in the tow vehicles cargo bay, the tongue weight is now 957 lbs, the total trailer weight is 7317 lbs, and tongue weight is a modest 13% of total trailer weight.
    Last edited by Chewwi; 03-01-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tongue weight gets added to the trailer axles weight to get the total trailer weight. Assuming the 6360 lbs is the weight measured at the trailers two axles, your trailer weighs 7420 lbs (1060 + 6360). 1060 lbs is 14.3% of the total trailer weigh.
    . . . the hitch was in the cargo bay when I took this weight. According to CampingWorld's site, it weighs about 103 lbs. Since I think most of us would consider that TV payload rather than tongue weight, I suppose you could subtract that from the measured weight. [/QUOTE]

If the 1060 lbs tongue weight included the hitch that was in the tow vehicles cargo bay, the tongue weight is now 957 lbs, the total trailer weight is 7317 lbs, and tongue weight is a modest 13% of total trailer weight.[/QUOTE]Unfortunately it's not quite so cut and dry in this case because of the way I got my measurements. I had to take two separate trips to the scale for the sake of time. And only the second one had the trailer. We were running so late leaving I didn't have time to do a disconnection at the scale. I'll try to do that next time just for curiosity's sake, but the tongue weight scale tells the story.

Your numbers are pretty good estimate I think.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    2015 Chevy 1500 5.3L LT-Z71 Double Cab Standard Bed
    Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit
    Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Trailer Brake Controller
    Equalizer 1k/10k hitch w/sway bracket jackets
    2019 Imagine 2600RB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234